Advice Request Kaspersky Free - Pro's & Con's (2018)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
With respect to the Free Antivirus of the Year 2018 competition, I'm starting a thread series where users of the various products will be joining together to state the Pro's and Con's of each antivirus software and why they think it was a contender or not for the Free Antivirus of the Year 2018.

In this thread we'll talk about the Pro's and Con's you have found about Kaspersky Free Antivirus.
The first post will be updated by me [or the mods] with what user's think is good and bad about the product, so an informed decision can be made for newcomers.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Pros

- nice GUI
- very good detection
- important settings are already in place
- light on system resources

Cons

- web extension doesn't seem to work well with Chrome (many sites are not flagged with the green check, maybe a bug)
- the first complete scan is very long on my system, about 3 hours, but subsequent ones are faster
- updates installation is slow, sometimes it stops at 24% for example, for about ten minutes.

Cons are not very relevant for me and I think it is the best free AV, in my humble opinion.

L

Local Host

Pros
  • Same signatures and Cloud from paid products.
  • Extremely light on resources.
  • Strong Behaviour Blocker.
  • Always kept update-to-date and ready for new Windows 10 Feature Updates.
  • Privacy Policy (complies with GDPR).
Cons
  • Advanced Configuration is locked-out (we stuck with Minimal, Optimal and Maximum Security presets).
  • Bundles with Kaspersky VPN (with no option to opt-out, during install).

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Pros
  • Same signatures and Cloud from paid products.
  • Extremely light on resources.
  • Strong Behaviour Blocker.
  • Always kept update-to-date and ready for new Windows 10 Feature Updates.
  • Privacy Policy (complies with GDPR).
Cons
  • Advanced Configuration is locked-out (we stuck with Minimal, Optimal and Maximum Security presets).
  • Bundles with Kaspersky VPN (with no option to opt-out, during install).
VPN is not a CON, its a good thing!

I am sorry to say , actually NOT in this case....it's a rebrand of hotspotshield and this means a huge privacy risk when it comes to harvesting your data!!!

Please tell us who wants to audit any data associated with you that HotSpotShield might log\retain ?

Worrying about VPN logs... that's pretty hilarious when you consider that Kaspersky itself can uniquely identify your system - just like any other software can. And it doesn't matter if you're using a VPN or your ISP assigned address.

VPN is not a CON, its a good thing!

Unless you are doing sensitive stuff online, a VPN isn't necessary. Web surfing is not sensitive and there isn't anything to protect.

The everyday use of VPNs is almost entirely a tinfoil hat movement.

E

Eddie Morra

It also goes without saying that if you're using VPN to escape your ISP because you are fearing on spying then you're doing it wrong because passing all the data to another company who may even be situated in and store the data overseas is just stupid because you'll be better protected with privacy regulations with the ISP in your own country most of the time anyway (at-least for U.S).

Don't use an ISP you don't trust, don't try and use VPN as a way to do illegal activities under a false sense of security and don't use a VPN you don't trust.

Also, you already have SSL which is additional encryption. Use HTTPS services, stay away from HTTP as much as possible, and then you're better protected on the network in general anyway (sure destination IPs will be available but pretty much the rest will be encrypted).

Reactions: oldschool

It also goes without saying that if you're using VPN to escape your ISP because you are fearing on spying then you're doing it wrong because passing all the data to another company who may even be situated in and store the data overseas is just stupid because you'll be better protected with privacy regulations with the ISP in your own country most of the time anyway (at-least for U.S).

Don't use an ISP you don't trust, don't try and use VPN as a way to do illegal activities under a false sense of security and don't use a VPN you don't trust.

Also, you already have SSL which is additional encryption. Use HTTPS services, stay away from HTTP as much as possible, and then you're better protected on the network in general anyway (sure destination IPs will be available but pretty much the rest will be encrypted).

All-time VPN use is a waste of device resources for the vast majority of people. Not to mention that it breaks some network device protections.

Here in the U.S. there are ongoing television commercials for various VPNs just fanning the flames of fear by explaining only a small sliver of VPNs - while omitting the 98 % of infos that would make just about any consumer walk-away.

With the one-sided mis-information campaigns, the local residents are whipped-up into a frenzy of fear and run to their PCs to sign-up.

Then they call people like me with "I got VPN. I don't' have networking now. Please hurry. Come fix it."

Reactions: Eddie Morra

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Dont want to be off topic but if u want settings u can use kaspersky cloud free. its the same as the free one, but with full settings enabled.
And what are the advantages and disadvantages to Kaspersky Security Cloud free versus KFA?
If this has been discussed somewhere, please refer me to the thread.

E

Eddie Morra

And what are the advantages and disadvantages to Kaspersky Security Cloud free versus KFA?
I recall hearing that KSC can be tweaked more for free compared to KFA which is less flexible. I also recall hearing that KSC has more protection components than KFA, and since KSC is more cloud-directed, chances are it is going to be lighter on local system resources and a tad heavier on network resources in comparison to KFA.

@harlan4096 will be able to confirm if I am right/correct any wrong. ;p

Tbh Harlan4096 could be hired as customer support for Kaspersky... he'd probably do a smashing job. He's pretty much the go to person for Kaspersky inquiries.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When your internet connection is flaky, does that kill KSC protection?

Reactions: oldschool

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I think We have already discussed here, the protection of KSC Free 2019 is identical compared to KFA2019 or KIS/KTS2019, but without Application Control + FireWall + Anti-Banner + AntiSpam, and other minor modules... the word "cloud" does not mean it won't work without connection but extra cloud management:
  • Why is ‘cloud’ used in the name of the service if it’s installed on a device?
    We added the word ‘cloud’ to the service name because we wanted to emphasize that it’s not tied to a specific device, but instead works as a single service – even if it’s installed on multiple devices. This is our first step towards creating protection “‘beyond” the device – security that considers your online habits, choices and preferences to protect you round the clock. Also, some of the data required for the service to work is sourced from Kaspersky Lab’s cloud. This includes a security assessment of the Wi-Fi network you about to connect to, or the category of website you are about to open – both which are required to launch secure VPN – or a description of your interests, so the service can provide you with relevant security news and tips.
Settings on Scan, Additional and Performance are the same, and it has some extra features but most of them in paid version:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I think We have already discussed here, the protection of KSC Free 2019 is identical compared to KFA2019 or KIS/KTS2019, but without Application Control + FireWall + Anti-Banner + AntiSpam, and other minor modules... the word "cloud" does not mean it won't work without connection but extra cloud management:

Settings on Scan, Additional and Performance are the same, and it has some extra features but most of them in paid version:

I still wonder why they keep 2 version of their free offering?
Asked the following on twitter:
@kl_support Is there an overview with the differences between Kaspersky Free and Kaspersky Security Cloud Free? Which offers the best protection for home users?
Will report when and if they answer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.