Is this true ???

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Even with an Admin profile, the Command Prompt is not elevated - unless executed on C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe ???
think.gif

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
It must be elevated as Administrator (not System Level) try to change in compatibility tab of CMD?

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
It must be elevated as Administrator (not System Level) try to change in compatibility tab of CMD?
Sorry, didn't get you properly. :(

Can you just tell me this....
Right clicking and opening the command prompt as Admin via the Admin account from All Programs>>Accessories>>Command Prompt and doing the same from C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe same ??? or a different thing ???

A well educated computer expert said that even from the Admin account, the Command Prompt is not elevated - unless executed on C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hi Guys.

Even a admin profile, the Command Prompt is not elevated as admin.

Two solutions :
1. Right click on cmd.exe
Select "Run as administrator" : the Command Prompt is elevated as admin.

2. Deactivate fully the UAC (User Account Control) and restart your PC after, to apply the modifications.
Read this : http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-and-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7/

Bye.

+1 for Dubseven.

(sorry for potential mistakes, I'm french)

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
@Dubseven thanks a lot. I was baffled by what he said. So though it'd be best to ask the pros :cool:

@little boy62 thanks for the reply. but can you point me to any article on any well-known site where it says

Hi Guys.

Even a admin profile, the Command Prompt is not elevated as admin.

Two solutions :
1. Right click on cmd.exe
Select "Run as administrator" : the Command Prompt is elevated as admin.

@Malware1 do you support the part that I've quoted from little boy62's post ??? (You liked his post)

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
1.Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box that appears directly above the Start button, type the following:

command

Don't press Enter, just let the search results populate above.

Note: If you have trouble doing this, or the next step, you can find the Command Prompt shortcut manually by clicking Start -> All Programs
-> Accessories on most computers. Then skip to Step 3 below.

2.In the search results, locate the Programs section.

Under Programs you'll see one or more programs listed that contain the word command.

3.Locate the Command Prompt shortcut and right-click on it.

This will bring up Command Prompt's right-click menu. Depending on the software you have installed, and how you have certain Windows 7 settings
configured, you could have as few as a dozen, or as many as a few dozen, options.

4.Click on Run as administrator.

5.Click Yes on the User Account Control window that appears.

Important: If you are see a User Account Control window but also a message that says To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes,
then your user account must be a standard account, not an administrator account. Before you can click Yes and open an elevated command prompt, you'll need
to type the password of another user on your Windows 7 computer that has administrator level privileges.

Note: You will not see this window at all if your User Account Control settings are turned all the way down. See How To Disable User Account Control in
Windows 7 for more information.

An elevated Command Prompt window will appear. You can now execute any Windows 7 command you want, without restriction.

Note: An elevated Command Prompt window opens to C:\Windows\system32. A non-elevated Command Prompt window instead opens to C:\Users\[username].

Tips:

Aside from noting the path that opens (see the Note in Step 6), you can tell if the Command Prompt is elevated by looking at the title of the window:

If the title says Administrator: Command Prompt then you've succeeded in opening an elevated Command Prompt. If the title says Command Prompt only, then
something happened and you're using Command Prompt normally.

Not a Windows 7 user? See How Do I Open an Elevated Command Prompt? for links to steps specific for your operating system.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/a/elevated-command-prompt-windows-7.htm

:)

James

Reactions: Deleted member 178

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hi.
@little boy62 thanks for the reply. but can you point me to any article on any well-known site where it says
It's the same solution about Dub Seven. But I haven't post screens. ;)

Several articles :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx

There is a another methode to launch cmd.exe as admin...
  1. In start menu, in the search bar : write cmd.exe
  2. Select it by a simple left click.
  3. Then press simultaneously on CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to launch the Command Prompt as admin.
Solution here : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/

Bye ;)

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Hi.

It's the same solution about Dub Seven. But I haven't post screens. ;)

Several articles :
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx

There is a another methode to launch cmd.exe as admin...
  1. In start menu, in the search bar : write cmd.exe
  2. Select it by a simple left click.
  3. Then press simultaneously on CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to launch the Command Prompt as admin.
Solution here : http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...administrator-from-the-windows-vista-run-box/

Bye ;)
Duh.... you haven't quite got my question yet. I'm not asking HOW !!! I know that.... I'm asking something different....

Right clicking and opening the command prompt as 'Run as Administrator' via the Admin account from All Programs>>Accessories>>Command Prompt and doing the same from C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe same ??? or a different thing ???

A well educated computer expert said that even from the Admin account (even when right clicked on the command prompt that's found on the start menu and run as administrator), the Command Prompt is not elevated - unless executed from C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

Last edited:

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hi.

I'm not asking HOW !!!
Calm down, look my first answer : I'm french ! xD

The command prompt (accesories>>Command Prompt) is the shortcut of C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
So, command prompt and the file cmd.exe : It's the same result.

If you click right on command prompt or on c:\windows\system 32\cmd.exe and select "run as administrator", you launch CMD as admin.

A well educated computer expert said that even from the Admin account (even when right clicked on the command prompt that's found on the start menu and run as administrator), the Command Prompt is not elevated - unless executed from C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
Hmm, I'm surprised... Perplex...

Tomorrow, I test this on english OS.
I'll give you screens too.

Cya.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Actually CMD is not elevated as admin even if you use the admin elevation button, however the commands executed within the console are elevated.
Because if you look into your user profiles then you will see that you are NOT the system admin, but you are a user admin (Assuming you are running admin account.) And as such CMD will NOT run as admin just the commands.

Cheers

little boy62

Level 1
Verified
May 29, 2014
Hi.

I've made a little video to show it.

Sorry for quality, it's my firt video...
I must work on software... ^^

So, the well educates computer expert had wrong.

Cya.

Last edited:

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
little boy62, I wasn't asking about this. My question was totally different. Anyways, thanks for taking the time out to do this video. Might help someone, someday :)

Coming back to my question..... The answer is NO.

Reactions: Malware1

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
As @n.nvt said, the Command Prompt (cmd.exe in system32) itself is NEVER elevated, but if you run it in with administrative privileges, the commands you write inside it WILL run with admin rights.

Reactions: Myna
D

Deleted member 178

Even with an Admin profile, the Command Prompt is not elevated - unless executed on C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe ???
think.gif

Exact

Can you just tell me this....
Right clicking and opening the command prompt as Admin via the Admin account from All Programs>>Accessories>>Command Prompt and doing the same from C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe same ??? or a different thing ???

Different thing. as Nvt said, the console (in accessories) itself is not elevated , just the command you type in IF ran as admin.

If you want a elevated console easily available, you have to make a copy of it (the one in system32) and set its properties as "run this program as administrator"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Myna

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Umbra Polaris, maybe this is what he meant. Or maybe not. Whatever.... This is nice piece of info. Thanks.... and n.nvt you too.... Thanks.... :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.