k3w1 security configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3w1

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 10, 2014
My security configuration. Probably need more improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I suggest creating system images with a software such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper. Both have a free and reliable version. ;)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
A good idea to protect your browsing with uBlock or AdGuard. Assume you are using native Windows Defender to go with Norton. If you would like a light on resources addition to security, you might try adding VoodooShield for a real-time second opinion. :) Then again, you can look around and get a feel for the big players' software here and see if you would like to consider something other than Defender/Norton. Lots of ways you can go.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why are you using Norton Internet Security as an on demand scanner and not real time protection?
Please edit your config if this is not correct otherwise......
Use Norton Internet Security as your real time protection.
Add an on demand scanner(s).
Consider HTTPS Everywhere and uBlock Origin in Firefox.
CCleaner for system optimization.
Consider some type of system backup solution.
Thanks for sharing your config!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
You've listed Norton Internet Security as an on-demand scanner. If Norton is your primary antivirus currently protecting your PC then it should be listed as real-time malware protection. If you aren't using any real-time protection then I strongly propose doing so.

Suggestions:
Since you've been the victim of a malware infection in the last three months, you may wish to add a secondary real-time solution that's compatible with traditional AVs such as Voodooshield, SecureAPlus (without offline AV), Xvirus, Crystal Security, Zemana Antimalware Premium, HitmanPro.Alert, etc. (Zemana Antimalware Premium and HitmanPro.Alert require purchasing. SecureAPlus requires purchasing after a 12 month free trial. The rest listed are free.)

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Guys, actually I think he has reversed the fields and Norton is in real time and as on-demand scan: N/A.
If this is the case I recommend Zemana Antimalware as a second opinion scanner.

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since you use Norton Security as primary antivirus then the overall setup is fine.

You may add Sandboxie for precautionary measures since you can test or browse safely as it will isolate any changes done on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.