Japhrimel Config

Japhrimel

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
I am an interested novice in privacy security.

So, Many Thanx to Biozfear, Umbra Corp in particular-along with many others who provided invaluable advice whilst burrowing thu this brilliant site.

I was running comodo 6 Free and avast av free in combo and it seemed ok.
As I said I am a novice, but smart too-so i applied myself to CIS-god it was naggy for a while but while I came to grips with it-sort of.

that is the abridged me.

ANY RECOMENDATIONS ?
Thx

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Antivirus: Emsisoft -I am assuming you are using the Internet Security Pack Good.
Second Opinion Scanner: Mbam and Emsisoft -Good
Add-Ons: Adblock, WOT -Good
CCleaner -Good

P

Plexx

Nothing really to add as long as you are comfortable with EAM occasional high ram usage and sometimes a slow boot up.

OA that you are using is part of the EIS or standalone? If it is the standalone and fee, you could always try the windows 7 firewall along with Tinywall.

Backup options I don't need to mention as I believe you have already seen the posts with my recommendations. If not just let me know :)

Glad to know you found this site informative.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Welcome,Looks good!! There is plenty of knowledge as well as rock solid information and guidance on the site.

Japhrimel

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
ram usage peaked at 178 meg on a scan
on idle it varied between 2meg to 17 meg
opening the gui took it to 18meg
opening firefox 27 meg then it cooled down
opening chrome 97 meg

my sys only has 4gig ram . are these numbers high?

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
you can use system backup software like macrium reflect free and easeus todo backup free

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hello Japhrimel,
Real-time protection
Don't know much about Emsisoft 7, so can't really give some advice there, but if you practice a smart online behavior then you should dramatically decrees your chances of getting infected. You can read some tips on how to avoid infections here: http://malwaretips.com/blogs/how-to-easily-avoid-pc-infections/

Browser protection
Not much I can add here. You have got everything that I like, from WOT to Lastpass. :)

Virtualization:
Even if you submitted a file to virustotal.com and it said that it's clean , you'll need to run it in virtual environment because sometimes infection can be so new that security vendors don't have signs for it.

Virtualization software will allow you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the Web browser will be completely contained within the virtual enviroment, preventing any damage to your computer.
A sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.
I strongly advise you to install Sandboxie and use it when you're browsing the Internet or running shady/unknown programs.
Alternately you can try BufferZone PRO (Free) , another great virtualization software.

Sandboxie (Free/Paid) - link
Sandboxie runs your programs in an isolated space which prevents them from making permanent changes to other programs and data in your computer.

Always run suspicious of freshly downloaded files in a Sandboxie to verify that he download isn't compromised!Sandboxie will replicate perfectly your operating system so all the files should run without any problems in it.

Backup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Japhrimel

Thread author
Oct 30, 2012
Thanx McLovin,

Really appreciate the advice. I tried bufferzone, but it would not run with comodo- seemed as if no workaround was available either. I will try it with EIS- it seems like a truly invaluable addition. For backup i will survey all the recommendations so far listed, but for me i am in the dark with this and it seems like an advanced user thing-partitions etc. I will prob go for a functionality vs ease of use ratio.

still climbing the learning curve

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.