Advice Request Is Samsung built-in protection enough ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
My current phone is a Samsung S8+ with an integrated build-in protection from McAfee.
Is this protection enough to protect me or is it better to buy an other AV like ESET or Kaspersky or a free AV like Sophos ?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
As long as you don't download apps outside Google Play Store you should be fine. Browsing habits on phones are normally social media, YouTube et al. You'll be fine. I use Sophos Free on my phone.

~LDogg

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
The built-in anti-malware in S8/S8+ is a slimmed down version of McAfee. I recommend you go through the Galaxy Apps store to download the full version of McAfee Mobile Security to benefit from extra features such as Privacy and Web Security. You get a lifetime license on the device, so you might as well utilize it. This is better than alternative free security, since it is effectively the paid/full version.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hello,
My current phone is a Samsung S8+ with an integrated build-in protection from McAfee.
Is this protection enough to protect me or is it better to buy an other AV like ESET or Kaspersky or a free AV like Sophos ?
Mate, congratulations on getting that device! I have the exact some one, and I love it :)

Regarding the protection, Samsung offers just malware scanning from McAfee, but there's no real time protection module. Take that into account. I use ESET on my phone and I love it :)

slash/

Level 6
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Regarding the protection, Samsung offers just malware scanning from McAfee, but there's no real time protection module. Take that into account.
As mentioned in the above post, McAfee Mobile Security offers a real-time protection module. All S8/S8+ users (probably S9/S9+ as well) get a lifetime license for it through the Galaxy Apps store.

With that said, I agree, I used to use ESET on my Note 4 and it is my favourite security app for Android. But with a free lifetime license to McAfee, I didn't feel the need to renew.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
avast! Free (if you don't mind ads when using certain features like faster battery charging), DrWeb Light and Bitdefeder Free are great choices. Then again, if you have free McAfee license, just use that. It's considered good.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As mentioned in the above post, McAfee Mobile Security offers a real-time protection module. All S8/S8+ users (probably S9/S9+ as well) get a lifetime license for it through the Galaxy Apps store.

With that said, I agree, I used to use ESET on my Note 4 and it is my favourite security app for Android. But with a free lifetime license to McAfee, I didn't feel the need to renew.
What I mean is that, the way Samsung provides stock protection through Maintenance app, gives only malware scanning from McAfee, if you want to whole suite you need to download the app. The way it comes, you have no real time protection :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Mostly yes.

The Android userbase varies, so it's really depends on the type of Android user. However some regions are more susceptible to getting Android malware.

My opinion:
  • Antivirus for Android are a waste of resources and money (license or subscription), as are Battery Saving, Files Cleaners and other crappy apps. Lot of click-bait to get you using an Antivirus on Android.
  • Use Google Play Store, but don't download everything.
  • Be vigilant - Malicious apps are present on Play Store. 100k downloads doesn't mean the app is safe.
  • Make sure Play Protect is enabled.
  • APKs from trusted sources only.

Don't nit-pick on my opinions, because I really don't care. :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Don't nit-pick on my opinions, because I really don't care. :)

LOL I was just about to comment something... Not criticize though! :p

IMO, most free Android AV are garbage, bloatware and ads. I personally found specific antivirus applications to provide just the necessary modules without being intrusive nor consuming battery. E.g: Sophos and ESET. No battery saver, ram boosting, junk cleaning modules, just the necessary ones. Would recommend those two :)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
As long as you don't download apps outside Google Play Store you should be fine. Browsing habits on phones are normally social media, YouTube et al. You'll be fine. I use Sophos Free on my phone.

~LDogg

I don't have a smartphone but I insisted on putting Sophos Free on the wife's!. No problems so far. She's a pretty safe user but not security conscious. She thinks I over-react. Too bad, I put it on anyway. :)

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Sure. But a real-time scanner that doesn't drain the battery is not doing much or is compromising safety for battery lifetime. Also it is just *like the sun: Power burns.

edit*

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007 and vtqhtr413

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Hello,
Thanks at all for your answers and comments:)

Mate, congratulations on getting that device! I have the exact some one, and I love it :)

Regarding the protection, Samsung offers just malware scanning from McAfee, but there's no real time protection module. Take that into account. I use ESET on my phone and I love it :)

Hi @RoboMan , You are right, S8+ is a beautiful jewel:love:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.