Advice Request Is there any software to backup all your Applications and Data?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
I use Macrium Reflect(Home Edition) for daily backups but every few months I want to install a fresh version of windows
and its a pain to reinstall all my apps and find license codes and the like. I'd love to be able to backup my applications and data
and restore them onto a fresh system.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
What I do is when I do a fresh install I image that & save it as it has my commonly used programs with codes etc - Then if for example there is the latest bi yearly update I image back to the originally image update that update it & save that image - It's really the only way I can find to stop installing codes some of which will fail & if they don't use machine ID will assume you installing on another PC? (There was a program that said it would do what you want but I can't remember the name)
Never used this: EaseUS Todo

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
What I do is when I do a fresh install I image that & save it as it has my commonly used programs with codes etc - Then if for example there is the latest bi yearly update I image back to the originally image update that update it & save that image - It's really the only way I can find to stop installing codes some of which will fail & if they don't use machine ID will assume you installing on another PC? (There was a program that said it would do what you want but I can't remember the name)

I truly loathe Windows feature updates, especially when the feature update is pushing their browser more or redundant crap. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Reactions: show-Zi

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
To install software, you can create scripts, like:
Code:
start "" /wait "D:\Software\Temp\Setup\1.exe"
start "" /wait "D:\Software\Temp\Setup\2.exe"
start "" /wait "D:\Software\Temp\Soft\Windows Repair Toolbox\Downloads\PatchMyPc\PatchMyPC.exe"
PatchMyPC contains ~300 apps, it will download and install the latest versions.
I'd love to be able to backup my applications and data
and restore them onto a fresh system.
Software usually contains settings within .ini files or within registry. Ini files can be easily unpacked to their retrospective folders, like:
Code:
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Wise Disk Cleaner\Config.ini
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Process Hacker\settings.xml
As for registry, that it is a bit complicated, you would need to do it per app basis, like:
Code:
rem 7-zip
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-Zip\Compression" /v "Archiver" /t "REG_SZ" /d "7z" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-Zip\Compression" /v "Level" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "9" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-Zip\Compression\Options\7z" /v "Level" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "9" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-Zip\Options" /v "CascadedMenu" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "1" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\7-Zip\Options" /v "ContextMenu" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "263" /f
Most of the time I waste installing drivers, setting up some Windows settings and browser's extensions. I wish, sync would backup those as well.
Technically I could backup the whole browser's folder and it would work, but I prefer to clean install browser, just in case, there are hidden nasties.

Licences are problematic. They are created to prevent being easily copied, so activation might be needed, but also that depends, what software.
It will take some time to create, but once done, it will save you tons of time. I use those 2 files, then I apply my tweaks to finish it off.
Windows Setup 1 - Pastebin.com / Windows Setup 2 - Pastebin.com

It took me years to figure out, how to backup taskbar icons and their location, but all I had to, was to simply backup those 2, lol:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
@Cortex I do the same.

I saw this thread a month or so ago when I had a similar issue to deal with as the OP but I didn't use it. Its got a few links to other articles on ways to keep files and software during a fresh W 10 install - Is there a way to refresh Windows 10 without losing programs, apps and files? - Windows 10 Support

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020

klepto

Level 2
Thread author
Jun 14, 2020
Thanks for the tips everyone. I reset my machine, my apps were removed but my files were all there. I had plenty of backups so I was up and running quickly. I made a macrium reflect clean backup with all my drivers updated when I want to return to a clean setup. Thanks much!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.