Advice Request Is the new Windows 10 ransomware protection enough to keep you safe?

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you use the new protections features introduced with the Fall update?

• Yes, All of them.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Yes but only some.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Not yet, but maybe later, i still observing

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • No, i don't need or trust them.

Votes: 10 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A few years ago, maybe many, Microsoft came up with "hidden-hidden folder". Wise maybe doing that with their Folder Hider software. One thing I noticed is eset will completely miss large wise hidden folder, like it's not there. And unchecking MS folder view "hide protected operating system files" has no effect on Wise hidden abilities. It's probably impossible, but it would be great if the outside world could not see hidden folders, only the person sitting in front of the screen can.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
[QUOTE="Lockdown, post: 688132, member: 56349"
One time I had a company owner call me on an emergency basis to his business because he said none of his employees' workstations could connect to the company server. When I got there, the server was not plugged into the outlet.[/QUOTE]

That is a great story, but also a great marketing opportunity. What was the reason (the information/opinions he got from other people and from AppGuard) he bought AppGuard? There are a lot of midsized to smaller of which many have little security awareness. So why choose AppGuard.

Thread author
[QUOTE="Lockdown, post: 688132, member: 56349"
One time I had a company owner call me on an emergency basis to his business because he said none of his employees' workstations could connect to the company server. When I got there, the server was not plugged into the outlet.

That is a great story, but also a great marketing opportunity. What was the reason (the information/opinions he got from other people and from AppGuard) he bought AppGuard? There are a lot of midsized to smaller of which many have little security awareness. So why choose AppGuard.[/QUOTE]

The story was before I was with AppGuard. @Umbra has a similar story. It shows just how inept the average person can be with information technology. Sort of like the person who gets in their car and drives off with an empty gas tank.

The average Joe is basically lost when he gets beyond the power button.

The average Joe does not need a general OS like Windows. Windows ships with too much attack surface. They would be much better served by Chromebook - as long as they don't use Android apps. If they download Android apps from Google store forget it, it is just as bad as Windows. Gamers, well they're stuck with Windows.

Users don't have knowledge and users don't have discipline. That basically is the central problem of mankind. That is the IT problem that SRP solves IF AND ONLY IF the Admin and all the people above the Admin have those qualities, along with the determination to adapt their systems and operating procedures to the protection model and not the other way around when problems arise. It can work in practice as there are those doing it at this very moment without any major inconvenience nor increase in costs. It just takes willingness and effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.