Advice Request Is there a real need of using a VPN? Be honest!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Is there a real need of using a VPN?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I have been hearing a lot of my friends and co-workers using a VPN all the time while
they are online. But I simply don't get it! I had never had any situation where
I would need a VPN, but a lot of my paranoid friends out there always recommend me using
one because they say that your ISP or Government is monitoring me. Well, if they really want
my data, they would get it! What can a VPN do to help me in that matter?

when I use vpn??.
1: is in wifi networks.
2: Because there's a promotion and I need an ip from a certain country:
3: Why am I bored:
4: If you have a pretty face like yours. (this is a joke)

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
For me using it in wifi networks seems a good idea or to dodge geo restrictions. On the other hand i would rather trust my isp than a vpn provider in a foreign country to not spy on me. When i get a lifetime! vpn for <50€ How should that ever cover their costs ? As much as i don't like a lot of things in my country when you don't start hatespeech on facebook or start downloading cp you can do stuff you like withhin the law of course. If your country arrests people for beeing gay or criticizing the government (and so on) better start using one asap.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If your country arrests people for beeing gay or criticizing the government (and so on) better start using one asap.
Assuming anonymization software usage isn't illegal too. If that's the case it probably isn't worth the risk.

Reactions: Weebarra

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
When you install a vpn, you can do checks to be sure you're anonymous and your presence isn't leaked online.

Like others have mentioned, its not a panacea and you shouldn't use one to do things you wouldn't do in the real world.

In a day and age though, where people's privacy is increasingly compromised, it preserves the little privacy they have and its a redeeming social value.

A vpn that doesn't block your access or slow you down is a godsend in Internet surfing.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

A vpn that doesn't block your access or slow you down is a godsend in Internet surfing.

I use a VPN, not all of the time, but sometimes. Mostly to remain 'somewhat' private and for ANY WiFi outside of my home.

I use 2 kinds of VPN's. My Fortigate has a FortiVPN server built in. I use that one from public/open/offsite connections so I can secure my traffic behind my extensive infrastructure. The second type is a commercial VPN service that I use from within my network to add some level of privacy/anonymity to my online activities.

The FortiVPN is free, the second one I pay for, and I pay to get maximum speed.. This is my speed through a VPN.

VPN.png

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Any time that I use wifi outside the home ... a must!!!

At home to prevent ISP collecting user data to sell ... for large downloads, disable VPN to maximize download speeds. I really don't care if my ISP tracks my program downloads... ;)

Reactions: Andrew999

Viper007

Level 3
Verified
May 27, 2014
A lot of people here already gave mostly all uses and information, i just want to point speed is based on what vpn you chose and there servers.

Recently i tested express vpn and was getting 10mb less on speed tests with 20 ping where on nordvpn trial i was getting normal 6 ping and full download speed, so its best to trial and error with what one you want to use, nord vpn allows me not to turn of my vpn when gaming as i dont lose hardly any ping at all so it saves me the hassle turning off/on if i forget to.

Reactions: Andrew999
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.