Is Webroot Internet Security Complete enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
Hey guys,

Well I just recently finished building a gaming PC and while looking for a light antivirus I came across Webroot secure anywhere. Anyways, I tried to do some more research on it however discovered that there aren't a lot of reviews out there regarding Webroot and was wondering if it would provide adequate security on a PC that is used primarily for gaming, general usage and the occasional torrenting?

Thanks.

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I would say it will be enough as long you be careful about torrenting. Webroot isn't the best product in terms of protection but far from the worst. So I say just stick to known downloads, download only official games, and be safe on the internet and Webroot should be enough.

Actually Webroot Antivirus is enough. Also you are posting this in Ad-Aware software o_O:confused:

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
I would say it will be enough as long you be careful about torrenting. Webroot isn't the best product in terms of protection but far from the worst. So I say just stick to known downloads, download only official games, and be safe on the internet and Webroot should be enough.

Actually Webroot Antivirus is enough. Also you are posting this in Ad-Aware software o_O:confused:
Thanks. Really appreciate you opinion. Oh, I didn't realize I posted this in the Ad-Aware section; my bad. Its been over 3 months since I last posted, I was a little lost.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

JollyGood

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 7, 2015
:Thread Moved:

Webroot is enough, with common sense. There is actually a Gamers version that suppresses pop ups so that you can game uninterrupted..

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/gamer-av
Thanks. Really appreciate you opinion. Well I was actually thinking of getting Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete. Found a link on here that gets me 60% off and $35 for the Webroot Secure anywhere complete sounds like a pretty good deal. I however couldn't find one on the Gamers Version :(. I really hope they aren't too different though.

I

illumination

Thanks. Really appreciate you opinion. Well I was actually thinking of getting Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete. Found a link on here that gets me 60% off and $35 for the Webroot Secure anywhere complete sounds like a pretty good deal. I however couldn't find one on the Gamers Version :(. I really hope they aren't too different though.

The main differences between the webroot AV and Gamers Av is that the gamers version has an optimization feature and by default suppresses alerts so that you do not get interrupted when gaming..

Differences between the Webroot AV and the Webroot Complete,

With Webroot Complete:

*You can Secure smart phones and tablets
*Protect account login and passwords "password manager"
*Eliminate online traces of activities
*Make deleted files unrecoverable
*25 GB of online storage

These are the features you would not get with just the AV or gaming AV.

M

MalwareT

What mods ? Webroot + Shadow Defender (on demand) if you install stuff often is good enough + uBlock and Avira Browser Safety on browsers. Making fresh system image regularly would be great (i recommend Macrium Reflect Free).

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
Here is a model security software configuration that would be suitable for gamers:

Real Time AV: Webroot (it's your choice whether gamers av or IS complete, both have gamer mode)

On Demand: Set MalwareBytes to auto schedule scan. It will not distract as far as I know

Also recommend Shadow Defender, which can rollback your system automatically so you don't get infected for more than a few minutes.

Sandboxie is a lot more cumbersome and not very good for a gamer imho. Running software in sandbox is slightly slower and while that is okay for downloading, and browsing playing a high-graphical game is not very pleasing.

If you really feel like you want to separate your gaming system from your real system then you can use VirtualBox or VMWare to virtualize your machine to make a virtual machine just used for playing games and downloading torrents. This way you can keep your real PC safe while using your virtual machine to download software.

I

illumination

I'm running a gaming rig "Asus ROG" to be exact, and have Webroots AV for Gamers on my system, and it is light as a feather, and does not affect my FPS what so ever. It is really up to you what you would chose to run with it, I would recommend running a trial of it before purchasing.

I

illumination

Use NVT EXE Radar Pro + MBAM Premium + MBAE Premium + WinPatrol + Ninja Pendisk and you've got yourself feather-light system with great protection for lifetime :cool:
Upper limit mem usage ~90 MB for all those programs. Upper limit CPU usage ~1.4%. Hope ur gaming PC is not an old 486 :p
I'm running Appguard and Webroot AV for Gamers and multi tasking right now at around 10MB for both combined. Appguard in lockdown mode with Webroot AV, I'm pretty sure I'm good to go in the security department, and still the lightest config I have ever ran.

I

illumination

@illumination if you have ROG you must be having at least 8 GB of RAM. Which means it can never hurt giving 70-80 MBs more to great protection (and that is worst case scenario I've taken). All plugin vulnerabilities n core protection covered. Webroot is weak you know very well. WinPatrol kicks out startup progs, toolbars n homepage changes for 4.3 MB mem usage. What's to think about then?
I gave you a great tradeoff that is not trading off performance at all. Heard efficiency? :confused:
But it's your choice at the end. :)
If I believed Webroot to be weak, I would not recommend it nor use it myself. One has to have an understanding of a product before judging it. No product is 100% before you start comparing it to others. You have to add common sense into the equation. One does not need 15 products to have basic security and be safe. Matter of fact, I normally advise people to use an AV, a on demand, and have plenty of back ups on hand.

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
As a fellow gamer I recommend ESET Smart Security 8. Webroot is great but ESET has better detection. I've used Webroot in the past but not lately. They have a Gamer Edition that you should check out.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
As a fellow gamer I recommend ESET Smart Security 8. Webroot is great but ESET has better detection. I've used Webroot in the past but not lately. They have a Gamer Edition that you should check out.
But ESET's zero day protection doesn't even work, unless you turn it on and spend a few hours adding rules on its HIPS.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
If you tweak it right ESET is the best antivirus in the industry but it's going to take a little bit of time (about an hour) to add exceptions to HIPS which makes it kind of a whitelist system. When you download a new software that connects to the net then you will need to add another exception.

Webroot and ESET are both great for gamers.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I'm pretty sure most gamers wouldn't like eset's hips. It sure is very good, but its just a little too noisy for serious gamers.

Webroot is definitely enough. It's behaviour detection is excellent, and there is a setting which would make it an application white listing solution just like Avast hardened mode and Kaspersky TAM. Under heuristics, if you select "Warn when any new program executes that is not specifically whitelisted", it may get extremely annoying but it gives you a protection unmatched by almost all other AVs and rivals dedicated anti exe/app whitelisting in terms of protection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes its a complete enough, and considering most of its protection capabilities are rely on cloud which you don't need to install a lot of signatures and let the program do the task on its own, + behaviour and other secondary components are quite enough for the needs.

It can be a companion AV/ install another security product but not totally practicable as a gamer. ;)

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
If you tweak it right ESET is the best antivirus in the industry but it's going to take a little bit of time (about an hour) to add exceptions to HIPS which makes it kind of a whitelist system. When you download a new software that connects to the net then you will need to add another exception.

Webroot and ESET are both great for gamers.
Then why users have to do that, when ESET should have a whitelist and a working HIPS, a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.