Kaspersky 2016 on Windows 10 - the most unfinished release yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
That's the funny part, the tech guy argued with me there were no such isses, he even made me give the url to he could see. When he did, he said these are only limitations on 64bit systems and a patch will be released on 1st September 2015, he did state it could change, but that is what the big guns have told them. Then he stated you have to stay with Kaspersky as no other av company has Windows 10 certification.

Bitgod

Sep 2, 2015
I've had problems with KAV2016 and Windows 10. My web browsing is a heck of a lot slower. If I have KAV not autorun and reboot, web browsing is a lot faster. I've been working with support, I've pretty hit my end as far as what can be tried.

So today I installed a clean copy of Win10 on another drive and KAV2016, tested, same issue. Web pages take a lot longer to load with KAV2016 running. Uninstalled it and running a trial version of Bitdefender at the moment, speeds are fine.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Touch-wood, I've had not problems, I did remove it for brief period, and tried ESET, Norton and avast! on my old laptop, just didn't like what I found. Compared with Kaspersky they have limited advanced settings. Bitdefender is okay, but I think (looking through the various tabs) that apart from active virus control, antivirus and HIPs that's all that is on offer, the firewall is seriously under par and anti-spam I could never get to work, but I suppose each to their own.

But, so-far-so good, just a wait the patch to beef-up the security, but I have other software (except anti-exploit) as there is a bug, which is preventing all web browsers and Microsoft Office from loading.

S

SkyJP

2 weeks revival post, but is there any progress on the limitations in windows 10? I read that the patch was supposed to come out in early September...

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
They are beta testing MR1, but no notes on what that fixes. I would like to know, as I'd install it. As I had a trial of Kaspersky business select I've been able to sign up for x 6 of their webinars first ones "The Internet of Things & How I Hacked My Home".

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
MR -> Maintenance Releases (new builds/branches), every MR may receive patches :) patches usually fix bugs.

With MR may come new features and also bug fixing and stability in general.

Now We have KIS/KAV/KTS2016MR0 with patch A, coming soon patch B (still in beta testing period).

But 2016MR1 beta testing just started too :)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Ah I see - I was using Kaspersky (well for 3-4yrs) Windows 10 put an end to that. Good product, but feel very let down, and would have like to have been informed prior to installing a new OS.

What does this mean from Kaspersky beta page:

In this topic we accept bugs only if Default Deny mode is disabled

I thought Kaspersky used default deny?

Like you profile name, my friends little brother is called Harlan.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If You are talking about Application Control rules, by default Kaspersky comes in "Select trust group automatically" when it has to choose a trusted group for unknown applications, a combination of several criteria is applied:Trusting digitally signed applications, heuristic, white listing and KSN (cloud).

But making some tweaks You can easily get stronger settings, for example I have these ones:

Sin_t_tulo.png

Also I have TAM (Trusted Application Mode) enabled.

About "harlan"... this is not my real name only a nick name ;) taken from an Isaac Asimov novel (The End of Eternity - Andrew Harlan)

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
So as it currently is, is Kaspersky safe to use on Windows 10, what is mean by that for the average user are they safe against todays threats?

Would the system load okay under "change trust group for applications started before startup of Kaspersky"?

Ah, I don't read, well I do, but only for revision and other things medical. I think university and exams put an end to novels.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Well, 2016MR0a has restrictions that will be erased soon when Patch B is released, 2016MR1 will come final about December and of course will come with any restriction in W10.

I'm not having any issue in load with that setting until now...

I must to admit that now I read less than before, not much time, but in holidays I try to read some sci-fi book :)

Reactions: XhenEd

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Enju,

thank you very much for highlighting Kis uncompatibilities with Win 10!!!:):)

I also thought since they say the latest version is for win 10 that it would be 100% compatible and working...Kaspersky Personal & Family Security Software
I just tested the customer support.
They asked me if I have a valid key or if my license is due for renewal.
I confirmed it s due for renewal and that I have a new key ready to be used.
I asked again if the 16.0.0. 614a version is fully compatible with win 10.
They said to uninstall the older version and to install the new one available at Kaspersky Personal & Family Security Software
I said again I already have the last version and asked again if it's fully compatible with win 10.
Jerome said "it will work".
Then I cut&paste the infos available at http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-s...curity/internet-security/?bid=hp_B2Clinks_kis, under system requirement (not on the main page!!!:mad::mad::mad:), and he said I have to ask the Kis home support people at Kaspersky Personal & Family Security Software.
He didn't like the post of **Some product features might work on 32-bit operating systems only
***Product functionality may be limited or partially unavailable and my chat session was immediately closed!

here the official page at Kis
Limitations in Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 after upgrade to Windows 10
In my opinion, way too many features are not available to not highlight it on the main page and users should not pay the full license price for a product that provides only maybe 50% of his features.
Other AV did better, e.g. Emsisoft provided more infos and extended the license time for 1 month (you just need to ask).:)

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Although they don't really advertise their products' limitations on Windows 10 on their main page, at the least I admire Kaspersky team for their transparency by providing that document listing the limitations.

Reactions: Nightwalker
H

hjlbx

Patch C released 19th October 2015 still does not fix all limitations.

As long as Kaspersky does not develop native 64-bit version, it can never fully protect 64-bit systems = some features will never function correctly... if at all.

That would mean abandoning kernel hooking - which Kaspersky will never do. And they won't violate Patch Guard. Catch22, So you're left with partial protection...

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
As long as Kaspersky does not develop native 64-bit version, it can never fully protect 64-bit systems = some features will never function correctly... if at all.

That would mean abandoning kernel hooking - which Kaspersky will never do. And they won't violate Patch Guard. Catch22, So you're left with partial protection...
The thing to question is if the "partial protection" is good enough to protect the user. If it is, then there isn't much to worry.

Reactions: harlan4096

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
No, that's just stupid, okay, but what happens to 'that' poor user when the partial protection fails, it manages to hack their bank account i.e., the attack on TalkTalk just shows what happens when companies do not encrypt your data, then the watchdog asks what does the end user do, well - I use a product that yeah 95% time works fine. I'm a doctor, and accept nothing is, and never will be 100%, but we put measures in place to minimise the risks as much as possible. Would you accept it if I said 95% time I operate okay, the rest, well is a different kettle of fish. The problem is, the majority of users install an antivirus and update, that's it - they never hear, or read in depth the 200 odd page manual, so Kaspersky never get's asked the question(s) me.

The amazing forum from Umbra, cruelsister, hjlbx and the amazing Cats and all the amazing other member (sorry couldn't remember all the names) has/have shown me the try side of protection and malware, and Kaspersky (which I've used for yrs) is crap!

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
No, that's just stupid, okay, but what happens to 'that' poor user when the partial protection fails, it manages to hack their bank account i.e., the attack on TalkTalk just shows what happens when companies do not encrypt your data, then the watchdog asks what does the end user do, well -
And that's why I established "if"
If the protection is not good enough for the user, then that's when the problem arises.

Also I never claim that they shouldn't correct this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.