Advice Request Kaspersky Free - Pro's & Con's (2018)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
KFA is free to use by anyone, basically install and forget, but with locked settings.
KSC requires an account (sometimes hard to get) and as a bonus, settings are unlocked. Plus cloud = more telemetry, better for them.

I believe, they are testing, which version people like the most and then, they will kill the other one. People generally dislike cloud and registering.

L

Local Host

This topic is about KFA, but people keep talking about KSC and how it offers customisation like I didn't know already (ones that quoted me).

KSC doesn't offer anything in terms of Security compared to KFA, outside the fact you have access to advanced settings (casual users shouldn't be messing with those settings in the first place).

We also already discussed how KSC still has major bugs on Windows 10, compared to KFA, so it's pretty much a BETA product.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
No more issues here for me with the "beta" KSC on the "beta" October release of Win 10, but I get your point.
There is I think a little bit more security in KSC like the automatic scan for insecure Windows settings and possibly better PUP recognition.
Never got a popup from KFA when installing software but I got one from KSC.

This topic is about KFA, but people keep talking about KSC and how it offers customisation like I didn't know already (ones that quoted me).

KSC doesn't offer anything in terms of Security compared to KFA, outside the fact you have access to advanced settings (casual users shouldn't be messing with those settings in the first place).

We also already discussed how KSC still has major bugs on Windows 10, compared to KFA, so it's pretty much a BETA product.

KSC isn't a beta product. It's been officially released by Kaspersky. It has its own dedicated and active sales.

Please don't call it a beta when Kasperksy, the company, doesn't officially consider it a beta.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I still wonder why they keep 2 version of their free offering?
Asked the following on twitter:
Will report when and if they answer.
I have an answer, but not sure if it helps:
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free provides users with remote monitoring and management features that are not supported in Kaspersky Free Antivirus. The application includes protection against network attacks, activity monitoring, IM antivirus, Mail antivirus. Kaspersky Security Cloud Free includes anti-virus protection, secure connection feature, and password manager. The key difference is the new remote management. You can log in to your account and manage all connected devices. The user has the ability to run a full or quick scan, run database updates and manage components. You get information about the current status, for example, that the product has been updated and that no threats have been detected. Kaspersky Security Cloud Free is also available for Android and iOS, so protection of mobile devices can be managed remotely from the cloud console.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
One thing I noticed is that in order to exclude a website from scanning, I had to add it as a trusted URL in the web antivirus settings. I could do that in the free version of security cloud system but not in the free version of the antivirus.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.