IT WORKED ! (and a question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcaller

Thread author
Sep 11, 2013
I found this site by searching for "malware removal," and I have to say that the malware tips at http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-adware-popup-ads/ are spot on! What great advice. I cannot thank you enough.

Everything worked just as advertised and my system is now rid of the junkware, malware and other garbage that I did not even know was lurking in the background. One of the "applications" (I'm trying to be nice here) called MixiDJ V30 (a browser hacker) had messed up both IE and Firefox. Apparently it piggybacked the install on top of something legitimate. Odd that AVG did not see it.

I found instructions to uninstall it via Add/Remove Software and did so. But apparently it installs itself in multiple places, and when I rebooted, it came back with a vengeance. It blocked my virus scanner and the Add/Remove function in the control panel. But when I ran AdwCleaner, as advised on the blog on this site, the good guys won. No more MixiDJ. Yay.

So now I am going to ask a question to the list. What is the best virus filter/scanner/cleaner? I've tried McAfee and Symantec and Clamwin and AVG but none of them seem to really do the job, or they want an arm and a leg to upgrade to the versions that work.

Looking forward to your replies.
Diane

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
We all Can Help You Protect your system better if you post your system configuration here
http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Security-Configuration-Wizard

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips.

Hope that you enjoy your stay.

The first stop that we recommend is the PC Security Configuration Wizard so that we can give you feedback on your configuration.

Have a look around the forum. You will learn quite a few new things here ;)

Once again welcome :)

dgcaller

Thread author
Sep 11, 2013
loveboy_lion said:
We all Can Help You Protect your system better if you post your system configuration here
http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Security-Configuration-Wizard

Thank you very much for the offer. Here is the sys config.

Netgear router with Zone Alarm

Desktop PC
Win XP PRo version 2002 SP3
Intel DuoCore CPU, 2.95 GHz
2 GB RAM, 500GB HDD
Avira antivirus (installed yesterday, replacing AVG)
Malwarebytes
Zemana AntiLogger Free
Ran Adwcleaner 2 days ago

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Hello and welcome to MalwareTips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.