New Update JShelter - JavaScript Restrictor

Add-on/Extension Page
https://jshelter.org/
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Link: Fingerprinting defenses 2.0 | Brave Browser

1686201680768.png

I remember a discussion with Kees1958 and the lead developer (and project leader) of JShelter over here and on Github, where Kees1958 even posted not to use JShelter because it randomized values outside the '"real world range". Later on the lead developer made a 180 and added an issue himself to randomize using a real world set or scope range. JShelter calls this little lies. The developers seem to be influenced by Brave a lot. I have not seen Kees1958 reconciling with JShelter.

From what I read and understand JShelter now seems to be the only free extension developing anti-fingerprininting which really works. I am using it on-demand (right click allow access to a website in Edge) using Chromium browsers option to use an extension on specific websites only. I also use a setting which is more focussed on little lies than protection (but still seems to work well, as posted in this thread: link to more farbling oriented settings)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

It could just be me, but JShelter doesn't seem to prevent canvas fingerprinting for me anymore at browserleaks.com. It used to, but doesn't now. Can anyone confirm?

Update - Interestingly enough, JShelter works in a new profile. With my current one it seems JShelter is not working at all. But I can't understand why, and there's no indication.
Late response, it protects over different browsing sessions. When you refresh the page, the identifier remains the same, when you close and open the browser it is different. This is actually a good implementation, because it reduces website breakage (it is better your fingerprint remains the same in the one browsing session).
1686237205996.png

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since the Technical Demo gives me a new fingerprint after having closed and opened the browser canvasblocker seems to work ok. Thanks for the test site suggestion.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
@Freki123 just go to Technical Demo - Fingerprint Pro and check whether your ID is unique between two browser sessions (after having closed and opened the browser) to see how effective CanvasBlocker is

@oldschool could you please try how FF with your hardened fingerprinting settings scores on Fingerprinting Pro?
Works with tweaked Firefox about:config settings without installing any extension. it says the ID will be the same even if connected to a VPN. Here on my tweaked config the fingerprint ID is randomized when I connect to a VPN + tweaked Firefox:

Without VPN + tweaked about:config settings:

Screenshot 2023-06-09 183848.png

With VPN + tweaked about:config settings:

Screenshot 2023-06-09 183921.png

--> No JShelter / Canvas Blocker required

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Good to know, but I prefer
a) the AppContainer sandbox and other security enhancements of Edge over Firefox lagging security
b) Microsoft pre-loading Edge for (noticable) faster startup on my 10 year old PC
c) the option to use JShelter on-demand (no website breakage)

but in 2025 I will sitch to Linux and Firefox (when W10 eol), so thanks @Kongo for letting me know (y)

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Works with tweaked Firefox about:config settings without installing any extension. it says the ID will be the same even if connected to a VPN. Here on my tweaked config the fingerprint ID is randomized when I connect to a VPN + tweaked Firefox:

Without VPN + tweaked about:config settings:

View attachment 276019

With VPN + tweaked about:config settings:

View attachment 276020

--> No JShelter / Canvas Blocker required

Good to know, I guess. I must have missed the part where you actually said what your tweaked firefox settings are. I assume it's at least privacy.resistFingerprinting=true.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
August 31, 2023 Chrome Web Store
Release history 0.14

Added support for internationalization, Czech translation added, see blog post for instrctions for translators
All texts revisited, clarified, and fixed grammar and typos
Improved performance of Canvas and Audio little-lies wrappers by executing in WebAssembly, there will be a separate blog post with additional explanations. See the bachelor thesis of Martin Zmitko for more details.
Improved performance of FPD. See the bachelor thesis of Martin Zmitko for more details.
Expand description of the wrappers applied when the user interacts with the tweak GUI (suggested by the Plain Text UX review)
Make level names in main options section stable width
NSCL updated:
Prevent dead object access on using backward/forward cache of the browser
Fixed property/function mismatch
JShelter: Release history

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.