Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Are you sure you're protected from all angles?

Macrium Reflect doesn't fall under an on-demand scanner.

SpywareBlaster is made redundant by your browser and adblocker extension.

If you have Windows Updates enabled, Microsoft push an updated version of MRT and is automatically run once a month during the update. No need to download it.

Find out more: Malicious Software Removal Tool | Official Microsoft Download Center

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi, I think you are over-protected. It probably impacts your system performance.
look, you have voodooshield and hitmanpro.alert. that's strong stuff.
get rid of those malwarebytes products. they are superfluous.
same with SpywareBlaster and CryptoPrevent Premium

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Hi, I think you are over-protected. It probably impacts your system performance.
look, you have voodooshield and hitmanpro.alert. that's strong stuff.
get rid of those malwarebytes products. they are superfluous.
same with SpywareBlaster and CryptoPrevent Premium
Cannot agree less. How many knights do you want your files and processes to go through every sec?

A simple yet secure setup will be that of WD + HMPA + VDS or you can even remove VDS from this. It's good for preventive security.
Rest are either useless realtime softwares (for your setup due to overlappings) or are good as on-demand scanners only.

You might consider adding uBlock origins (ads and malware domain blocking) and HTTPS Everywhere to chrome, removing AdBlock and WOT.
Keep safe!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
+1 on Parsh's suggestions.
if you do like he says, you are set up like a boss.
use the other tools as on-demand scanners, whenever you feel like giving your system a once-over, but don't run them in realtime because they will slow you down.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Not sure why you are using both Macrium Reflect and AOMEI Backupper let alone daily backups with,I am assuming,both programs?
Use Windows Defender,HMPA & VoodooShield.
Why do you have HitmanPro as on demand when you have HitmanPro Alert in real time?
Consider removing SpywareBlaster and use Malwarebytes in place of HitmanPro as on demand
Please edit your config accordingly and remove Macrium from your on demand scanner list.
uBlock Origin in place of ABD +
Thanks for sharing your config :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Appreciate the suggestions. I think I will try running (as Parsh suggested) WD+HPMA+VDS and use a couple others as on demand only, and see how it goes. Thanks!
yeah, give it a try and see if you like it. You can always change your config back at any time if you want.

John Burns

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 20, 2017
Thanks JM Security - done! Changed to Opera Browser with Block ads, HTTPS Everywhere, Enable VPN and History Eraser.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

John Burns

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 20, 2017
Have given up on MBAM, and HMPA was slowing shutdown on pc, so I adjusted security setup. Maybe I can find the right mixture if I keep trying.

Last edited:

John Burns

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 20, 2017
Tried Kaspersky Internet Security, but even tho it seemed to work ok, I did not feel secure with a Russian program so involved with Russian Government. So have gone back to Windows Defender along with MBAM. I have to feel secure with what I choose and Russia/Trump are just not a good feeling of security for me.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Finally settling on KIS + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware+ VoodooShield after trying several combonations
Great combo mate. Seems a bit too much taking into account Kaspersky Application Control, but if it works for you it won't hurt. Looking onto your security config, i'd just recommend you to set UAC to the maximum. It's always good to have it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.