Jul/Aug AV-Test.org (Windows 7)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
kaspersky, get 6 for protection, same with BitDefender.
impressed. otherwise, symantec just get 5.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Now that's a first... KIS 2012 on the 1st place..Didn't see them up-there from quite some time now, while MSE 2.0 showed in this test the limitation of a simple antivirus .... with AVG and Avast Free basically showing MSE how it's done:p

Number of malware samples used by AV-TEST :

Protection against 0-day malware attacks, inclusive of web and e-mail threats (Real-World Testing) : Samples used: 79

Detection of a representative set of malware discovered in the last 2-3 months (AV-Test reference set) : Samples used: 230,452

Detection of widespread and prevalent malware (according to AV-TEST data) : Samples used: 5,000

And again a simple question: Why wasn't COMODO tested???

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
And again a simple question: Why wasn't COMODO tested???

because they are the rebels against the Empire :D

more seriously, i really think they will wait CIS v6

D

Deleted member 178

comodo (and its CEO, Melhi) said many times that current AV tests organization value the detection and removal of the tested apps, and CIS is focused on prevention. (something like that)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
comodo (and its CEO, Melhi) said many times that current AV tests organization value the detection and removal of the tested apps, and CIS is focused on prevention. (something like that)

Melhi has used so many different excuses of why Comodo won't join testing that I have lost count. What I believe is Melhi is afraid of failure. In many AV testing environments, AV products will fail if they detect false positives, block safe processes, are not novice user friendly, slow down Windows (nothing to do with RAM), etc.

I have no doubt that CIS offers supreme protection under the hands of advanced users, therefore there is really no reason why CIS wouldn't be the best protection for advanced users if they really needed that kind of protection. However many advanced users already know about how to avoid security problems and don't need this kind of extra protection.

But putting CIS in the hands of a novice user will equal total failure. That's how most of the tests operate. I do agree with Melhi to a certain point, I don't believe there is any AV tests that can show CIS full potentials. CIS is very unique and doesn't appeal to most users because of its complexity. AV testing sites would be very harsh on CIS and to a point wouldn't give it a fare rating.

I seriously don't believe Melhi will ever open the doors for CIS to be tested by AV testing sites.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
I seriously don't believe Melhi will ever open the doors for CIS to be tested by AV testing sites.

He doesn't care if it gets tested. He's just not going to pay for it to be tested unless he agrees with the testing methodology.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
I have no doubt that CIS offers supreme protection under the hands of advanced users

i agree

therefore there is really no reason why CIS wouldn't be the best protection for advanced users if they really needed that kind of protection. However many advanced users already know about how to avoid security problems and don't need this kind of extra protection.

i agree less in that part, if you allow me a comparison, even a champion of car racing will still use the seat-belt and airbags of his daily use car.

But putting CIS in the hands of a novice user will equal total failure. That's how most of the tests operate. I do agree with Melhi to a certain point, I don't believe there is any AV tests that can show CIS full potentials. CIS is very unique and doesn't appeal to most users because of its complexity. AV testing sites would be very harsh on CIS and to a point wouldn't give it a fare rating.

i very agree, cant say better.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Littlebits said:

He doesn't care if it gets tested. He's just not going to pay for it to be tested unless he agrees with the testing methodology.

Let me rephrase my statement:
I don't think Melhi will ever agree to any testing methodology therefore CIS will never get tested. Testing sites have their own rules and they are not going to change them just because one vendor doesn't agree with them.

So if you are a CIS users and it does its job for you, then you really don't need a test to prove anything, you are the living proof. But if CIS is not working for you there are many other options that you can use that do have tests to verify how it works. Don't hold your breathe waiting on CIS to be tested. :p

Thanks.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Good job Panda! (y)

Both Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition and Panda Internet Security 2012 achieved some of the top scores in protection. In addition Panda Cloud Antivirus achieved very good scores for usability, with very little slowdown of the test computers and zero false positives (when the industry average for this test was 17 false positives).

http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2011/09/30/cloudav-debuts-at-av-test/

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
One reason why i dont like comodo it keeps sandboxing/restricting valid files like dwm.exe (windows file?) ccc.exe wich is apart of ATI control center and logitech setpoint, personally for me to ever use comodo they need to improve it, would also like to see av corp test it

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
Have you try v.5.8? Do you see any improvement with restricting valid files?
Most of the files are non-sign so that's highly the case.
With the previous build it always forget its settings even after being put to trusted.
They really improved with the 5.8 build, both in whitelisting and sandboxing.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 178

Nathan Wootton said:
One reason why i dont like comodo it keeps sandboxing/restricting valid files like dwm.exe (windows file?) ccc.exe wich is apart of ATI control center and logitech setpoint, personally for me to ever use comodo they need to improve it, would also like to see av corp test it

that is the purpose of an HIPS (allow or block), i use CIS (and CFW before when the AV part was not yet added) and after i allowed a process/file, it never bothered me anymore. Remember that Comodo FW was a software for advanced users (knowing what they do), before its popularity decide its developers to make it more friendly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.