iVerify - a tool to detect iPhone compromises

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

So what do you guys think? Is this legit?
Sorta. They are basically probing for telltale signs that an iOS device has been jailbroken, which is also done by a lot of streaming video services too.

unfortunately if a device really is jailbroken they can also lie to the app and fool it into thinking it’s legitimate.

just like a PC with UEFI secure boot enabled, you can always erase install the device with a clean OS then restore your data from backup to get your device back to a known clean state. So in that sense I don’t see the point of the app as a security tool.

Reactions: roger_m and notabot

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Sorta. They are basically probing for telltale signs that an iOS device has been jailbroken, which is also done by a lot of streaming video services too.

I'm not questioning it happens but I doubt it happens a lot, are you effectively referring to the Google study as of about one month ago ?

Reactions: roger_m

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I'm not questioning it happens but I doubt it happens a lot, are you effectively referring to the Google study as of about one month ago ?
Not in particular, no, this has been something happening for many years now. The most common technique is to attempt to exec /bin/bash or something like that, which is disallowed in iOS but frequently allowed in a jailbroken system. Some also try to execute code without signatures but that sometimes gets flagged during app review.

this is most common with cable and satellite TV mobile streaming apps. Heck even Pokémon Go has jailbreak detection.

Reactions: roger_m

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Not in particular, no, this has been something happening for many years now. The most common technique is to attempt to exec /bin/bash or something like that, which is disallowed in iOS but frequently allowed in a jailbroken system. Some also try to execute code without signatures but that sometimes gets flagged during app review.

this is most common with cable and satellite TV mobile streaming apps. Heck even Pokémon Go has jailbreak detection.

Ah you meant that the streaming services are probing for jailbroken devices - I thought you meant that streaming services were remotely jailbreaking the devices, which I while entirely possible is not something that happens a lot.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Ah you meant that the streaming services are probing for jailbroken devices - I thought you meant that streaming services were remotely jailbreaking the devices, which I while entirely possible is not something that happens a lot.
Lol the former and definitely not the latter! Ahaha.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.