Kaspersky Application Manager (Similar Software?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I like the feature Kaspersky has that allows you to see installed programs and trusted status. Unfortunately, I prefer ESET instead of Kapsersky for my AV. I don't think ESET has a good application manager (a way to view installed .exe, .dll, ...etc. in one list and their reputation status). Is there another program out there that can do a similar job?

Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kas...rnet-security-2015-vs-bitdefender.php;550;398

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Look great, but unfortunately doesn't work on Windows 8.1.

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Only Kaspersky and Comodo , have " Detailed Settings " for all security features ( FW , App. control , system watcher ....etc )

I forget Online armor FW pro.

Last edited:

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Ya. I set compatibility to Windows 7 and I was able to install but it still didn't work. I also had to set the 'uninstaller' to 'Windows 7' to get it to uninstall. It was a mess.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
System Requirements:
Windows 7 / Vista / XP SP2/ Windows 8, 152 MB RAM / 400 MB space

Release Details:
Release Date: November 3, 2014, Update: Latest

Not sure where you got those system specs, but here is what the link above says:

System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows XP/Vista/7/Server 2003/Server2008 – 32 bit and 64 bit

H

hjlbx

I like the feature Kaspersky has that allows you to see installed programs and trusted status. Unfortunately, I prefer ESET instead of Kapsersky for my AV. I don't think ESET has a good application manager (a way to view installed .exe, .dll, ...etc. in one list and their reputation status). Is there another program out there that can do a similar job?

I have extensive experience with Kaspersky. Trusted Application Control, while useful, is problematic. It will allow adware to be installed because there is a good bit of adware in the Kaspersky Security Network - until an application is rated as a Potentially Unwanted Application. This may be a short time, or it take a long time.

ESET, in Automatic Mode, creates rules based upon a file's reputation - just like Kaspersky. However, it manages to screen adware\riskware better. But, it doesn't present rules in the way Kaspersky does.

Emsisoft Internet Security comes very close to replicating the way Kaspersky presents application rules to the user. You may want to search for some EIS Application Rules screenshots. The user can apply restrictions to almost the same extent to apps or "Allow" completely. EIS is a very solid, respectable alternative that is highly regarded and worth a "look-see."

Hope this tidbit helps...

Reactions: hamo

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I have extensive experience with Kaspersky. Trusted Application Control, while useful, is problematic. It will allow adware to be installed because there is a good bit of adware in the Kaspersky Security Network - until an application is rated as a Potentially Unwanted Application. This may be a short time, or it take a long time.

ESET, in Automatic Mode, creates rules based upon a file's reputation - just like Kaspersky. However, it manages to screen adware\riskware better. But, it doesn't present rules in the way Kaspersky does.

Emsisoft Internet Security comes very close to replicating the way Kaspersky presents application rules to the user. You may want to search for some EIS Application Rules screenshots. The user can apply restrictions to almost the same extent to apps or "Allow" completely. EIS is a very solid, respectable alternative that is highly regarded and worth a "look-see."

Thanks. I didn't realize EIS had such a feature. I'm trying it now and like it.

motox781

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015

Have you figured out a way to increase protection against PUP with TAM enabled?

H

hjlbx

Thanks. I didn't realize EIS had such a feature. I'm trying it now and like it.

The Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network (AMN) is integrated into the Behavior Blocker; when the Behavior Blocker detects suspicious behavior - typically during an installation or during application usage - it will query the Anti-Malware Network.

File Reputations:

A. Known_Good (Creates "Allow All" or "Custom" rule for the app).
B. Known_Bad (immediately a notification fires and the file will be auto-quarantined at default settings).
C. Unknown (EIS allows the install, but it is continually monitored by the Behavior Blocker).

The whole point of the Anti-Malware Network is the creation of rules - just like Kaspersky.

The difference is, Kaspersky will assign little-known to Low and High Restricted zones with limited resource access rights.

Emsisoft is essentially "Allow" or "Block." For the little-known apps, the Behavior Blocker continually monitors.

If an app is not in the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network, in my experience, that is not all that frequent during typical use (if you test hundreds of adware\riskware\malware samples on a regular basis, then yes, it is more common (maybe 5 out of 100 samples) since none of the anti-virus file reputation databases can keep up with creation of new malicious apps).

These are just my experiences...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.