Advice Request Is this email real or fake?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I received the following email from and I can't tell if its real or fake because official emails from yahoo have the logo in the inbox view and the yahoo is all in upper-case?

Dear Account User,

Access to your Email is about to expire due to subsequent Verification failure on your Account.

We recommend that you verify and authenticate your account within 48hrs to avoid the suspension.

AUTHENTICATE YOUR ACCOUNT NOW

if anyone can help me out that would be great :)

Last edited:

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
Please check E-Mail from field in your Yahoo account:
1603973493050.png

1603973466413.png

To check if it comes from a credible source.

If you use Thunderbird or Outlook a better way is E-Mail header information.
1603973588042.png

1603973621190.png

Best regards
Val.

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Might be overkill but some things I would consider trying if I got something like this:

1. Check URL in the address bar and submit URL to VirusTotal.
2. Has this email acct. been dormant for a long time?
3. Any other text in the email where you can check for spelling and grammatical errors?
4. Access the have I been pwned site to see whether this account has been breached and password stolen.
5. Maybe take a screenshot or snip of the email and contact Yahoo directly thru its official website.

When I had a yahoo acct, emails always had that purple logo, not a plain text one. I wouldn't respond to it. Even your screen name seems to find it suspicious. :)

May not be applicable but if Gmail or Steam or whatever sends me a notification, my name or screen name is used in the correspondence. Not "Account User."

Upvote 0

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Head on over to the Yahoo website and try to log in to your Yahoo mail account. If it asks about authentication when you attempt to log in then deal with it then and there, then delete the email.
If it doesn't ask about authentication then delete the email.

If you're ever in doubt, ignore the email entirely and go directly to the official source.

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
It is a scam. The only time Yahoo mail accounts expire is after prolonged inactivity (either 6 months or a year, I forget which). But unlike in the past where all such "expiration" emails were obviously fraudulent, such a warning now could be met with less skepticism as Yahoo is actually in the process of culling inactive accounts.

But as long as you regularly log into Yahoo mail, that email you received has a date with the Trash Bin.

Upvote 0

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
Might be overkill but some things I would consider trying if I got something like this:

1. Check URL in the address bar and submit URL to VirusTotal.
2. Has this email acct. been dormant for a long time?
3. Any other text in the email where you can check for spelling and grammatical errors?
4. Access the have I been pwned site to see whether this account has been breached and password stolen.
5. Maybe take a screenshot or snip of the email and contact Yahoo directly thru its official website.

When I had a yahoo acct, emails always had that purple logo, not a plain text one. I wouldn't respond to it. Even your screen name seems to find it suspicious. :)

May not be applicable but if Gmail or Steam or whatever sends me a notification, my name or screen name is used in the correspondence. Not "Account User."
thanks @plat1098 I deleted it because after reading others comments I think its a scam

• Applause
Reactions: KonradPL and plat
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.