Eset Internet Security ver. 14
In-depth Comparison

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
The idea came to analyze the test results of antivirus laboratories AV-test and AV-Comparatives in order to see which antiviruses are the leaders today. And after analyzing the results of 2020, it is clear that the ESET IS has clearly improved in protection and receives a rating of three stars in different categories and almost the maximum in the AV-test. Kaspersky IS is also still at the top. Which one would you prefer?

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
On paper I still think Kaspersky is the better all-around choice for protection. It has a IPS for detecting network exploits, decent default rules for System Watcher, it has strong signatures, strong cloud production, and a truly dynamic behavior blocker. It's also almost impossible to get Kaspersky's protection unless you use either Kaspersky or ZoneAlarm products.

Meanwhile ESET's got excellent signatures (probably the best in the industry) but they license out their detections to a lot of parties including Google Safe Browsing, so in a a lot of ways most of the files you download are probably already screened by ESET or can be looked up in VirusTotal to get equivalent results.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
EIS it's a simple and lightweight security suite, a very good choice if you want to squash the maximum performance of your machine without compromising security, imo KIS it's a bloated product and has too many non-security related features.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I vote Kaspersky, as it has better and more thorough removal, as well as better protection all around. The Application Control module is more intelligent implementation of HIPS and far easier to use, as by default it’s already well configured and it’s easy to add protected folders/resources which will then be inaccessible to apps with poor reputation.
If you spend some time tweaking it, it can be even more effective.
System Watcher is also another reason to choose Kaspersky as it’s really effective.

As an overall, Kaspersky provides better user experience than ESET. Performance-wise they are really close.

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
between these two i`d go with kaspersky anytime. sure, eset is good, but kaspersky beats eset at everything, anytime.
this is what makes the difference between kaspersky and the other major league players:
Untitled.png

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Another good thing about ESET it's its uninstaller, it removes everything, no leftovers left, no questions asked and no additional system-breaking tools required unlike Kaspersky.
Things must have changed,used to be(2 years go apx when I had Eset) I could only remove it using there uninstaller and in safe mode,true Kaspersky used to need KAV to remove but lately I haven't needed it

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I have eset on my (old) notebook and KIS on my PC.

ESET is exceptionally light, and that's why i keep it in my notebook. It also has an excellent protection as you said.

but,

KIS is easier to use. Much more intuitive. And the firewall rules are easier to set. KIS is almost as light as ESET too. Add to that, KIS has consistently got the best results in reviews and here in malwarehub. The only problem concerns about privacy, as Kaspersky has been envolved in some discussions around that.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I have eset on my (old) notebook and KIS on my PC.

ESET is exceptionally light, and that's why i keep it in my notebook. It also has an excellent protection as you said.

but,

KIS is easier to use. Much more intuitive. And the firewall rules are easier to set. KIS is almost as light as ESET too. Add to that, KIS has consistently got the best results in reviews and here in malwarehub. The only problem concerns about privacy, as Kaspersky has been envolved in some discussions around that.
if you actually care about privacy windows isn't for you at least as a main system with personal information
anyway a lot of av software don't respects privacy they are built around user insight /data
av for privacy is probably something like calm av or dark net on promise endpoint security
anyway about eset yes it is slightly lighter and has less false positives but lacks on security by default (eset is really good with regards to security but Kaspersky is just better)
any way you can configure ESET to act as a default deny and get best of both words just don't recommend it to new users as they will have a hard time getting used to default deny security posture

Zorro

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I installed Eset and I can say that compared to Kaspersky, it is clearly lighter in terms of the load on the system. As for the protection, it seems to be not bad, the main functionality is quite satisfactory, there is nothing superfluous. Kaspersky has more features and a good behavioral blocker. In Eset, the proactivity is rather weak. But I've written a few rules in hips, and that's enough for now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.