Justagirl's config

justagirl

Thread author
Apr 18, 2014
I really have no idea when it comes to computers to be honest. I just use them because I have to, but I spend an awful lot of time surfing the internet trying to find out why my laptop is so slow and trying out different scanners trying to find out why.....

Reactions: Koroke San

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

justagirl

Thread author
Apr 18, 2014
May be, you should clean up the list of your startup programs?
It's on my 'to do list' (has been for a while) but to be honest I dont know where to begin. Is there a program or something that will tell you what is running and gives you the option to stop it (I am sure I have seen one but I can't remember). One of my fears is that I will turn off something that is important and wont realise and then will wonder why nothing is working!!!

justagirl

Thread author
Apr 18, 2014
There may be malware on your system!
Excluding that,I would tone down any unecessary processes that are eating up cpu cycles!
I will look into that when I have the chance, but to be honest I would not even know where to begin. When I look at the task manager I dont have any idea of what most of the things are.

and I am absolutely certain there is SOMETHING insidious on my system, but no scanners find anything.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
It's on my 'to do list' (has been for a while) but to be honest I dont know where to begin. Is there a program or something that will tell you what is running and gives you the option to stop it (I am sure I have seen one but I can't remember). One of my fears is that I will turn off something that is important and wont realise and then will wonder why nothing is working!!!
What I use:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...dows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
http://www.tweakhound.com/tweaking-windows-7/

These guys are very good!!:)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

justagirl

Thread author
Apr 18, 2014
If it is still slow then just reinstall windows, but after you reinstall you will need to update windows through windows update, and update drivers.... It's always best to start fresh.
You could also consider getting a newer laptop/desktop.

I am trying to avoid reinstalling windows due to the time/inconvenience but i think that may be my best option (when i have the time). I have a HP Pavillion and it has the Hard Drive partitioned to include a recovery drive and HP Tools. In the past (I have re-formatted and re installed before) I have left these partitions but I am wondering if it would cause any major problems if i just got rid of the partitions and wiped the whole thing. I have all the disks etc and backup onto an external hard-drive so i wonder if there is any point to having them there. I never use HP tools. the laptop is only 2 years old.

Perezzz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 22, 2014
Is there a program or something that will tell you what is running and gives you the option to stop it (I am sure I have seen one but I can't remember). One of my fears is that I will turn off something that is important and wont realise and then will wonder why nothing is working!!!

To see and stop running processes you can use the program named Process Hacker. And the program for startup apps simply named Autoruns.
If you could send me a screenshots, I'll can tell you which processes or startup entries you shoul delete.

justagirl

Thread author
Apr 18, 2014
thanks everyone. I'm flat out with other stuff today but will get back here and do some of the things you have recommended soon. I have already added the extras to Chrome for starters (so thanks Fantasy)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
justagirl, although it looks as though I'm late to the party, I can't help but smile at all the terrific advice you've already put into motion!:) Windows 7 is a great system, and the one my wife uses most which leaves me our former slower XP desktop (also an HP) that now has Linux lubuntu & this quirky fast Windows 8 I'm using now. I've no complaints (mostly).:rolleyes: I do bring (1) simple recommendation which is CCleaner. I use it every day, it's safe, & here's where you can read about & download it. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/CCleaner.shtml If you have an external flash drive, get the portable version. It's a good habit to start, & keeping apps separate from your computer may free it up to operate faster, and we all like computers that work faster, right..??;):p:D

justagirl

Thread author
Apr 18, 2014
If you have an external flash drive, get the portable version. It's a good habit to start, & keeping apps separate from your computer may free it up to operate faster, and we all like computers that work faster, right..??;):p:D

thanks, by 'apps' you mean all the scanners etc that I have downloaded? So I would stick them on (and run them from) the external hard drive? I never thought of that, but it makes sense.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
thanks, by 'apps' you mean all the scanners etc that I have downloaded? So I would stick them on (and run them from) the external hard drive? I never thought of that, but it makes sense.
It's a nice concept, & still somewhat new & therefore FUN for me!:) I'd heard of "portable" applications before, but it wasn't until I'd actually read one of our members (on her config) share how most of her apps, including browsers, were portable & separate from her system, that the idea germinated!:rolleyes: Not everything is available as portable versions yet, but it's constantly expanding. CCleaner was my 1st portable from http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-search.php?search_term=CCleaner portable&x=17&y=12 You'll like it!;) There's a free platform available http://portableapps.com/ although not necessary, it's an option which organizes & locates certain apps nicely.
PS Good luck speeding up your system!:)

Last edited:
Reactions: justagirl

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Download CCleaner (Slim build) from this link, http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Look for the one that says "no toolbar" and click Download.
upload_2014-4-19_14-43-12.png

Install CCleaner to your PC, once done a CCleaner shortcut should appear on the desktop, right-click this and Run as Admin - just this once.

upload_2014-4-19_14-47-27.png

Navigate to the Options > Advanced > Make sure to check 'Skip User Account Control warning'

upload_2014-4-19_14-49-50.png

Then go to the Settings (in the Options), and make sure 'Add Open CCleaner option to the Recycle bin'

upload_2014-4-19_14-51-43.png

You can now Close the program.

When you next use CCleaner, you should not need to use Run as Admin nor need to approve any UAC prompts. And can easily access the program from the right-click context menu of the Recycle bin.

upload_2014-4-19_14-53-20.png

You can use CCleaner to show you any start-up items running when Windows boots up.
Tools > Startup (Windows tab)
Optionally Save to file, if you can't screenshot everything listed on-screen.
For example:
upload_2014-4-19_14-57-27.png

Enjoy!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.