Is the Internet about to get slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Is the Internet about to get slow? .. sloooooow? : http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/10/opinion/van-schewick-internet-slowdown/index.html
(CNN) -- On Wednesday, millions of Americans visiting their favorite websites will encounter the same dreaded image: the spinning wheel of death. This is the symbol of the great "Internet Slowdown" -- a coordinated day of action among hundreds of organizers and some of the world's largest tech firms, including Netflix, Twitter, Etsy, Kickstarter, Mozilla, Foursquare, Reddit, and WordPress. Together they are showing the American public what most of the Internet would look like in a world without "net neutrality." In a word: slow.
These spinning wheels of death foreshadow a future that could be right around the corner. If the Federal Communications Commission adopts its proposed rules, Internet service providers like Comcast or Verizon will be allowed to provide "fast lanes" to websites and services that pay, and slow lanes to the rest. This means that it will be harder for Americans to access those sites that can't afford to pay fees -- including those of new businesses, nonprofits, educators, artists, activists, and faith groups. The result? Startup innovation, free expression, and democratic discourse in America will suffer.
The good news is that it's not too late to save the Internet as we know it. ..

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Solution 1:

Configure servers to give priority to traffic using the slow lanes. Thus during times of heavy load on the server, everybody will be at the same speed as the premium lanes will not pushed down the queue giving the slow lanes enough of a head start for the traffic to be delivered around the same time. Thus, everybody in America has slow internet.

Solution 2 (my favourite):

Configure major servers to block all government IPs and FCC IPs. If America's government can't use services such as Twitter, Wikipedia, Facebook etc. They will be forced to use slow proxies, and maybe then they'll realise just how frustrated average Americans with slow internet connections will be. Just how much less productive America will be with a slow internet connection. Shame it isn't the 80s, this is exactly the kind of anarchy move we'd pull off.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I also noticed a white popup at the right corner of my browsers , i taught i would be a javascript or some thing else. But now i'm getting a feeling and still confused about this news.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@purshupro ~~ This is just a banner to tell you that Softpedia supports net neutrality and disapproves of the new laws to allow internet slow lanes in America. Nothing to worry about, it will be gone by tomorrow ;)

(it's an iframe btw, not javascript)

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
It would be very stupid to pass such laws.

What do you think will happen if internet is slowed down.
The next day there would be revolution. Hundreds of millions of users will protest online. If that does not work then thousands of people will protest in ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.