Factory Image on partition

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
OKAY EVERYONE... MY NEW CONFIG AND RETIRED THE OLD PC AND NOW USING A NEW DESKTOP. :)

AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE'S NO MALWARE INFECTION IN THE 2 MONTHS I BEEN USING IT FROM A FACTORY RESTORE. I COULD USE SOME MAJOR HELP IN FREE SOFTWARE AND SECURITY SUGGESTIONS.

NOT SURE WHERE TO GO WITH THIS, SO MANY GOOD OPTIONS.

WINDOWS 7 IS NEW STILL TO ME AS I BEEN AN XP USER FOR YEARS AND YEARS, HENCE MY NAME ;)

Last edited:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
What can I say?
Great config, great Comodo internet security, if you use it well. you have all the needed to be protected from malware.

extension that you may need- --HTTPs everywhere.

...the OS is old but if you can't change it keep it and be carefull.

Regards;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Good setup! :)

Simply it helps your awareness to prevent any infections especially if you are repeatedly browsing to those commonly website you surf that's why no infection may happen, which goes also to my current setup also. (WD + Mcshield) so really it will take a years and no risk test of samples conducted.

+ Really deserve a better computer to experience swift and reliable performance. ;)

I

illumination

Looks like a good config, although i would consider investing into a more recent machine and operating system since XP is no longer supported, and well that hardware is not going to be able to keep up for ever ;)

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Looks like a good config, although i would consider investing into a more recent machine and operating system since XP is no longer supported, and well that hardware is not going to be able to keep up for ever ;)

Yep you said it,

Windows XP is now approaching its first year of being in the retirement home ;) It is my third OS after Windows 95 and 98. and its been my favorite, so far. I tested out Vista before, but never tried Windows 7 or 8 yet :eek: I'm always last to upgrade I think, and can be stubborn to change...

The hardware shows its age a bit since 2012. I noticed much more demand on the processor, as well needing a RAM upgrade. I made adjustments to both, of course more RAM helps anything move quicker.

To me, it seems like its been longer since Microsoft ended XP support. Only a year? o_O

I

illumination

Yep you said it,

Windows XP is now approaching its first year of being in the retirement home ;) It is my third OS after Windows 95 and 98. and its been my favorite, so far. I tested out Vista before, but never tried Windows 7 or 8 yet :eek: I'm always last to upgrade I think, and can be stubborn to change...

The hardware shows its age a bit since 2012. I noticed much more demand on the processor, as well needing a RAM upgrade. I made adjustments to both, of course more RAM helps anything move quicker.

To me, it seems like its been longer since Microsoft ended XP support. Only a year? o_O
Some just do not like that change, and this i understand.. Windows 7 has dropped main stream support but extended support will run until 2020, and windows 7 would be your next logical step of "not to much change" ;)

Although i can say after having windows 7 for a few years, and then riding the whole windows 8 to windows 8.1 train, that windows 8.1 is not bad at all once you get used to it. It is much lighter then windows 7, and not hard to navigate.

My girlfriend was using Vista for years, i introduced her to Linux "she is an average computer user", and she took to it, and loved it, then i fixed up a laptop after 6 months of that, with windows 8.1, and it took a couple days for her to get used to it, now she loves it, so one never knows until they take one of these for a good drive :)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nice Config!!!! It took me a very long time to abandon XP for Windows 7 in fact I still have a desktop dual booted with XP & Windows 7 :D
I think now the time is right to update to at least 7 as Windows 10 is right around the corner and will more than likely be an update at no cost.
One of these days I will wipe the HDD and say goodbye to XP forever :(

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
comodo is a good av but not user friendly anyways good config

Very true, and the more I been using Comodo (1-2 months) the less intimidating it's settings are, I like how responsive Comodo's AV is, when changing options back and forth. No error messages, log ins, adds or registering to fuss about.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Updates to my Compaq Presario SR1000 series desktop.

It's very speedy even with its old Athlon 2.0 GHz Processor :) Just don't expect 720 HD on youtube :p

Operating System:
Windows XP (Fanboy Service Pack 4+ All extra updates)
Real-Time Protection:
Avast Free + Hardened Mode
Privacy and Optimisation:
Modems Firewall, Avast Home Security, Browser Checkup.
Backup and Recovery:
Recovery Partition [D:], USB Stick, Burnable CD', Boot CD fixer
Web Browser:
Firefox, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, Opera
Extensions and Plugins:
Bluhell Firewall, Disconnect, Forecast Plus, Low Quality Flash, Flag Fox, Memory Fox, Qualys Browser Check (Updates software + security), Rain Alarm, Addon Bar, Security Plus, WOT, YouTube Enhancer Plus
Other Software:
Wise Care 365, Ccleaner, Defraggler, Advanced Uninstaller Pro 11, WPS Office, Sumatra PDF, Slsk, Winamp, VLC, Quicktime Player, Windows Media Player 11, Yahoo Messenger

Any recommended settings for Avast free? My first time using it on a desktop... runs nice n' light!

CIS 8... user interface is not compatible anymore, neither is AVG. Their NEWEST versions wont install :eek: !

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@JakeXPMan, thank you for sharing your fascinating configuration.:):) Recently we introduced CIS 8 to our desktop XP. So far so good. We like Avast!, and have it on our Windows 8.1 lap top with hardened mode set at moderate. With your XP, you might benefit by trying it set to 'aggressive' which could keep you both busier & safer, though I've not tested it yet, I'd say it's worth a try.;)

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
@JakeXPMan, thank you for sharing your fascinating configuration.:):) Recently we introduced CIS 8 to our desktop XP. So far so good. We like Avast!, and have it on our Windows 8.1 lap top with hardened mode set at moderate. Your XP you might benefit by trying it set to 'aggresive' which could keep you both busier & safer, though I've not tested it yet, I'd say it's worth a try.;)

Glad to add my unconventional expired OS setups ;) XP is good enough until I upgrade to a newer PC with at least a W7.

CIS 8 works well on XP though! I can't use it on this old machine, graphics or CPU can't handle the new 8.2, who knows, instead of tinkering... I just went Avast on Hardened mode. (Moderate or Aggressive) I tried agressive and works okay, for net surfing... I dunno if it blocks certain downloads?

One quick question. How come Avast has the lowest PF usage, apart from MSE? Everything is low-impact on Avast but with great Malware protection... how do they do it?!

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Glad to add my unconventional expired OS setups ;) XP is good enough until I upgrade to a newer PC with at least a W7.

CIS 8 works well on XP though! I can't use it on this old machine, graphics or CPU can't handle the new 8.2, who knows, instead of tinkering... I just went Avast on Hardened mode. (Moderate or Aggressive) I tried agressive and works okay, for net surfing... I dunno if it blocks certain downloads?

One quick question. How come Avast has the lowest PF usage, apart from MSE? Everything is low-impact on Avast but with great Malware protection... how do they do it?!
That's such a good question, and (even though I really don't know..) something tells me it may have some correlation to how Avast! also alleviates those graphics problems on your 'vintage' machine!:cool: I'd <copied> then <pasted> "Avast has the lowest PF usage" on the address line; and the 2nd hit was for a thread on this great site called MalwareTips!:p
By the time I'd gotten down to post #8 it dawned on me how staff member littlebits' post was one I'd read back in May of the same year I joined!:rolleyes::D ..and turned out to actually be among the threads that lead me to become an Avast! user!:):)

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Bump!

New config and old PC replaced by newer Compaq Presario model, the CQ5000 series, got it in late June, time to figure what to put on it.

HP Compaq Presario Refurbished Desktop PC
AMD Athlon II 170u 2GHz
3GB DDR2
500GB HDD
DVDRW
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (x64)

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Still using the humble software it came with pretty much, got it in late June 2015. Time to figure what to put on it.

Operating System:
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1+ All Updates
Last malware infection:
Never
Real-Time Protection:
Windows Defender + Unactivated Norton 2011 says its up to date?
On-demand scanners:
Malwarebytes Free
Privacy and Optimisation:
None
Backup and Recovery:
System Image on Hard Drive, USB Stick
Web Browser:
Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera
Extensions and Plugins:
Bluhell Firewall, Disconnect, Forecast Plus, Qualys Browser Check, Rain Alarm, Addon Bar, WOT
Other Software:
Compaq DEFAULT STUFF, Wise Care 365, CCleaner

I could use help on what to add, remove... or advice on what works.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Very nice @JakeXPMan!:):) I'm confident you'd secured it with a super deal.;) My wife wanted to know where you found it after I'd mentioned you're sporting a new refurbished HP with Windows 7!:p

I'll recommend adding HTTPS Everywhere to encrypt communications (where available) HTTPS Everywhere which I just now happened to do for Firefox (on linux).:cool:

LastPass LastPass | Password Manager, Auto Form Filler, Random Password Generator & Secure Digital Wallet App is another must have add-on (imho) which is absolutely free. It uses encryption security to protect while at the same time remembering all your passwords while you only need to remember (1) master password (or pass phrase). It's probably my favorite just because it's made life much easier for us.:):)

Once again, nice new desktop. Way to go!:D

Edit: The banner below speaks for itself, but here's a link for Sandboxie too which includes videos, reviews, and tutorials, as well as the free program download itself!;)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.