Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Ever since the transition over a year ago after my longtime internet service provider sold its assets in my area to another company, I have had great trouble with the spam filtering. The ISP spam filtering traps huge numbers of perfectly legitimate emails that I don't want kept from my Inbox. NOT ONCE has it trapped any of the "You just won a lottery you didn't enter" or "I need help with an inheritance" type emails that come. I don't get a lot of those, maybe one a month. It let a phony Walgreen's phishing email through 13 months ago. Fortunately I didn't bite.

Spam malpractice.png

I am too busy right now to go the trouble of changing ISPs. One support person told I could disable the spam filtering, but another subsequently told me I couldn't. I desire to disable it because it is doing nothing for security and is a big nuisance.

I have my email now with Outlook Express, but I will soon be switching, probably to Thunderbird. I don't want browser-based email because I don't want to navigate from column to column.

Any suggestions?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It's a security themed site fellas, come on :p
ProtonMail is the most secure service on this planet and they have free accounts,
no reason at all not to make the smart choice. Try it on a temp basis and if ya don't
like it, delete the account.
Here: Secure email: ProtonMail is free encrypted email.
I took part in the alpha & beta and I have not looked back since.
PS: and no I am not gaining or benefiting from this at all, I just share
the best when I find it, and it helps that I'm very picky ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Any suggestions for my problems with my internet service provider? Should I be able to have them disable spam filtering?

Honestly I found more accurate on spam filtering of Gmail, Yahoo and Outlook since any related keywords of phony or promo are marked as spam.
Less false positive on legitimate emails.

Better disable from ISP, and you aware on the difference of unsolisticated emails.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
It's a security themed site fellas, come on :p
ProtonMail is the most secure service on this planet and they have free accounts,
no reason at all not to make the smart choice. Try it on a temp basis and if ya don't
like it, delete the account.
Here: Secure email: ProtonMail is free encrypted email.
I took part in the alpha & beta and I have not looked back since.
PS: and no I am not gaining or benefiting from this at all, I just share
the best when I find it, and it helps that I'm very picky ;)

I also use Protonmail , and like yourself , I am a very picky person :)
But I'm also wary of a false sense of security .... not everything is rosy in the Protonmail garden .
Some background reading here :-

End-to-end email encryption – A case study on ProtonMail design limits and security flaws

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Any suggestions for my problems with my internet service provider? Should I be able to have them disable spam filtering?

Are you able to whitelist MalwareTips or anysites thru your isp or current email client? if not try to have them remove it. it seems more of an annoyance as its filtering the wrong content and not filtering the right content.

.... not everything is rosy in the Protonmail garden .

End-to-end email encryption – A case study on ProtonMail design limits and security flaws

I started using protonmail and tutanota after reading about the yahoo email hacking. Both are good considerations for replacement, I use tutanota cause the free account gives 1gb and they don't keep records of your password, once you forget your pw for totanota, there is no recovery option.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I also use Protonmail , and like yourself , I am a very picky person :)
But I'm also wary of a false sense of security .... not everything is rosy in the Protonmail garden .

I am aware ;)
I am also aware that not one thing or solution we implement here is 100% never will be sadly,
but we strive for the best where security and knowledge are concerned and as it stands today
ProtonMail is leagues ahead of any other Similar app or service that is undisputable.
The bold trial ProtonMail blazed albeit imperfect, paved a road for the next and hopefully
improved technology to build upon. That's what encourages me and impresses me, not their
"imperfection" or Profection for that matter, but that they had the ballz to blaze a trail where
before them none existed, all in the name of Privacy, and oh yeah "Security" ;)

Reactions: frogboy and Svoll

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Are you able to whitelist MalwareTips or anysites thru your isp or current email client? if not try to have them remove it. it seems more of an annoyance as its filtering the wrong content and not filtering the right content.

I started using protonmail and tutanota after reading about the yahoo email hacking. Both are good considerations for replacement, I use tutanota cause the free account gives 1gb and they don't keep records of your password, once you forget your pw for totanota, there is no recovery option.
Your using ProtonMail ?
never heard of tutanota, but if your a PM user then you know its not the password you have to worry about it's the Decryption phrase
you had better not forget for PM. I will look later but out of curiosity is tutanota mail encrypted, does it require a "decryption"
phrase or password to open ?
Thanks Svoll

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Your using ProtonMail ?
never heard of tutanota, but if your a PM user then you know its not the password you have to worry about it's the Decryption phrase
you had better not forget for PM. I will look later but out of curiosity is tutanota mail encrypted, does it require a "decryption"
phrase or password to open ?
Thanks Svoll

well this caught my attention. How are my emails encrypted with Tutanota? – Feedback End to End Encryption even if you are sending it to someone on yahoo or hotmail. Its also open source, and it does allow you to set a password on your emails. If you are talking about the decryption to access your mailbox like Proton, then I don't think Tutanota has that function. Their website and community forum has great info, Have a look when you get the time. Both are very good, I just needed more space than the 500mb offered by PM.

Another thing about tutanota is that it doesn't have the daily limit for emails sent for free users. If i had the money, I would most likely go with PM due to their support and the 2 step password decryption you mentioned and no sending limit. I was able to get my nick registered so I am really happen. Doesn't cyberghost@tuta.io or cyberghost@tutanota.de sound cool

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If you are talking about the decryption to access your mailbox like Proton, then I don't think Tutanota has that function
I was brother, and that means that your mail with them is not encrypted "Server Side" which is what I was looking to confirm.
I will give them a peek this weekend.
Thanks Svoll. PeAcE

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
its has a similar decryption, it jsut uses the same password as your login, Tutanota doesn't store your password, so I feel its almost as safe as PM. See ya soon Bud!

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.