Is TOR good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Say you wanna use tor with Qubes on a usb. Do you think the tor network is good enough to keep you anonymous? Or would you take more steps to anonymize yourself? If so what else would you do?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Well if u use it properly than "maybe" its good enough. maybe not. but i myself always use vpn over tor. i use perfect-privacy vpn and make make multiple connections. always choose 2 in different countrys. like connect to germany, than this server connects to holland and than open tor, thats almost bulletproof to not get located or spyed on in any way.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Well if u use it properly than "maybe" its good enough. maybe not. but i myself always use vpn over tor. i use perfect-privacy vpn and make make multiple connections. always choose 2 in different countrys. like connect to germany, than this server connects to holland and than open tor, thats almost bulletproof to not get located or spyed on in any way.[/QUOTE
Well if u use it properly than "maybe" its good enough. maybe not. but i myself always use vpn over tor. i use perfect-privacy vpn and make make multiple connections. always choose 2 in different countrys. like connect to germany, than this server connects to holland and than open tor, thats almost bulletproof to not get located or spyed on in any way.
I have purevpn, do you think it is wise to use that?

Reactions: Logethica

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
You should be fine with using Purevpn. it should be self i just dont like it for my own reason.(no multihop if i am aware, no inbuild firewall ruels in the client for windows that it realy only use the vpn server without any leaks and some other reason). but for normal use it is more than enough

H

hjlbx

It has been reported that Tor leaks. You could Tor through a VPN. Plus there is bridging.

To be perfectly honest it is problematic and even if you do manage to get your config to work well, there isn't much you can do at a basic level to verify that it is not leaking.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
hjlbx is right on that front, and the US military did design TOR, TOR will hide you from the average joe
but its useless if your hiding for any government agency or hacker worth his salt.
If you want something better try FreeNet ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For casual, Tor is fine however the problem here is how secure would be cause tracking can hapoen with different tools against anonymity.

Reactions: DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I think that using TOR Browser with HTTPS Everywhere and No Script activated is a good way to keep you anonymous if you don't do criminal activities, and on normal browsing.
Important :
"Remember that Tor anonymizes the origin of your traffic, and it encrypts everything inside the Tor network, but it can't encrypt your traffic between the Tor network and its final destination. If you are communicating sensitive information, you should use as much care as you would on the normal scary Internet — use HTTPS or other end-to-end encryption and authentication".

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can use Tor browser (in VM) with TAILS. Pay with bitcoin and throw in a VPN which supports double-hop I guarantee you'll be almost invisible on the net.

Set them

VPN --> Tor --> VPN

NSA will sure have a hard time looking for you

Qubes vs Tails?

Qubes and Tails have fundamentally different use-cases.

Tails is for staying anonymous. When you use it on a computer, it doesn't leave a trace that it was ever booted. It changes your MAC address before you connect to a network, and it forces all traffic to go over the Tor network, ensuring that you don't make a technical mistake and accidentally leak your IP address. When you use the web browser that comes with Tails, your traffic looks exactly like the traffic of all other Tor users.

Qubes is for staying secure while still being able to use a wide variety of software that might contain zero day vulnerabilities, but it's not for staying anonymous. Qubes supports cool networking tricks, like making an AppVM where all traffic is forced to go through Tor, but this doesn't incorporate most of the anonymity tricks that Tails excels at.

The Operating System That Can Protect You Even if You Get Hacked

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk41 and frogboy

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Tor, VPN and everything else are just ways to access the internet in a more secure fashion. Why would that make you anonymous in and off itself?

A stupid Facebook cookie will screw your anonynimity, so will visiting forums and sites with your regular login, which clearly identifies you. Neither Tor nor a VPN will alter your browser ID, your screen resolution or the way you type, all of which can feed fingerprinting algorithms. Not counting gazillions of other things that'll help in that regard as well.

Honestly, being 99.9% anonymous is very hard to do and involves so many hoops and hurdles, it takes pretty much all the fun out of using the internet and makes parts of it simply unusable. Probably nothing you want for checking the weather.

Chances are, like most people, all you really want and likely need is pseudonymity. Unless working for the mob or engaging in any other criminal activity, but that's beyond this board's scope and target audience. ;)

Reactions: Ink

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
I've been a torguard user for almost 2 years and still connected to their services. Highly recommended.

Connection Speed are great, probably only get slow downs few time in a year but that's with all VPNs.
Privacy is their top priority it's why i trust em.
Pricing is the best, for low as $9.99 per month. PM if you want a discount code i got few 50% lifetime codes.
Software UI is mean. You get everything you ever need for a VPN. Including kill switch, DNS protection, you get to choose what cipher you want upon connecting, you get to choose to pin your current connected VPN IP so you don't lose it.
Customer support is probably the best out of all other VPN providers i've been with.
Reliable and trusted VPN. Let me know what you think.

Okay sure some may complain that it's a US based VPN but don't stop yourself signing up for this VPN. Other US based VPN providers are untrusted.

To be honest it's you're pick Type "Torrentfreak VPN 2016" in google search.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I've been a torguard user for almost 2 years and still connected to their services. Highly recommended.

Connection Speed are great, probably only get slow downs few time in a year but that's with all VPNs.
Privacy is their top priority it's why i trust em.
Pricing is the best, for low as $9.99 per month. PM if you want a discount code i got few 50% lifetime codes.
Software UI is mean. You get everything you ever need for a VPN. Including kill switch, DNS protection, you get to choose what cipher you want upon connecting, you get to choose to pin your current connected VPN IP so you don't lose it.
Customer support is probably the best out of all other VPN providers i've been with.
Reliable and trusted VPN. Let me know what you think.

Okay sure some may complain that it's a US based VPN but don't stop yourself signing up for this VPN. Other US based VPN providers are untrusted.

To be honest it's you're pick Type "Torrentfreak VPN 2016" in google search.
You read the TorGuard review here?

That One Privacy Site | Torguard Review

Of course if you don't value your privacy most VPNs will meet your needs

F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Does TOR slow down your internet connection? Or is it normal compared to other VPNs?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Tairan: It will slow down your connection and browsing since the server you are taken is different which undergone on numerous nodes.

VPN acts the same also too.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Tor has come a long long way in regards to speed. It's improved a lot now. Most relay and exit nodes are 1Gbps connection speed.

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Tor isn't the only thing you need to keep you anonymous. Just to clear the air, you are never 100% anonymous. You need to practice practical security and privacy habits, the weakest vulnerability of all is the human. Operations Security (OPSEC), Information Security (InfoSec), Communication Security (COMSEC), Physical Security (PHYSEC) are things that you should study up on. Reddit has some great communities and resources on these specific topics. (/r/privacy - /r/opsec - /r/privacytoolsIO - etc.)

Something I found on YouTube that I thought was great is this video: (Main point: shut your mouth, don't let the info get out.)

If you want to read upon prorecting your anonymity I suggest reading these two selected papers:
Securing Online Personas - http://puppet.zone/files/SecuringOnlinePersonas.pdf
Crypto | Paper - Paper | cryptoseb.pw

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.