josin's Oneplus one

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have been an android user from 2010 on wards. My first one was LG P500. Then came Nexus 4 and now One plus one( been using this for the past 2 years). All of my devices were rooted, customized to the very end possible and i am a flashaholic from the very beginning of my android days. I use root privilege for AFwall, Adaway, for backing up my data (TWRP) and obviously for Os up dates and up gradation and for backing up EFS data (I feel much safer to have my EFS data backed up with me).I have never hard bricked any of my devices ever and Oh boy flashing is fun.

L

LabZero

Anyway you know that the root increases the risks of data security. Get the permission of administrator is equivalent to having full access to the phone. This privilege is not only our, but also of the applications that we install and if dangerous or infected, they may obtain all the information they want.
When an app tries to obtain the permission of administrator, you can get a warning but it is need maximum attention and it is not sufficient to avoid the alternative markets, considering that the Play Store is also hosting malicious apps.

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
ya i know the risks involved...thats exactly why i don't use any banking applications/eCommerce transactions on my mobile. Anyway malicious apps can get to you even if you are not rooted. If a malicious app get to you in your un rooted android you are done. But I can come back even if am infected/damaged. I am rooted knowing the risks and i know the extent of damage if anything goes wrong and i got my back covered for that. So I feel more secure in that way. But I don't suggest any one to get rooted if you don't know what you are doing.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
It is pointless to have more then one security app unless its a firewall. So I would get rid of Prey extra security which I never heard of. I would add kaspersky threat scan and check out some trend micro apps, they will protect you from the vulnerabilities of a rooted phone. And then again of course if it is rooted be aware of what you install, and it is nice to see you have a firewall, every rooted device should have one.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It is pointless to have more then one security app unless its a firewall. So I would get rid of Prey extra security which I never heard of. I would add kaspersky threat scan and check out some trend micro apps, they will protect you from the vulnerabilities of a rooted phone. And then again of course if it is rooted be aware of what you install, and it is nice to see you have a firewall, every rooted device should have one.
Prey is a powerful Anti-Theft security app, and likely the best on the market. Prey Anti-Theft is also cross-platform and covers 3 devices on the Free plan.

I would suggest you do some research first.

Reactions: Brahman

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Prey is a powerful Anti-Theft security app, and likely the best on the market. Prey Anti-Theft is also cross-platform and covers 3 devices on the Free plan.

Hi Huracan. Thanks for sharing this great app. Did some googling on that. It's a great one and on top of that it's free given the feature provided.

Reactions: Brahman and Ink

Brahman

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013

There is no better free anti-theft app than "prey" for the time being. I was using "Cerberus anti theft" but after 3 years my acc got terminated. It had pretty good features if you are willing to pay.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.