Advice Request Is this a malware or just FP?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I was trying to play a H.266 file (also called Versatile Video Coding aka VVC, successor of H.265) when I came across a GitHub project (I am not sure linking directly to it is safe as some users my try downloading it, mods pls advice). From there I downloaded the first option named "Windows 7 and later x64", it was a 7-zip archive. After unarchiving I did the usual scan with Emsisoft AM (detected as Gen:Variant.Tedy.220456 (B)) and Virus Total (18 detections). File is quarantined for now, I submitted file to Emsisoft AM as FP for now, waiting for their analysis. File extension is ".com".

1674546664616.png

opentip.kaspersky.com says file is safe ^^

1674546480267.png

PS I am not infected cause I never ran the file.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Based on the information you have provided, it's difficult to conclusively determine if the file you downloaded is malware or simply a false positive detection. However, the fact that the file has been detected by multiple antivirus engines on VirusTotal raises suspicion.

It's important to err on the side of caution and not run any files that have been flagged by antivirus software, regardless of whether they are legitimate or not. If you are unsure about the safety of a file, it's best to contact the software developer or seek assistance from a security expert.

In addition, it's worth noting that malware authors often use file extensions that are commonly associated with legitimate files (such as .com) to disguise their malicious code. So, it's always good practice to verify the source of the file and exercise caution when downloading and running executables from the internet.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I apologize if my previous response was not helpful. False positives can happen, and it's always a good idea to verify the safety of a file using multiple sources. In your case, it's great to hear that the file was confirmed to be safe by multiple anti-malware tools like Bitdefender and Kaspersky. If you still have concerns or suspicions about a file, it's always best to seek the advice of professionals.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.