Advice Request Is Total Security 360 a good sandbox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
Hello!
I'm trying to run some sandboxed programs but due to driver independences Sandboxie is unable to run them and Shade is able to run them but they often crash.
So far, after reading raymond.cc's recommended sandbox softwares I've decided to give Total Security 360 a try despite of me not trusting it, I've disabled all of the security features since I have Malwarebytes alongside Norton and I plan to only use it as a sandbox program and it works perfectly fine!
So should it be safe to use it as only a sandbox program? Because I've heard about concerns with their privacy policy.

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
I dont think many on these forums are using ts 360, but i would just take a look on comodo products. People gonna post alternatives anytime soon tho
I tried using Comodl but it doesn't seem to take input. Let me tell you what I'm trying to do, I have a unmodified copy of GTAV which I use for online play, I also want a sandboxed version of that game for mods, so I won't risk myself getting banned. Comodo launches the game perfectly fine but doesn't take any input, from neither my mouse or keyboard.
I also tried to run "The Movies" game to make sure it's not a program specific issue but it does the same, no input.
Perhaps it's a direct x issue? Is there a way to solve it? Because I would rather use comodo of I could get it to work

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Try Shadow Defender
+1
But be aware that malware can still steal personal information which is located "underneath" the Shadow Defender layer and in the current Shadow Defender session.
Apart from that, the most convenient solution (reboot and whatever you did in the Shadow Defender session never happened), especially as you can reset the trial by reinstall (or just pay the 35 Bucks, which is really worth it for a lifetime lic).

Last edited:

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
+1
But be aware that malware can still steal personal information which is located "underneath" the Shadow Defender layer and in the current Shadow Defender session.
Apart from that, the most convenient solution (reboot and it whatever you did in the Shadow Defender session never happened), especially as you can reset the trial by reinstall (or just pay the 35 Bucks, which is really worth it for a lifetime lic).

Winrar v2

Let me tell you what I'm trying to do, I have a unmodified copy of GTAV which I use for online play, I also want a sandboxed version of that game for mods, so I won't risk myself getting banned

How is that supposed to work? I don't play GTA but let's say you get caught with a modded game playing online, won't they instaban you? Like, how would you know you're going to get banned so then you decide to revert to the unmodded game and avoid a ban? Or you mean playing offline with mods?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
How would running the mods in a sandbox prevent you from getting banned? From what I understand as long as mods are played offline it shouldn't result in a ban so you can just disconnect your wifi and you should be fine.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
How would running the mods in a sandbox prevent you from getting banned? From what I understand as long as mods are played offline it shouldn't result in a ban so you can just disconnect your wifi and you should be fine.
was wondering same, only reason i would run game in sandbox is that i have pirated the game, but personally im against torrents

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
was wondering same, only reason i would run game in sandbox is that i have pirated the game, but personally im against torrents

As long as the crack is from a legit (heh) hacking group like CPY / 3DM / CODEX etc., then you have nothing to worry about, just disable access to the internet from your firewall for the game exe/launcher and you're gucci, also when you're downloading from torrents only download stuff uploaded by verified uploaders, meaning people who are known to the community and have uploaded thousands of things before and have a high rating, don't download stuff from random people with 3 seeds

We're going a bit off topic btw, mods don't like that

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
don't play online when use mods :ROFLMAO:
sandboxed , online = banned :ROFLMAO:

I don't recommend playing GTA Online if you want to be a victim of banned for no reason. I got banned by no reason at all. I am a legit player grind things legit, and now I got banned by no reason and my character got wiped. I have spent more than 30 hours on GTA Online, and now it feels like I wasted 30 hours of my life for nothing. The fact is Rockstar do banned a lot of innocent players. Only 2% out of 100% false positives banned got lifted.

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
I don't recommend playing GTA Online if you want to be a victim of banned for no reason. I got banned by no reason at all. I am a legit player grind things legit, and now I got banned by no reason and my character got wiped. I have spent more than 30 hours on GTA Online, and now it feels like I wasted 30 hours of my life for nothing. The fact is Rockstar do banned a lot of innocent players. Only 2% out of 100% false positives banned got lifted.

That's like saying open the door to your house so the thieves can steal your things, then you don't have to worry about having your stuff stolen (best analogy ever) Don't play online, no need to worry about being banned. Well if he gets banned then he won't be able to play online anyway. And for the character wipe thing - is this saved server side? Cuz if it's client side he can simply use a backup to restore his character

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
Have you tried lowering the Containment restriction level for GTA or tried running it Virtual instead of Contained?
Yes, I've tried all of the restriction levels and running it virtual, nothing makes it get my input.
Winrar v2

How is that supposed to work? I don't play GTA but let's say you get caught with a modded game playing online, won't they instaban you? Like, how would you know you're going to get banned so then you decide to revert to the unmodded game and avoid a ban? Or you mean playing offline with mods?
I'm not sure if it works because I haven't tried it yet (Just used Total Security before modding just to make sure it works) but basically, the clean files are in the normal filesystem and when I want to play online I run the game without a sandbox software. The mods and mods loaders (asi loaders, script hook or RAGE plugin hook) will be in the isolated file system so that way only the sandbox will be able to access it, that way when I wish to play with singleplayer mods I just run the sandboxed version.
It may not work but hey, it doesn't hurt to try!

Reactions: CoherentCrayon

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
That's like saying open the door to your house so the thieves can steal your things, then you don't have to worry about having your stuff stolen (best analogy ever) Don't play online, no need to worry about being banned. Well if he gets banned then he won't be able to play online anyway. And for the character wipe thing - is this saved server side? Cuz if it's client side he can simply use a backup to restore his character

Saved server side for online unfortunately. My character got wiped along with all the progress and items. You can get banned if the cheater dropped money bags onto you. You can get banned if your antivirus interfered with the anti-cheat files. You can get banned by playing GTA Online over VPN. You can get banned if you are using an outdated client. Pretty much, Rockstar's Anti-Cheat is more bs than VAC, BattleEye, or EasyAntiCheat.

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
Saved server side for online unfortunately. My character got wiped along with all the progress and items. You can get banned if the cheater dropped money bags onto you. You can get banned if your antivirus interfered with the anti-cheat files. You can get banned by playing GTA Online over VPN. You can get banned if you are using an outdated client. Pretty much, Rockstar's Anti-Cheat is more bs than VAC, BattleEye, or EasyAntiCheat.

Don't pre-order boys...

Yes, I've tried all of the restriction levels and running it virtual, nothing makes it get my input.

I'm not sure if it works because I haven't tried it yet (Just used Total Security before modding just to make sure it works) but basically, the clean files are in the normal filesystem and when I want to play online I run the game without a sandbox software. The mods and mods loaders (asi loaders, script hook or RAGE plugin hook) will be in the isolated file system so that way only the sandbox will be able to access it, that way when I wish to play with singleplayer mods I just run the sandboxed version.
It may not work but hey, it doesn't hurt to try!

How about two separate installations? One is modded another is unmodded. You can even disable internet access to the modded one.
Or a VM where you store the modded installation?

AgentPearce

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2018
Don't pre-order boys...

How about two separate installations? One is modded another is unmodded. You can even disable internet access to the modded one.
Yeah, that works, that's what I did till now but considering that GTA V is 60GB, having 120GB of disk space occupied by one game is not ideal :p
Thanks, I'll try Shadow Defender!
Update: I just tried Shadow Defender, it's great but it's not what I'm looking for, there is no isolated filesystem to put the modded files at, it just erases the files as soon as I exit Shadow Mode (Unless I'm missing something)
Seems like Total Security sandbox is the only working sandbox I know of for what I need, but I don't feel comfortable using it because of what other people say about it.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Don't pre-order boys...

I didn't preorder GTA 5.

Hi Brothers

Level 2
Verified
Apr 19, 2018
I didn't preorder GTA 5.

No that was the implication :D

Yeah, that works, that's what I did till now but considering that GTA V is 60GB, having 120GB of disk space occupied by one game is not ideal :p

Install one of them on the HDD, the other on the SSD. When you want to play the version on the HDD, move the one from the SSD to the HDD and simultaneously the one from the HDD to the SSD. I just tried moving a 29 gb zip from my HDD to SSD and the estimated time is about 5 minutes with 97 mb/s transfer (i7 4770k) . I then tried moving a 12gb folder from my SSD to HDD and the speed seems to depend on the files' size, lots of small files - about 20-30 mb/s, during movement of large files the speed is closer to 80-90 mb/s, so all in all it should take less than 15 mins, maybe even 10 depending on how fast your HDD and SSD are. And my CPU isn't even that good so if you have like ryzen or i7 8700k those files will be gone before you can even blink!

Reactions: SumTingWong
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.