Advice Request Kaspersky and NordVPN

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
I am considering switching to Kaspersky (KIS) but am wondering if there are any issues using it with NordVPN?

Last edited:

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
You dont need a vpn unless youre planning to go to the deep web or really shady websites, vpn's only hide your activity from your ISP and negates the effects of ip grabbers, nothing else nordvpn also got hacked recently, so no vpn is safe right now anyways.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
I don't believe there any any problems as when i used them, did not give any problem. But it is best if you download their trials and see if there any issues.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
You probably wont find any issues as such but you will probability experience some speed slowdown with any VPN with KIS/KAV - Depending on your initial speed this may or may not be an issue - Some VPN's slow your speed down anyway slightly but for me on more than one PC it's the main issue for me with KIS - I find the issue does not arise with some other AV's such as Norton, Emsisoft, ESET etc - Worth checking if you have this problem with a trial, & if so you may be able to deal with it - As above give it a free trial?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You dont need a vpn unless youre planning to go to the deep web or really shady websites, vpn's only hide your activity from your ISP and negates the effects of ip grabbers, nothing else nordvpn also got hacked recently, so no vpn is safe right now anyways.
I'm sorry, but I find this information very misleading. A VPN is very useful, even if you're not doing "illegal stuff" in the Dark/Deep Web. VPN's most important advantage is privacy. It creates a secure tunnel between you and the internet, meaning you can hide all your activity when you're in a public network or somebody else's network. For example, if you want to online bank, chat with friends, social media, while you're in the airport using free Wi-Fi, VPN is extremely important to provide anonimity and avoid data stealing/spying. A secure connection doesn't only hide your activity from ISP, but from friends, network owners, cybercriminals, service providers, it unlocks websites and geo-restricted sites. So, no, a VPN isn't just for "going into the Deep Web". And as a matter of fact, NordVPN itself wasn't hacked, the datacenter where their virtual server was mounted was. But in this case, believing they were affected or not is up to everybody.

CypherZero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2017
Yes, if you're going to connect to the internet via public wifi (coffee shops, airports, hotels, etc), you want to use a VPN. Plain and simple. There's the risk of man in the middle attacks via spoofed wifi spots, connecting to a legitimate network that's been compromised due to bad security practices, etc. A VPN encrypts your connection to help protect you so even if you inadvertently connect to a compromised network your passwords aren't stolen. No protection may be 100% but you want to do what you can, right?

Anyways, thanks to "Robbie, Umbra and others for their comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoboMan

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.