Is this behaviour normal?

Do you think this behaviour is ok?

• Yes, who cares.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • No, never. Raise the pitchforks!

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • I am a potato eating a potato chip with potato salad.

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
So I was testing out Norton 360, pretty good overall but when I uninstalled it it enabled all the startup applications I had, which I had disabled manually from task manager. So now every single application starts at boot.
Man I was thinking ohh why this game launcher is starting I had it disabled, why the VPN is running just after boot. Like why? Wow Norton well done, Bravo. Thanks for enabling every goddamn application I had disabled earlier on startup, to now run on startup.
For the record I never touched the tuneup utility inside Norton 360 to disable any application from running at startup. I know it's not a big deal for me to disable them again, but the fact that they did this want me to never install them. Why touch something you shouldn't touch in the first place.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
So I was testing out Norton 360, pretty good overall but when I uninstalled it it enabled all the startup applications I had, which I had disabled manually from task manager. So now every single application starts at boot.
Man I was thinking ohh why this game launcher is starting I had it disabled, why the VPN is running just after boot. Like why? Wow Norton well done, Bravo. Thanks for enabling every goddamn application I had disabled earlier on startup, to now run on startup.
For the record I never touched the tuneup utility inside Norton 360 to disable any application from running at startup. I know it's not a big deal for me to disable them again, but the fact that they did this want me to never install them. Why touch something you shouldn't touch in the first place.
It's normal for Norton :LOL: ...On a serious note I have never seen this behaviour..Did you uninstall with their tool or by default through "programs and features"?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Well the voting is tied b/w option 2 and 3 with three votes for each :ROFLMAO:

It's normal for Norton :LOL: ...On a serious note I have never seen this behaviour..Did you uninstall with their tool or by default through "programs and features"?
Through "programs and features" then a reboot and 2-3 normal shutdowns if I remember correctly.

It's not normal.

I've moved Norton off and on multiple computers and have also never seen this either.

I wonder if something else happened..

@bjm_ is kind of a Norton guru (...I see him over at the Norton forums..). Maybe he can add to this.
Idk seems to me that it was caused by Norton cause nothing else (no updates of apps or windows or drivers) was changed in the system except for the AV.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
@bjm_ is kind of a Norton guru (...I see him over at the Norton forums..). Maybe he can add to this.
I've seen as expected Norton behavior. I've learned to check Task Manager Startup after Norton uninstall.
I've also learned to run Norton Diagnostic Report after Norton install. Norton will prompt me to check Norton Performance > Norton Startup Manager.
Next time I run Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. I'll pay closer attention to Startups. By habit, I'll always check Task Manager Startup and Norton Diagnostic after Norton install... same as always run Get Support after Norton install...and call Quick Scan and Norton Insight and check Norton Settings to my preference....and add extra machine Restart. Just me.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I’m just glad I got to express myself as a potato. Since I haven’t used Norton in over a decade I can’t speak to this. However, I would say that is not expected or wanted behavior and I would contact them about it.

This is what I got from their support. (forgot the 'I')
It is not a intended behavior but sometime it happens. I am sorry for the same. One can disable the Start up items the way you have done it earlier.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Yes, it is normal. Can't tell if it's the case, but most probably, Norton tried to revert any possible changes its capabilities could have done. If it has a tool to modify startup items, most probably it turned them all back on "in case" you tweaked them. Who knows. Luckily you can just disable them again.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I've seen as expected Norton behavior. I've learned to check Task Manager Startup after Norton uninstall.
I've also learned to run Norton Diagnostic Report after Norton install. Norton will prompt me to check Norton Performance > Norton Startup Manager.
Next time I run Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool. I'll pay closer attention to Startups. By habit, I'll always check Task Manager Startup and Norton Diagnostic after Norton install... same as always run Get Support after Norton install...and call Quick Scan and Norton Insight and check Norton Settings to my preference....and add extra machine Restart. Just me.
So, for fun. I ran Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool > Remove & Reinstall (Default) (vs. Advanced Options - Remove Only).
I had 13 Startup Disabled before and I have 13 Startup Disabled after.
Usually, I don't run NRn'R Tool. Usually, by habit I'll manually remove n' manually reinstall.
Maybe, Norton knew I was watching Startups or maybe, I introduce Startups Enabled by my manual remove n' reinstall habit.
as always your mileage may vary

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Its normal behavior. Happens all the time to me. When you open the Norton startup manager, Norton seems to take control of the startup programs so when you uninstall, it seems to enable all startup applications. Either sloppy programming or a bug (been like this for awhile now for me). Also, if you use defrag in Norton, your settings in Windows defrag will turn OFF when you uninstall. So watch out for that also.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Its normal behavior. Happens all the time to me. When you open the Norton startup manager, Norton seems to take control of the startup programs so when you uninstall, it seems to enable all startup applications. Either sloppy programming or a bug (been like this for awhile now for me). Also, if you use defrag in Norton, your settings in Windows defrag will turn OFF when you uninstall. So watch out for that also.
It's not an intended behaviour and thus a bug as confirmed by their support here.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Personally this is why I think security companies should just stick with security and not worry about system optimizers and other useless stuff. Don't get me wrong, Norton is a great program, but I think it goes to show that when you start adding stuff that has nothing to do with security, then you create potential for more issues. From a security stand point I can see watching the startup items for malicious behavior, but other than that I don't see the need to take control of enabling and disabling startup items. It's already handled by Windows and it does a good job. I just wish that instead of wasting dev time and money to develop these useless features, they just put it towards focusing on security only and creating features that do make a difference in security and the overall performance of the product itself.

Just my 2 cents.(y);)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.