Advice Request Is this legit? - microsoftonline.com

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Hello M'Tippers!

So, I've come across a website that aroused my suspicions. Found it while attempting to sign up for a shopping mall's Xmas prize car competition.

The website in question was a subdomain of: microsoftonline.com

What do you think?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Sadly there is many scam and fraudulent sites and even subdomains, but try use the link I shared and add the specific subdomain in your search. It should be registered to the same owner. Otherwise you can always start doing a bit deeper check. Here's a few tips and links that hope fully might help as a start.

LeMinhThanh

From LMT AntiMalware
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Apr 11, 2020
It’s legit
1608373154076.png

Last edited:

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
What do you guys make of this?

On Visual Capitalist (never heard of it before) you'll find this article:
Where microsoftonline.com is said to be a "phishing scam operating at a large scale".

Found it at:

Also,

Attachments

• top-100-websites-1.jpg
    top-100-websites-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 330
  • sshot-2020-12-20-00-16-37.png
    sshot-2020-12-20-00-16-37.png
    538.7 KB · Views: 320
  • sshot-2020-12-20-00-22-34.png
    sshot-2020-12-20-00-22-34.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 377

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
More intriguing news, and something I forgot to mention. The original subdomain I mentioned stopped working just as I posted my questions here.

Today if you go to the mall's website and try the sign-up link for the car prize, you'll be taken to a onmicrosoft.com subdomain. There's a lot of phishing reports about this online, more so than the other domain.

I wonder why.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
you'll be taken to a onmicrosoft.com subdomain. There's a lot of phishing reports about this online, more so than the other domain.
It's also legit.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
2020-12-20-11-48-01.png

onmicrosoft.com subdomain. There's a lot of phishing reports about this online, more so than the other domain.

I wonder why.
onmicrosoft.com is found here.

Today if you go to the mall's website and try the sign-up link for the car prize
The problem here is not the 100% legit Microsoft links. It's the malls website and extra so it's so called webmaster.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
2020-12-20-11-48-01.png

onmicrosoft.com is found here.

The problem here is not the 100% legit Microsoft links. It's the malls website and extra so it's so called webmaster.
Ok, the mall's website looks like this:

Code:
https://apiacesso.b2clogin.com/apiacesso.onmicrosoft.com/oauth2/v2.0/authorize?client_id={REDACTED}&response_type=code&redirect_uri=https://plazasulshopping.com.br/usuario/autenticacao&response_mode=query&scope=openid&p=B2C_1A_signup
(client id redacted)

Perhaps not in this case, but could phishing agents be abusing these Microsoft domains?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.