Battle Kaspersky internet security vs Eset smart security

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21043

Both Kaspersky Internet Security and ESET Smart Security are great products. However, they have different strengths.

I personally believe when it comes down to signature-based/gen/heuristic detection, ESET is the winner. However, in terms of prevention based protection I would say that Kaspersky takes the lead.

I think the ESET Web Protection is great.

If you configure the ESET HIPS (Host Instrusion Prevention System) it will perform significantly better.

I suggest you try out both and see which one you personally prefer.

You can use either product and will be safe.

Cheers. ;)

I partially agree with @Tony Cole and @hjlbx. However, I do believe that ESET is a good choice.
(see their replies below)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I say without-a-doubt Kaspersky 2015. I have tried out Eset in the past and found it bland and boring. People say "well that's just the UI" but most people go eye catching software, well I do. In terms of protection, unless you enable the HIP's feature within Eset I don't think it offers much in the way of protection.

However, if you look at Kaspersky, it is an entirely different ball game, it has features which include file anti-virus, mail anti-virus, system watcher and much, much more. The most powerful aspect of Kaspersky is their application control, set this at untrusted and nothing will get through. Yes, it may block legitimate software, but you can move the software to the trusted category, I would rather that occur than get infected by some ransomware.

Reactions: Sasa and yongsua
H

hjlbx

If I had a 32-bit system, then Kaspersky would be my choice. On x64, Kaspersky provides best protection only with Trusted Application Mode enabled. However, there is a glitch with its Application Control... I am not sure if it is system specific or a problem with the software itself.

In any case, if you de-select both "Trust digitally signed applications" and "Load application rules from Kaspersky Security Network", Application Control might move a bunch of legitimate programs from the Trusted to Untrusted zones. The issue was reproducible on my W8.1 AMD system.

You aren't going to know if this will happen on your specific system until you try it. That's all anyone can do.

Kaspersky slowed-down system start-up\restart on my system more so than ESET.

Kaspersky has more features - as it is intended to be the "complete" package.

Kaspersky's web protection is better in my experience.

ESET is more stable and less prone to quirky problems in my experience. (Huge !!)

With skilled use either ESET or Kaspersky will protect a system under typical use.

Reactions: yongsua

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
no doubt, 2015 = ESET 8, better updates, incredible fast to add new 0 day, light and the best option ;)

an happy ESET user;)

Reactions: yongsua

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
ESET.

Lightweight
Best protection.
Agreed with the comment above that it GUI are really outdated and old, but it might have something to do with the lightweight impact of the software.
Really stable software.
Fall in love with it, as it didnt requires to many ram.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Both are great. ESET is lighter. I never encountered so little difference in speed and responsiveness of the system, with having ESET Smart Security installed and having no AV or protection suite at all (Webroot also).
I don't care about the GUI, it's not ugly, and I am not using it to watch it's GUI. It serves me to protect me. That's it.
Most malware today will come from the web (droppers,exploits) and infected USB drives. ESET has great Web Protection modules, and the best adware detection capabilities.
I like to have an AV on my system and not to notice it's presence. ESET gives me just that, and protected me for several years now

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Performance: Its still a consistent where ESET is far on good result compare to Kaspersky.
Protection: If generally wanted straight ahead protection where no need configure much then go to ESET (except HIPS if wanted though), Kaspersky can do well on that case but its default configuration came on Application Control Privilege which its the main backbone feature that incorporates heuristic analyzer and power of a user to place as untrusted and prevent execute/read.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I have no problems running Kaspersky, but then I have 42GB RAM. I was concerned about what I had/have heard here on the forum concerning Kaspersky and x64 bit systems, so I decided to contact tech support in the UK (as I was concerned) I spoke with a tech guy called Dan (who was excellent, trying very hard to explain all this IT stuff.) He explained that the protection offered by all Kaspersky products is the same for both x32 and x64 bit operating systems. He then went on to state that Kaspersky would not offer less protection to a paying customer as, if it were true users would be more vulnerable to the most severe infections, which in turn would lose them a large amount of revenue and custom. Kaspersky’s job is to protect consumers from online threats and with new/newer computers (over 90%) use an x64 bit OS.

Dan explained ‘Trusted Applications Mode' is only supposed to be used on a fresh, new computer which you know is 100% malware free. If, after the scan you get (even one) piece of software shown up as unknown, Kaspersky states you must not enable ‘Trusted Applications Mode.’

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
The limitations are in regards as to what actions application control (HIPS) can monitor. This however doesn't limit the power of application control because, properly configured, it won't allow malware to run at all, so the limitations won't come into play either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.