Advice Request Is Windows 8 The End Of The Line For Windows?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
No, and I like Windows 8. But I am sure MSFT needs to do what the markets want and so, Windows 9 will definitely be better suited to everyone's needs. I like the fact that Windows 9 will be based off Windows 8.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I want a stripped down adult version of XP that is lean, dark and mean. I guess Linux might have something like that.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Did not find it that great, though i did like the apps from metro it's a nice addition. For the rest i don't really find a need to upgrade from my current win 7 since i am happy with win 7 itself. Though that's just my opinion :).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Vista was considerably worse than Windows 8 and that didn't end Windows.

If Windows were to disappear, which it won't, because you'd still being using Windows. ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
There has been a lot of buzz over this with Microsoft's release of their OS life cycle dates.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/25/microsoft-reveals-windows-8-product-lifecycle

I agree,windows isnt going anywhere just maybe in a different direction

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Windows have had a Good/Bad release cycle since the beginning of time

3.1 - Good
95 - Bad
98 - Good
ME - Bad
XP - Good
Vista - Bad
7 - Good
8 - Bad

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i really dont get it why people are so upset over windows 8. its a fast and very secure OS compared to previous versions.
yes even as a windows 8 fan i dont see the point for average users to upgrade/pay for windows 8 but if youre buying a new pc/laptop with win 8 on it YOU SHOULD BE GLAD!
its much smoother, better file explorer, better file copy/move handler, built-in AV which is one of the good ones and the removal of start menu and replacing it with metro UI !? I LOVE IT the problem is how people look at the new UI.
for those who hate the new UI lemme ask you something, have you ever been annoyed by the limitaion of start menu and how few items can be put there and everything needed to be on desktop (which slowed the windows) and the fact that you needed app launchers to fill the void? well its all gone! its a bigger, faster, better organized start menu!

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
woomera said:
i really dont get it why people are so upset over windows 8. its a fast and very secure OS compared to previous versions.
yes even as a windows 8 fan i dont see the point for average users to upgrade/pay for windows 8 but if youre buying a new pc/laptop with win 8 on it YOU SHOULD BE GLAD!
its much smoother, better file explorer, better file copy/move handler, built-in AV which is one of the good ones and the removal of start menu and replacing it with metro UI !? I LOVE IT the problem is how people look at the new UI.
for those who hate the new UI lemme ask you something, have you ever been annoyed by the limitaion of start menu and how few items can be put there and everything needed to be on desktop (which slowed the windows) and the fact that you needed app launchers to fill the void? well its all gone! its a bigger, faster, better organized start menu!

I can see the appeal for some people, personally I find almost all the new features of 8 to get in the way and make things take longer to achieve

Example of the new file copy dialogue/handler:

Windows 7: Try copying a load of files into a dir which already has files with the same name, Windows 7 says "Overwrite or Keep both files" Nice and easy, one click.

Windows 8 says: "Click here to choose what to do with each file > Tick the tick box of the files you want to keep or overwrite > Now I have to check all the boxes of files to keep or overwrite.

Why?

Metro UI was fun for a while, but in general it just gets in the way, is buggy, and imo pointless for a desktop PC

Its fine on my laptop, feels more natural using a touchpad with Metro UI, but mouse / keyboard and 23" 1080p LCD, its just big and messy and annoying

They are just a couple of examples, I also went from a perfect Windows 7 machine with 0 bugs, to a Windows 8 machine that made me want to bite my own face off everytime it didn't do what I told it to, such as freezing up when I did something simple like disabling the LAN adapter

Metro UI Mail app, can't reply more than 4 times to 1 single email before the app crashes and you have to create a new email instead

Many many more, and when I reinstalled Windows 7 it was as if I just stopped punching myself in the balls for the past 3 months, relief and joy to use my working machine again

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
I like my windows 8, I am glad that I upgraded. About the lifecycle i knew its lifecycle before I bought it,it was posted on MS website as soon as the OS came out and not recently as all these tech website make it out to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.