Is Securing Windows worth it?

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
The common dangers for Windows users:
  1. cracks, pirated software, malicious email attachments.
  2. phishing webpages, malware inside the browser;
  3. friend's pendrive (or USB drive).
The common dangers for Linux users:
  1. phishing webpages, malware inside the browser;
So, let's say that Linux is trhree times as secure as Windows. But, it is still insecure for the happy clickers due to web browsers (hacked email and shopping accounts, stolen credit card data, stolen passwords, etc.). There is no other way - the user must be taught/trained to avoid the common dangers.

nothing is 100% safe but the main point is that Ubuntu with snap apps comes out of the box as secure as a Windows machine that has gone through lockdown.

The point of the thread is not if people can me phished while using Linux, it’s the convenience of having a secure setup out of the box

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
That is not true for the web based malware samples, because they are running the code which is hosted by the web browser (usually JavaScript).:giggle:(y)

It’s true for some exploits as they’ll target the most popular version of the binary but I consider that security by obscurity, not a real plus for Linux and hence didn’t mention it at all.

However, AppArmor out of the box and containerisation via snaps are real protection offered out of the box

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
If instead of Windows someone uses Ubuntu
Many apps don't work in Linux(not usable for some ppl)

1-HMPA
2-Any HIPS software
3-windows defender exploit guard
4-any advanced antivirus like Kpaskery, and Bitdefender, Eset can help you on that.
5-App control/SRP/APPLOCKER(can prevent it)

1-Rehips
2-Sandboxie
3-360 sandbox
4-Comodo sandbox
5-windows store apps(app container)
6-APP-V
7-Cameyo

If you download your software from the store you get updates very fast(windows updates are also fast like Linux)

that's a valid point. but you can still use windows without any serious problem.

idk what are them but in windows, you have enough rootkit protection/detection tools.
1-secure boot
2-early launch anti-malware
3-Measured Boot
4-PatchGuard kernel protection
5-trusted boot
6-Windows Defender System Guard
6-Pchunter
7-Hips software
plenty of rootkit hunter tools:)
Microsoft bug bounty is decent!to me, its the most secure os in the world(attack surface is high but that doesn't mean it's not safe or it's less secure than Linux).you can make it secure with windows inbuilt tools+thridparty av/tools
linux doesn't have an active bug bounty like Microsoft and there are probably many undiscovered vulnerabilities in Linux!

But that’s the point, that on one setup you need to take care of injections and in the other you don’t.
It’s not a question about if windows can be locked down , it’s about comparing the out of the box lockdown and the time (sometimes money too ) saved

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
and how many years you needed to learn about Linux terminal/tools?

Should be the same amount of time needed to learn powershell, the average user doesn’t need to use either
This whole article feels biased towards Linux from the start, the moment it was said Linux has less bugs than Windows I almost spilled my drink laughting.

Linux distros tend to have lots of bugs in the most basic levels, just changing the resolution, theme and even installing APPs can give an headache. Just two years ago all the Ubuntu variants didn't have a working APP Store (which is the most basic funcionally one can have to install APPs).

As for Malware, Linux is extremely vulnerable, doesn't even include a Firewall from the get go. The only thing that makes people believe Linux is more secure than Windows is the fact it's not heavily targeted. But if Linux was as targeted as Windows it would fall in seconds with no effort.

I rarely see people infected with malware nowadays, and there's lots of suites like Kaspersky which are install and forget.

I’m sorry you had to spill your drink but reading better would had prevented that. Please read again, I said it doesn’t have more bugs not that it has less ( for the ..abundance of clarity they could have a similar amount )

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
and how many years you needed to learn about Linux terminal/tools?

(y):giggle:
The Linux distros are very friendly nowadays. The user can use Linux without terminal/tools, and it will be probably safer in practice than Windows. I also believe, that Linux distro with a friendly desktop, is easier to manage for computer illiterate users.
The Linux problem comes from the lack of games. The children who start using the computer, use Windows because of gaming possibilities. After some years, they are used to Windows, and do not like to change it. The second factor is learning MS Office, Excel and Powerpoint, because it can be an advantage to get the work. M$ had a very successful & winning strategy for years.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I tried several distros for my mother, just browser and photos and one card game and they all failed me. Some like Ubuntu suffer from childish bugs, like inability to remember brightness setting, others even fail to install. Those that installed failed to run sound and videos and above all, the card game Solsuite was lagging like hell. Linux never ever, rather XP, I do not have time to spend several years learning how to even get it working. :emoji_expressionless:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I tried several distros for my mother, just browser and photos and one card game and they all failed me. Some like Ubuntu suffer from childish bugs, like inability to remember brightness setting, others even fail to install. Those that installed failed to run sound and videos and above all, the card game Solsuite was lagging like hell. Linux never ever, rather XP, I do not have time to spend several years learning how to even get it working. :emoji_expressionless:
There are common Linux problems on many computers, due to outdated drivers (or lack of them). Windows has much better drivers, and all hardware has Windows drivers - this is not true for many Linux distros. I had the constant problem with WiFi connection. So it is good to buy the computer with preinstalled Linux.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
There are common Linux problems on many computers, due to outdated drivers (or lack of them). Windows has much better drivers, and all hardware has Windows drivers - this is not true for many Linux distros. I had the constant problem with WiFi connection. So it is good to buy the computer with preinstalled Linux.
I think there are much less driver problems with desktop computers. I never had a problem with Linux compatible drivers for internal components, only for peripherals.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
(y):giggle:
The Linux distros are very friendly nowadays. The user can use Linux without terminal/tools, and it will be probably safer in practice than Windows. I also believe, that Linux distro with a friendly desktop, is easier to manage for computer illiterate users.
The Linux problem comes from the lack of games. The children who start using the computer, use Windows because of gaming possibilities. After some years, they are used to Windows, and do not like to change it. The second factor is learning MS Office, Excel and Powerpoint, because it can be an advantage to get the work. M$ had a very successful & winning strategy for years.

Linux is user friendly if everything works fine. Sometimes you even need specific hardware for that. One bad update can get you black screen and most users have no idea what to do. I love linux, have it on laptops for years but they still have long way to go.
People have no idea how many bugs linux have (even critical) and developers doesn't care about it. I reported bugs to ubuntu team, their answer was that they have no time because they are working on new features.

I still believe main issue is 543543543 distros. There should be max. 5 distros and all developers should work on it.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Linux is user friendly if everything works fine. Sometimes you even need specific hardware for that. One bad update can get you black screen and most users have no idea what to do. I love linux, have it on laptops for years but they still have long way to go.
People have no idea how many bugs linux have (even critical) and developers doesn't care about it. I reported bugs to ubuntu team, their answer was that they have no time because they are working on new features.

I still believe main issue is 543543543 distros. There should be max. 5 distros and all developers should work on it.
Linux Mint comes with Timeshift installed and configured to make daily backups, so if an update goes bad, you can recover. You can run it from a Linux flash drive or CD if necessary.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018

Canonical also maintains a hardware compatibility list for LTS, which includes laptop models. if you want a new Linux machine that’s the place to look at

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've used Linux on & off for some years often dual booting - My problem(s) is I get a fair amount of office documents that need editing & then forwarding, I haven't yet found a truly viable alternative to MS Office, & tried them all (though I sometimes dislike it) that keeps all formatting all of the time for the next person who opens it on MS Office.

I also use a few small (Windows) programs that calculate various parameters to do with some work I do - Also programs for with ripping sound & video aren't as good on Linux, dual booting is OK but then its a case of maintaining two OS's & I can't be bothered to do that. Maybe if I didn't have these issues I would probably use Linux as a default OS (or a Chrome book) - However I don't have any problems with Windows & been virus free for 20 odd years so for me Windows 10 aint bad, & actually are very happy with it - Though I do understand Linux fans :)

Last edited:

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
I've used Linux on & off for some years often dual booting - My problem(s) is I get a fair amount of office documents that need editing & then forwarding, I haven't yet found a truly viable alternative to MS Office, & tried them all (though I sometimes dislike it) that keeps all formatting all of the time for the next person who opens it on MS Office.

I also use a few small (Windows) programs that calculate various parameters to do with some work I do - Also programs for with ripping sound & video aren't as good on Linux, dual booting is OK but then its a case of maintaining two OS's & I can't be bothered to do that. Maybe if I didn't have these issues I would probably use Linux as a default OS (or a Chrome book) - However I don't have any problems with Windows & been virus free for 20 odd years so for me Windows 10 aint bad, & actually are very happy with it - Though I do understand Linux fans :)

For me the main reason for windows is really

1) excel , a set of old spreadsheets that I haven’t had the time to convert to something else,

2) Visual Studio

The conveniences these offer are significant. On the other hand if these are offset by security config and maintainance time, converting those spreadsheets to something else and switching to IntelliJ or even VS Code may not be a bad idea.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
It is true that sometimes Linux has problems with some graphics or printers, it is also true that Windows is more compatible with everything in general.
I'm not a fan of anything at this point in time. But in terms of security Linux is better for various reasons. "Linux either love it or leave it":giggle:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I haven't yet found a truly viable alternative to MS Office, & tried them all (though I sometimes dislike it) that keeps all formatting all of the time for the next person who opens it on MS Office.
This is my biggest problem, too. The formatting gets messy when you switch between platforms. Right now, I am using a Windows VM with Office installed on it. When I get tired of that, I can make use of my dual boot.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Did you try it? I mean, all these recover softwares been around for a long time, but in most cases won't work unless is minor issue
Timeshift works for some things, but it does not reverse all changes like Macrium Reflect would do. I am not 100% satisfied with Timeshift's performance, so I make system images, too.
On the other hand, I never have had an issue from a Linux update. I think that Timeshift knows how to uninstall Linux updates, but I personally never tried it in that scenario.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Linux has tremendous bugs, incompatibilities and driver issues.. Linux rarely supports the newest, fastest hardware much less exploits it's strengths. There are significant downsides to Linux because of that and it can take a lot of work to get it working correctly. My NVME cluster won't even work on Linux because Linux has no driver to address it.

For example, try installing Linux of a Lenovo Thinkpad Twist and you'll cry.. Oh, this bios is needed, but if you rolled up past X bios, then you can't roll back to Y bios which Linux needs. But if you are on Y Bios, you still need to do this, do that, Bash this, Bash that, and sometimes though, depending on the version of your motherboard, it may not work. If your NIC serial ends in 5 wireless won't work. It's all a disaster to be honest and Linux for the most part will never gain wide acceptance across any market. (and why it's marketshare hasn't really changed in decades)

Linux works best under a customized environment, embedded systems, or for older hardware. Get Mom and Pop a specific refurbished computer or laptop, verified to run under Linux. Install Ubuntu on it and send them out your door and you'll have a little peace of mind, until it breaks... Get them a Chromebook and you can be sure you won't hear from them again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.