It’s not just you – Waze CEO admits app directions have been a bit off recently.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Users of the Waze navigation app has been complaining the app has not been its usual crazy self recently, and instead of routing them round traffic jams, it has instead sent them directly into the middle of them.

The issue has been particularly acute in Israel, where Waze originates, and Waze CEO Guy Berkowitz has admitted that there is a problem.

“We have a problem with the algorithm. The more people we serve, the more it’s affected. The coronavirus has put us in a situation where we have to reinvent our algorithm.”

The issue is that the huge fluctuations in traffic caused by lockdowns has rendered historical traffic data useless. Some of the data were collected during lockdown when there was barely any traffic, and are now having to cope with a massive rebound in traffic as people move to cars and avoid public transport.

Berkowitz said, “The history of the road – which is part of our algorithm – no longer reflects reality. Think of a road whose history shows that there are no traffic jams, and today it is full. So the coronavirus has killed our history and the algorithms need to change and give much more weight to what is happening in real time – and this is not always true, because the way we direct you is not necessarily the short or fast way, but the Waze way.”

Waze is hoping to rebalance its algorithm to concentrate more on immediate rather than historical traffic data, but I imagine this will bring its own problems. Waze says the issue mainly affects Israel, but in my experience, the issue is much more widespread.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The app has gone down the drain since Google bought it. Everything Google touches gets ruined.
I never used Waze (I use Google Maps) so don't know much about it but clearly google's decision to buy them was to acquire some tech and feature Waze has, implement those into Google Maps. Eventually they'll probably stop Waze altogether.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Here in Israel, Waze is king. But I will be visiting the US. Is Google Maps better than Waze for navigating in the US?
Does Google Maps utilize real-time info on traffic conditions?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It does but very rarely. Once had a pop up that it found a faster route, you have to accept it though.
Thanks. So in principle, Google Maps should be better in the US, because AFAIK it has more users than Waze does. More users, more real-time data.

Reactions: plat and oldschool

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Waze user and been one for years. It's a 100% free GPS solution that not only works great when using a car, but comes with very nice features. Sure I have for example also HERE WeGo, but Waze always felt better.

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.