Battle Kaspersky AV 2012 vs ESET AV 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Could anyone point out the pros and cons for Kaspersky AV 2012 and Eset AV 5?

I'm not really interested in the Internet Securities and most reviews fall on the Internet Securities.

What I am looking for are the following:

Ram usage
Full system scan time
Detection Rate
Performance impact on win7 64 bit with over 4GB ram
User usage

(Note that I am aware of the default HIPS settings for Eset so please consider using Learning mode instead of the default Automatic/Rules setup)

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
I chose Kaspersky Antivirus.
because,
* In features: KAV has many features, rather than ESET NOD32.
* The level of detection: KAV higher detection rate than ESET NOD32.
* In Memory usage: KAV lower ram usage, rather than ESET NOD32.
* For the GUI: I like KAV than ESET NOD32 GUI.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I choose Kaspersky because I think that it has alot more features than ESET is easier to navigate through the settings unlike ESET.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
For the features and higher detection rate in Kaspersky Antivirus, I find it to be a better choice. The price of NOD32 is lower than that of Kaspersky by 3$, which is a small difference (the price for 1 PC protection for a duration of 1 year).

ranget

Dec 8, 2011
Ram usage kaspersky uses more but not much more
Full system scan time kaspersky take longer time
Detection Rate kaspersky detection is better
Performance impact on win7 64 bit with over 4GB ram both don't impact much
Kaspersky is more advanced it gives more settings and control over your machine

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes agreed with Valentin pic kis. But if you are planning on an av+firewall combo choose nod32 as it plays well with most good firewalls like OA and Zonealarm. While kav only works with private firewall.

P

Plexx

Thread author
I have tried both on 2 identical virtual images of my main system.
Performance on idle sure KAV was lower than ESET but then full system scan and I saw KAV pushing my system quite a bit compared to ESET.

checked each one's of their tools and I actually don't need much of the fancy tools from Kaspersky.

Eset AV tho it has lower detection ratio did ok on a few tests I did.

If we look at Internet Security then Kaspersky would for sure have more features compared to ESS but in just AV I am still not sure. I have been a user of ESET since 2.7 version though I then stopped went to Avast and then moved to CIS.

so far my own tests covered the following answers. I would like any user to have input as it is crucial for the fact if I am to renew my ESET license or buy a Kaspersky license:

Tests conducted on VMware, OS Win 7 SP1 64 bit fully updated. Allocated Ram for VMware 3GB.

Ram usage - On idle ESET has Higher usage, however on full system scan Kaspersky increased CPU and Ram considerably.

Full system scan time - 180GB of HDD ESET was faster by a bit.

Detection Rate - on 18 links of Malware from MDL (random ones that were new), KAV detected 16, ESET detected 15. As for actual malware files, Detection Rate of Kaspersky on a total of 356 files, it was 90% rounded up while ESET was 87% rounded up.

User usage - KAV more customizable while ESET more friendly in a way. Game mode in ESET is handy for a gamer like me. KAV did several times lag me with the updates while I was playing a mmorpg.

So as you can see above, both ESET and KAV have their strong and weak points yet I am unable to decide. :(

Is there any Tests I can do with KAV and ESET AV? PS: ESET HIPS was disabled at time of the above malware/url tests.

sixth

Jan 20, 2012
I prefer Eset due to ease of use. Although I like both virus scanners the hosting for the definition updates on Kaspersky are too slow for my liking. Not sure if Kaspersky could do this but you can execute concurrent scanning on Eset (basically scan different drives at the same time). In addition to that, the directory tree in Kaspersky drives me nuts. Both are good in regards to virus detection, but Eset is just easier to use IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.