Advice Request Kaspersky is the most awarded antivirus. Do you like it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What is your opinion of kaspersky products?

• Positive

Votes: 157 86.3%
  • Negative

Votes: 25 13.7%

• Total voters

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Honestly I do not use VPN at all because I do not need it so I do not have this type of problem.

Reactions: upnorth

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Honestly I do not use VPN at all because I do not need it so I do not have this type of problem.
Well the potential issue will never affect you then & I totally respect your feelings on this - I like VPN's whether they are helpful or not but if I'm using one I prefer not to be slowed down, I suspect most people wont be bothered if they have an issue anyway, it just that I am somewhat esp. when there are solutions - Though this isn't about VPN's it was just an issue I personally have with KIS that's all.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I also do not like to be slowed down and each VPN slows down in some way.
I used Winscribe for some time, it blocked my post and that's why I dumped it, among other things.

Reactions: Cortex

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
and who are you to say that windows defender is "perfect" and better than any paid antivirus?
I never said that. But credentials wise I've worked for Microsoft, IBM and many other over the last 30 years. I never said WD was better I said it's getting to or we're at the point where third party security isn't a requirement anymore it's a choice because MS have really tightened things up on Windows 10.

Next time you reply to one of my comments I'd appreciate it if you showed respect to both myself and others and not be disrespectful by saying 'And who are you'

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
respect is earned, do you want respect? win it I only think based on what you say, and that you have to understand.
I couldn't care less if you respect me, You made a comment stating I said WD was perfect could you please point me to where I said WD was perfect?

As I said - I've worked and continue to work for some of the biggest names in tech so I don't care if some random person on a forum I've been a member of for years respectts me or not. But, your attitude is terrible. MalwareTips is a great forums and it's attitudes like yours that create tension.

Again - Where did I was WD was perfect?

ultramagnetik

Jan 4, 2019
It broke my bootloader once. That's all I have to say. If an AV is in my way, I uninstall. I'm not bending myself backwards to work around the AV.
Thanks for your post.
Was it trying to clean a boot-kit infection or something like that? This one thing that scares me about Kaspersky though ive never actually experienced an issue Kaspersky (to me) just feels like the kind of antivirus that does stuff like break bootloaders trying to clean an infection. I like Kaspersky, but......i dunno

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I have installed Kaspersky Internet Security in 2009-2011. Then in 2012 I switched to the free Avast, and from 2018 I returned to Kaspersky. Only already Kaspersky free. What can I say about Kaspersky? Previously, it was worse than it is now in terms of performance, and, in my opinion, it also missed more viruses, web protection was not as good as it is now. But one thing I do not really like about this antivirus now. This is a glut of functionality. It has too many functions that are redundant for antivirus. For example, deleting rare and unused programs (for what?), Cleaning the system of unnecessary or temporary files (why?). As for antivirus, this is all unnecessary. IMHO.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I have used Kaspersky a lot back in the days (10 years ago). But then I changed because I felt it was heavy. Recently I tried Kaspersky again, and it was completely changed. It was really light, especially compared to the "old Kaspersky". So now I'm a Kaspersky devotee again. I have always loved their detection rate, but now it's a no brainer, at least for me.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have used Kaspersky a lot back in the days (10 years ago). But then I changed because I felt it was heavy. Recently I tried Kaspersky again, and it was completely changed. It was really light, especially compared to the "old Kaspersky". So now I'm a Kaspersky devotee again. I have always loved their detection rate, but now it's a no brainer, at least for me.
you can make it even lighter by:
- Settings -> additional -> network -> uncheck "Inject scripts ..."
- (if you have KSFC free or paid kaspersky versions) Settings -> file anti-virus -> advanced settings -> scan mode: change to "On execution"
- Settings -> performance -> Check everything, uncheck "Perform idle scan" and uncheck "Search for software... (rootkit)" => these 2 consume a lot of CPU in the background, deeply hate them

after doing these steps, you can squeeze the best performance out of kaspersky without losing almost any security

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Never tried it but if I had to recommend an AV that provides top notch protection it would certainly be in my top 3. I would definitely use it if I decided to change my protection, it being from Russia matters not.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
The UI is not straightforward when you are coming from 2018 Emsisoft Anti-Malware. But not nearly as confusing as Eset. Some things should be grouped together and logs should be right in the main menu, not hidden away. But the features in Kaspersky are unbeatable.

But the truth is, the default settings are the optimal settings for probably 99% of all users so there is really no need to tweak.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.