Jack's HTC M9 - Configuration (2017)

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
This is the configuration for my 2015 phone, still works very well, so I don't plan to change it in the next months.
Currently I'm trying Sophos as antivirus, and I really like it. Here are a few of the features of this AV - Android Security Download: Free Malware Removal for Android Devices | Sophos Free Tools -
Features
Anti-malware and antivirus protection
  • Scans apps when you install them
  • Scans previously installed apps both on your device and on storage devices
  • Scans apps either on demand or in set intervals
  • Shows you potentially unwanted apps (PUAs)
  • Protects you from malicious use of USSDs
  • Uses up-to-the-minute threat intelligence from the cloud
Loss and theft protection
  • Send text commands from pre-defined phone numbers to perform various tasks
  • Remote lock or wipe a lost or stolen Android device
  • Trigger a remote alarm to make your phone ring loudly
  • Display a message for the finder
  • Reset your device passcode
  • Locate your device with tracking technology (the device also sends its last location before the battery runs out)
  • Informs you of a SIM change
Spam protection
  • Filters incoming text messages (SMS) according to your rules
  • Places texts with malicious URLs in quarantine
  • Blocks unwanted calls according to the filters you set, e.g., calls with hidden user ID
Privacy protection and security
  • Detects apps accessing personal data such as your address book
  • Allows you to easily identify apps which can involve costs or fees
  • Gives you advice on how to improve your security settings
Authenticator
  • Generate both time-based TOTP (RFC 6238) or counter-based HOTP (RFC 4226) one-time passwords
  • Use with any Google Authenticator-enabled application for multi-factor authentication
  • Manage multiple accounts from the same screen
Secure QR Code Scanner
  • Confirms target URLs are free of malicious content before opening
  • Flags security issues with Wi-Fi settings QR codes
  • Safely add QR code signatures to device contacts

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Sophos is cool and reliable.
Indeed, was using Avast Free however they've filled the app with ads.. can't be really used now. Sophos created a complete app with premium features and is free. The big AV companies will have a hard time matching this Android AV.

Does CCleaner for Android really work or is it another Clean Master junk app?
It's better than Clean Master because it's not that bloated, however like any optimizing app you may feel is not need it. I like the CCleaner's App Manager as it has all the info in one place, and I do use the Cleaning feature once or twice per month. Not an app that I use on a daily basis, but it's good to have it there.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
i did the exact same thing on my desire eye, replaced avast with sophos.

on my s7 though i got bitdefender & zemana taking care of it.

for maintenance i would recommend htc boost+. it works flawlessly on non-htc droids too.

for sharing i would totally recommend cm transfer. have never liked cheetah mobile apps but cm transfer is 100% ad free unlike shareit.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Nice config! How is Sophos resource usage?
Personally I don't use AV on phone, only download some popular ones once on a while, scan and delete. Mainly because they're not powerful enough because of Android limitations.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
How is Sophos resource usage?
Here are some stats, as @Umbra said it's using around 50MB of RAM. Overall I can't feel any system impact, and same goes for the battery life, truth be told it does not last more than a day (12 hours) with or without this app.
Here are the specs for this phone - HTC One M9 | One Smartphone | HTC United States | HTC United States
Screenshot_20170721-112158.png

Personally I don't use AV on phone, only download some popular ones once on a while, scan and delete. Mainly because they're not powerful enough because of Android limitations.
True when installed you will need to grant it a lot of permissions, and with Android 7 the chances of infecting your device with malware are very low. I do use the antivirus because I like the extra features, the Anti-Theft - useful if I ever lose my device, the Web Guard - wars me of malicious sites, the App Protection - allows you to lock apps with pass (Whatsapp, Facebook etc..), Spam protection - Block calls with hidden numbers. The anti-malware feature is just the cherry on top.

Screenshot_20170721-112912.png Screenshot_20170721-112936.png

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Here are some stats, as @Umbra said it take around 50MB of RAM. Overall I can't feel any system impact, and same goes for the battery life, truth be told it does not last more than a day (12 hours) with or without this app.
Here are the specs for this phone - HTC One M9 | One Smartphone | HTC United States | HTC United States
View attachment 160298

True when installed you will need to grant it a lot of permissions, and with Android 7 the chances of infecting your device with malware are very low. I do use the antivirus because I like the extra features, the Anti-Theft - useful if I ever lose my device, the Web Guard - wars me of malicious sites, the App Protection - allows you to lock apps with pass (Whatsapp, Facebook etc..), Spam protection - Block calls with hidden numbers. The anti-malware feature is just the cherry on top.

View attachment 160297 View attachment 160296
Thats quite a feature rich app. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Same here; need the features , not the scanner :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Wow good thing that some smartphones brand are still supported up to the latest one of Android, something barely I've encountered.

Well money is a money nowadays.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
This is the configuration for my 2015 phone, still works very well, so I don't plan to change it in the next months.
Currently I'm trying Sophos as antivirus, and I really like it. Here are a few of the features of this AV - Android Security Download: Free Malware Removal for Android Devices | Sophos Free Tools -
Ha! I have the same unit, with almost all the same settings & apps, namely Sophos. I'm also a long time Malwarebytes beta tester. Join on the G+ page for anyone interested. I used Adgaurd back when it was free, right after they were booted by Google. But these days, I have several, open source, free, adblockers. https://Blockthis.com was one of the first. Works well, DNS filtering like Adgaurd and Disconnect. Filters phishing/ malware, besides ads. I should post about these in the proper category. Thanks for all the site upgrades. Nice.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Does CCleaner for Android really work or is it another Clean Master junk app?

Hi,

Did you know Avast recently bought Piriform, the developers of C Cleaner? Google Avast & ccleaner for their blog post on it. They pledge to leave it as an independent company, or division. So it's safe for now. It's very highly rated and been around for a long time. Desktop and Android apps available.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014

Malwarebytes Mobile Security beta has done some serious upgrades. But they are moving to a Premium/Freemium model. See screenshot of new features. Especially the ransomware scans for files that mutate after installing seemingly benign apps.
Screenshot_20170810-231023.png

Reactions: Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.