Kaspersky 2016 on Windows 10 - the most unfinished release yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
What would you suggest I install, are there others that work? My friend she's using Bitdefender and it's working great?

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I just got a refund, I spoke with tech support which is free to customers, he couldn't believe someone would read the manual. I said what's the point, and how on earth did Kaspersky 2016 get licensed for Windows 10 when it would not stop crypto ransomware, screen lockers and self defense does not work, so malware could kill it. He would not answer the first part, but did admit Kaspersky was had limited protection for Windows 10, I asked what about those who don't read the 220 page manual and are hit by crypto ransomware. So, he gave me a refund for an order I placed 3-4 weeks ago KIS 2015 then 2016. Really am mad that such a big company would release such crap to their customers.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
A patch will be released middle of August. If you are using 32 bit system for Windows 10 then you have a lot, if not all protections against online threats, it's the 64 bit that is limited. 2015 version is fine, everything works.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
why people keep buying this bloated software when you have Emsisoft or others that perform better and lighter...
Because Kaspersky has a all around better package? Their KSN is one of the most advanced cloud products currently on the market and with TAM you have maximum control over every application on your system. I have no doubt about Emsisofts protection, their superb support and extremely fast bug fixing but they are still a small company and their own signatures are quite weak, so if the Bitdefender engine doesn't catch something and it's a non standard malware, it just gets through. The BB is amazing on paper and works okay, but as soon malware is executed on the system it just can't be trusted anymore.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
We are in W10 release date + 1, I'm sure than in a few months all those complaining about Kaspersky support will be something that gone with the wind...

That's why I'm still with my W8.1 x64 & x86 in my systems... even the W10RTM, just installed You have to download about 1GB of fixes...

Reactions: Enju

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From the title above and its limitations covered, well seems Kaspersky are always doing something unfinished business which they cannot reach for such specific deadline. The problem arises as always is to gather already the market shares to Windows 10 that's why limitations are always present.

Reactions: Tony Cole

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm not too sure what to install. Spoke with the tech supervisor and he said it's 50-50, do not do any online banking, self-defense doesn't work, but the antivirus module does. However, this is only on 64bit operating systems, not 32bit. I asked him, how on earth did you gain certification for Windows 10 and he said "I cannot answer that question," a patch will be released either the 1st or 2nd week of August that will fix everything. Even Trusted Applications Mode will not increase security. Does anyone know what to install, I read on Emsisoft's blog the internet security version's firewall is dodgy??? HELP!!!

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I'm not too sure what to install. Spoke with the tech supervisor and he said it's 50-50, do not do any online banking, self-defense doesn't work, but the antivirus module does. However, this is only on 64bit operating systems, not 32bit. I asked him, how on earth did you gain certification for Windows 10 and he said "I cannot answer that question," a patch will be released either the 1st or 2nd week of August that will fix everything. Even Trusted Applications Mode will not increase security. Does anyone know what to install, I read on Emsisoft's blog the internet security version's firewall is dodgy??? HELP!!!
Better install something else while waiting for the fix. I, myself, will probably use Avast Free after I upgrade to Windows 10, then decide later on if I want to return to KIS 2016 after the fix.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Better install something else while waiting for the fix. I, myself, will probably use Avast Free after I upgrade to Windows 10, then decide later on if I want to return to KIS 2016 after the fix.
I currently have KIS 2016 installed and it's working fine (well except the missing features), performance is perfect as always. It's not like all those modules are needed for protection with Kaspersky, their signatures are still good, so as long as you don't surf like a madman and execute everything there is no need to install Avast.
@Tony Cole Kaspersky self-protection is working, the only thing that is not protected is the user interface!

Reactions: Maxxx58 and XhenEd
M

Makarboy

I am using windows defender in windows 10 xDD
There is now cloud protection

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I currently have KIS 2016 installed and it's working fine (well except the missing features), performance is perfect as always. It's not like all those modules are needed for protection with Kaspersky, their signatures are still good, so as long as you don't surf like a madman and execute everything there is no need to install Avast.
Thanks for the assurance! I'll decide on that if I'll install KIS 2016 rather than Avast Free when my laptop is upgraded to the new OS soon. I'm thinking of Avast because of NG technology. However, I still have to choose a firewall if I'll choose Avast. :D
I'll weigh my options later on considering that KIS isn't fully developed yet. Unless, the fix arrives on the day of my laptop's OS upgrade. :D

Reactions: Tony Cole and Enju

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
No, on 64bit self protection does not work, any virus will, and can disable all protection. So, you would use Kaspersky when their application control will not stop advanced crypto ransomware, nor filter most software. TAM does nothing on 64bit OS, as he explained 32bit is fine. Just don't do online banking, visit dodgy websites and download new software, then you may be okay, it's 50-50.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
No, on 64bit self protection does not work, any virus will, and can disable all protection. So, you would use Kaspersky when their application control will not stop advanced crypto ransomware, nor filter most software. TAM does nothing on 64bit OS, as he explained 32bit is fine. Just don't do online banking, visit dodgy websites and download new software, then you may be okay, it's 50-50.
TAM does work on x64 it only has some problems with Metro apps and only the user interface doesn't have any self protection
ufo9YIX.png
... seems like the Kaspersky support has some misunderstandings with their own software.

Reactions: XhenEd

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Give them a call Tel. +44 (0)203 549 3499 he also asked why did I install software that was only meant for the USA.

Reactions: XhenEd

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
My mate uses Kaspersky and upgraded to 2016 version. Yesterday we were both bored so he called Kasperky tech to ask whether it's safe to use. First things first, a patch for 64bit Windows 10 will be released 1st September 2015. It was really odd, we got his life story, but until we pointed him to the pdf link on this forum he argued Kaspersky had not compromised security for Windows 10 users. He actually made us give him the link, he viewed and he said, they are limitations and the product will then we pointed him to the pdf link page 112, then said they are only limitations – then stated you cannot change, no other security company has Windows 10 certification. He kindly sent me this article:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting Kaspersky Lab Technical Support.
The following request was registered:
ID INC*************

Limitations with Windows 10.

http://support.kaspersky.com/11736

To reply to this email, blah, blah, and more blah.

So that’s it friends, only one month, and we are safe.

Reactions: XhenEd and Maxxx58
S

SkyJP

Although the 2016 version has more limitations in Windows 10 than 2015, there are still some limitations in the 2015 version which have been documented in the user guides (at p112 onwards).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.