Is VMware Workstation safe to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Untitled.png

Taking snapshots is pretty easy, just click on the "Take snapshot" button and you are done. You can also choose which snapshot to go back to when you want a restore.

Reactions: MalwareT

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
View attachment 42372
Taking snapshots is pretty easy, just click on the "Take snapshot" button and you are done. You can also choose which snapshot to go back to when you want a restore.
Except the question was for VMWare Player which doesnt have such feature (aside from allowing 1 snapshot) :)

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Can you show me how to make it ?

Here's how to add a snapshot in VMware.

1. Choose VM > Snapshot > Take Snapshot

2. Type a name for your snapshot.

Every snapshot must have a unique name. If you type the name of an existing snapshot, a warning appears and you must enter a different name.

3. If you wish, you may type a description for your snapshot.

Descriptions are useful to identify differences between similarly-named snapshots. Descriptions appear in the snapshot manager.

4. Click OK.

Reactions: MalwareT

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm certain it allows 1 snapshot, browse the UI or help files to find the relevant information.

M

MalwareT

Thread author
I tried it before but i didn't found it, there has to be option.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I tried it before but i didn't found it, there has to be option.

Either you use the command I gave you on previous posts (its command line by the way) or you can do this directly on VMware Player:

Note that you can only take one snapshot while a virtual machine is powered on, powered off or suspended. A snapshot preserves the virtual machine just as it was when you took the snapshot – the state of the data on all the virtual machine’s disks and whether the virtual machine was powered on, powered off or suspended.

When you close VMware Player, you have two options which are shutting down and suspending.
*Shutting down the virtual machine is like powering off your computer.
*Suspending actually creates a snapshot of your VM’s state at that point, which you can restart from it later on.

Basically what you are looking at it is the Suspending option. Yes its not the exact same as having a copy of snapshots like in VMware Workstation or VB...

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
VMware Workstation is almost the de-facto standard in virtualisation. If you look at professional computer security researchers, most use Workstation for the functionality it provides. Just don't install the additional tools and you will be perfectly safe.

Btw, I actually think Workstation is safer than VirtualBox because of certain things I observed about VirtualBox.
What was you observing in regard to virtualbox...?

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
What was you observing in regard to virtualbox...?

Mostly due to their horrific attitude towards security researchers.

Some interesting links to read:
Oracle, still clueless about security
Oracle pulls CSO's BONKERS anti-bug bounty and infosec rant

The first link gives references to past incidents which do not reflect well on Oracle's security at all. The other link are all about an incident after my first posting, but give a very good idea why I would prefer Vmware over VirtualBox.

Skinoku

Level 1
Verified
Dec 11, 2015
I use Vmware workstation on my Windows 10 machine, and Vmware fusion on Mac.
Neve had a problem, despite on windows the software adds too many startup items for my taste.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.