Advice Request Is using Windows as admin security risk?!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
I agree that a SUA account is more safer than admin account in terms of security...
but is there a easy way to create a SUA account with all settings of windows and all settings of installed programs from admin account?
(for example my VPN settings for working from home (not so easy - managed by IT from work), adguard settings (that is easy) , browser settings (history,etc - not so easy) and some of windows settings )

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I run this PC on admin, I'm the only person who uses it or if anyone else does it's supervised, I appreciate there are risks but tried alternatives & staying with admin - No problems ....

Attachments

• Admn.jpg
    Admn.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
L

Local Host

@McMcbrad is correct: "Regardless of that, SUA is still a lot more secure way to operate and is highly recommended."

You should only need to enter password if you're installing something or need to run it as admininstrator, not for starting programs.

I use SUA and it's not annoying. Of course, all of this depends on the number and kind of apps on your system.
There are programs that ask for administrator privilegies on start-up, so that is not out of the question.
I run this PC on admin, I'm the only person who uses it or if anyone else does it's supervised, I appreciate there are risks but tried alternatives & staying with admin - No problems ....
Is fine to run WIndows on Administrator Account, is pretty much the default setup (to be fair there's another hidden Administrator account).

You already lost if you have malware on your PC, you shouldn't be looking to blame Windows nor your Security Software if that happens.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Why on earth would I be blaming Windows or Security if I have problems?

As i said I'm aware of risks & since Windows 3 I'm aware of one piece of malware at large on any PC I own. Should I have issues I have 5 external drives with everything backed up, one in a remote location the rest in a safe - None of them are backed up at the same time - I consider myself reasonably safe but not saying totally, as the biggest risks are the unknown ones.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I agree that a SUA account is more safer than admin account in terms of security...
but is there a easy way to create a SUA account with all settings of windows and all settings of installed programs from admin account?
(for example my VPN settings for working from home (not so easy - managed by IT from work), adguard settings (that is easy) , browser settings (history,etc - not so easy) and some of windows settings )
You can create additional administrator account and then change your current account (with all settings and everything) to standard. More here:

EDIT: I'm not sure if doing it that way is bullet-proof. Any ACL rights set to your username would stay (even if they are located inside protected folders or resources), which could not happen with SUA being used from beginning.

L

Local Host

Why on earth would I be blaming Windows or Security if I have problems?

As i said I'm aware of risks & since Windows 3 I'm aware of one piece of malware at large on any PC I own. Should I have issues I have 5 external drives with everything backed up, one in a remote location the rest in a safe - None of them are backed up at the same time - I consider myself reasonably safe but not saying totally, as the biggest risks are the unknown ones.
Was a general opinion not targetting anyone, average joes blame Windows and Security Software when they get infected.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.