Battle Just wondering!

Status
Not open for further replies.

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
I know this is the war room! But I don't get the point of putting "[antivirus] vs [antivirus] which one is better? Please comment with your opinion.... " Once in a while is ok but at least for me there's no better and there's no worse.... why? This companies work really hard to deliver their best!!! (I AGREE THAT SOME OF THEM ARE JUST MONEY VACUUMS) I'm not defending nor attacking any of them.... But when you say Eset is better than Kaspersky..... Kaspersky is better than eset...... Eset is better than anything....... Those are just opinions based on your experience and your favorite software.... BUT PEOPLE!!!!! Have you seen the tests..... One can be better than the rest this month but probably that one won't perform as good the next month...... It's all based on company performance..... THEY ARE HUMAN NOT ROBOTS.... When some users say.... OH! Microsoft Security Essentials is BS because it has bad detection and it doesn't work.... HELLO not everybody can afford a BMW and they can just get a hyundai or a toyota..... WHATEVER!!!!! They point here is that it doesn't matter what car you have if it still let you drive and everything is on the drivers hand.... Isn't it?????!!!!! What piss me off for real is people saying oh that's crap... oh that's bad... oh that doesn't work.... Instead of saying yes is a good consideration........ Well people why don't you go and work with them so you can make it better..... (No offense to anybody) :) I'm not throwing rocks here..... It's just people doesn't even test the software sometimes and they like to talk that way.... I'm a NIS user and for me it works excellent and I don't pay the full price I look for discounts and coupons and before that one I had kaspersky and It works great I love both of them but this year I decided I wanted Norton.... AND IT WORKS EXCELLENT FOR ME..... AND I LOVE IT.... Just like I love Eset because I had it in the past..... When I'm looking for ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE if I have the money I look for a good price.... So next year if I can get a good deal on Eset perhaps I can get it.... If not I will keep my NIS that I got for 80% off!

PD: I'm not saying this to create TROUBLE HERE so I appreciate if you're going to post something be nice.... Besides this should be a help forum!

Last edited:

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Everyone has a different opinion on which antivirus is best.
I understand and they can say whatever they want based on their opinion its just some people talk without testing.... And that is not an opinion that is just a person looking for something else..... Opinions are based on test and research....

But yes buddy I respect your honest comment and it's true... I didn't say anything bad about it!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I agree with you a hundred percent that you should choose an antivirus that works for you, not simply because it has the best detection rates or because it's more secure. Bitdefender and Kaspersky had the best detection rates in plenty of tests that I looked at but testing them both on my computer, neither really worked for me, bitdefender had too many notifications and alerts about unimportant events (which many people will classify as false positives) and Kaspersky caused me some bugs.

I also have a negative opinion however of Zone Alarm which is influenced to a certain degree by having tested an old version of it some years ago (the force field feature was terrible, frequently corrupted my downloads), so if somebody asked me to vote or share an opinion, that would be all I could share, based off what has probably improved by now (though to be honest, I tested Zone Alarm IS recently and had multiple bugs and network issues too).

So what I'm saying basically is that I agree people shouldn't just flame a particular product because of the stereotype, (how many jokes have we had about McAfee and Norton?).. But I definitely think people shouldn't be shot down for holding a negative opinion if it's based on a past experience they've had, or maybe a friend has had it installed, etc.

Not meaning any offence by the way :)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I agree with you a hundred percent that you should choose an antivirus that works for you, not simply because it has the best detection rates or because it's more secure. Bitdefender and Kaspersky had the best detection rates in plenty of tests that I looked at but testing them both on my computer, neither really worked for me, bitdefender had too many notifications and alerts about unimportant events (which many people will classify as false positives) and Kaspersky caused me some bugs.

I also have a negative opinion however of Zone Alarm which is influenced to a certain degree by having tested an old version of it some years ago (the force field feature was terrible, frequently corrupted my downloads), so if somebody asked me to vote or share an opinion, that would be all I could share, based off what has probably improved by now (though to be honest, I tested Zone Alarm IS recently and had multiple bugs and network issues too).

So what I'm saying basically is that I agree people shouldn't just flame a particular product because of the stereotype, (how many jokes have we had about McAfee and Norton?).. But I definitely think people shouldn't be shot down for holding a negative opinion if it's based on a past experience they've had, or maybe a friend has had it installed, etc.

"people shouldn't just flame a particular product because of the stereotype"

- I like your statements.

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014

Excellent! Bitdefender was good on my experience but I didn't like it! Because it was extremely heavy on my system and I have an ssd with i7 and 6gb of ddr 3 ram and still the boot time on windows 8.1 was forever and ever slow hahahaha But thank you for your comment I really appreciate.

Last edited:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Many members take AV testing too serious, what if an AV did bad on a test does that mean it isn't good? All AV's will have hits and misses but the bottom line is malware doesn't magically appear on your system, you have control over what you download and run.

Unless a user encounters the exact same malware in a sample test and ignorantly downloads and runs it, the AV testing results really mean nothing at all. Just because a sample is missed by an AV doesn't mean it successfully infects the system. The user may choose to not download or run it. The malware maybe blocked by UAC or recent Windows Update patches, then again the samples may no longer be active in the wild therefore impossible to download accidentally. Even the largest malware sample test doesn't even account for 5% of the malware in the wild. The lifetime of most malware is shorter than one week which makes it impossible to conduct an accurate test. It is a bit strange that some members will take these sample test so serious and actually change AV even though the one that they were using was effective. The only detection rate that is important is the detection on your own system followed with common sense. I have used several free AV's over the years and I never get infections therefore testing results mean nothing at all to me.
I'm more interested in compatibility, low false positives, stability, useability, user-friendliness, etc. something that is over-looked by most members.

But the War Room allows members to compare other important differences outside of the so-called detection rate which nobody really knows besides of the small sample tests which don't even account for a fraction of available malware.

Enjoy!! :D

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
Many members take AV testing too serious, what if an AV did bad on a test does that mean it isn't good? All AV's will have hits and misses but the bottom line is malware doesn't magically appear on your system, you have control over what you download and run.

Unless a user encounters the exact same malware in a sample test and ignorantly downloads and runs it, the AV testing results really mean nothing at all. Just because a sample is missed by an AV doesn't mean it successfully infects the system. The user may choose to not download or run it. The malware maybe blocked by UAC or recent Windows Update patches, then again the samples may no longer be active in the wild therefore impossible to download accidentally. Even the largest malware sample test doesn't even account for 5% of the malware in the wild. The lifetime of most malware is shorter than one week which makes it impossible to conduct an accurate test. It is a bit strange that some members will take these sample test so serious and actually change AV even though the one that they were using was effective. The only detection rate that is important is the detection on your your own system followed with common sense. I have used several free AV's over the years and I never get infections therefore testing results mean nothing at all to me.
I'm more interested in compatibility, low false positives, stability, useability, user-friendliness, etc. something that is over-looked by most members.

But the War Room allows members to compare other important differences outside of the so-called detection rate which nobody really knows besides of the small sample tests which don't even account for a fraction of available malware.

Enjoy!! :D
Love your words! Thanks bud!

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
This conversation on av's remind me of two Bicycles,(Bicycle.A.) has a 48 sprocket & a 14teen ratchet,(Bicycle.B.) has a 20 sprocket &
a 44 ratchet & they both set out on a early morning state to state ride,with in 6 hours (Bicycle.A.) was finish took a fresh played
games with some friends, cop uh few beers later with the guys,took his girl to dinner,wine & dine,then had a great night sleep,rose at 5:00AM,went to work,then suddenly he remembered his friend who by the way rolled in 3 days later coughing & gasping.(Bicycle.B.) in raged at how (Bicycle.A.) was killing his self with laughter shout,i made it didn't i,as i was preaching to you before my point still stand a bicycle is a"cough" "cough" bicycle,i don't get the joke didn't i ("can i have some salt plz") make it.:)
My point is people need something that will help protect them now not later,& uhhh what what was the name of does kids sweeties uhhhh O now & laters yea right some of these av's adapting this not now later attitude which is not nice:)

Last edited:

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
Let NIS, as NIS, ZoneAlarm as ZoneAlarm, Qihoo as Qihoo its own..as it should be
depends on what your opinion base on your knowledge and experience...nowadays
many Av test isn't independent...not just rely to their test point...you should test
by your self..and choose them which one is suit to your necessity.
eg cool ui, simpllicity, reliable, responsive detection, and false postive factor..
low resources not hungry eating...your CPU RAM..not like me hungry to eating Burger
like cheese burger...
emot-burger.gif

randj89

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 7, 2014
This conversation on av's remind me of two Bicycles,(Bicycle.A.) has a 48 sprocket & a 14teen ratchet,(Bicycle.B.) has a 20 sprocket &
a 44 ratchet & they both set out on a early morning state to state ride,with in 6 hours (Bicycle.A.) was finish took a fresh played
games with some friends, cop uh few beers later with the guys,took his girl to dinner,wine & dine,then had a great night sleep,rose at 5:00AM,went to work,then suddenly he remembered his friend who by the way rolled in 3 days later coughing & gasping.(Bicycle.B.) in raged at how (Bicycle.A.) was killing his self with laughter shout,i made it didn't i,as i was preaching to you before my point still stand a bicycle is a"cough" "cough" bicycle,i don't get the joke didn't i ("can i have some salt plz") make it.:)
My point is people need something that will help protect them now no later,& uhhh what what was the name of does kids sweeties uhhhh O now & laters yea right some of these av's
adapting this not now later attitude which is not nice:)
hahahhah thats so random and funny hahahahah

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
My point is people need something that will help protect them now not later,& uhhh what what was the name of does kids sweeties uhhhh O now & laters yea right some of these av's adapting this not now later attitude which is not nice:)

.."cough" "cough" bicycle,i don't get the joke, didn't i ("can i have some salt plz") make it?"
I loved that part!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.