Kaspersky Lab Hits Back with Global Transparency Initiative

L

Local Host

Kaspersky Source Code was already available for a limited number of parties and governments, they're just going to widen the gap.

This is dangerous since it will make it easier to exploit Kaspersky Products.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Kaspersky Source Code was already available for a limited number of parties and governments, they're just going to widen the gap.

This is dangerous since it will make it easier to exploit Kaspersky Products.

Their opening access to their source code is more likely to make me use another product than this entire "Kaspersky may be used as a spy tool" discussion...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Ah, but this is MalwareTips, where the Truth shall set You Free.

(ps- Lockdown- I'm going to steal your "Whitelisted" line (Classic). Hope you understand.)

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
I also don't like how they are going to open up their source code, too easy to bypass.

Come now, are US companies such as Apple, M$, Cisco etc supposed to move out and set up in an independent country? McAfee, Norton?

"The National Security Agency has obtained direct access to the systems of Google, Facebook, Apple and other US internet giants, according to a top secret document obtained by the Guardian.Although the presentation claims the program is run with the assistance of the companies, all those who responded to a Guardian request for comment on Thursday denied knowledge of any such program."

NSA Prism program taps in to user data of Apple, Google and others

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I like how the implication always seems to be Kaspersky is doing this or that, spying on this or that, whitelisting this or that.

When the entire US Intelligence and large US Corps are given a free pass when they WILLINGLY do this and sometimes admit to it? Logic should immediately kick in and reveal this as a concerted effort to undermine Kaspersky with no basis in fact or reason.

Let's ignore McAfee reaching out to whitelist Finfisher and other sponsored malware. Let's ignore Vypre setting up VA offices and pulling in Govt. assets, and utilizing this fake-scandal to try and push their product. Let's ignore Trend Micro merging with CIA/Booz Allen Hamilton. Let's not mention Webroot hiring NSA assets. Turn a blind eye to SAS only hiring ex-CIA hackers for their cybersecurity department. Palo Alto and Checkpoint formed by Israeli Intelligence. Lookout Mobile Security, Invincea, FireEye, Cylance and others funded by the CIA. Juniper allowing the spooks to backdoor its gear. The list goes on and on.

So here is Kaspersky.. Never implicated in much of anything. Yet a media storm surrounds him without any evidence or facts being presented. Intel shills out in force continuing to push the Problem-Reaction-Solution directive that keeps failing to take hold. It's all laughable really. I almost want to become an investor in Kaspersky now, he's going to come out on top of this. Watch..

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Curious as to why Kaspersky never breaks the news about FSB malware.

"Yes, Kaspersky Labs has made software for the Russian government. But they’ve also made software for other governments around the world. They’re probably closer to the FSB than they are to other governmental organizations. But that’s to be expected, as they’re based in Russia, and the FSB handles much of the country’s cyber concerns."

- on Makeuseof.com here: Is Kaspersky Software a Tool of the Russian Government?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

One should expect 'some' collusion.. It's been well established that in the USA that level of collusion can reach massive proportions essentially turning third party programs, operating systems, cloud services and appliances into surveillance devices themselves. Without any regulation, with the rubber stamping of FISA and the wayward abuse of national security letters I find it utterly impossible to trust much of anything based in the USA any longer. That obviously includes antivirus/security software. (especially) This near complete lack of evidence of Kaspersky wrong-doing should be indicative of at the very least, their cooperation with the FSB is probably less than US firms cooperation with the CIA/NSA/FBI. At least using Kaspersky, you won't worry about your data falling into the hands of people that can knock on your door, wave around letters to access every bit of your data and if necessary gang stalk you into psychosis. :)

For me, it's all about jurisdiction.. Spreading your eggs around the world in different baskets making it much more difficult for anyone to assert their dominance over your privacy and security. Trust no-one. Your privacy is your right, assert that right and don't make it easy for these scoundrels to walk all over you, your family and your privacy.

Reactions: Parsh and mlnevese

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
ForgottenSeer 58943- Please trust me on this- not all evidence that is used for decision making on an Executive level is a source of discussion on Media outlets.

Sadly the restriction, which was only directed (justifiably) to Governmental Departments and Critical Infrastructure, now extends to the Home User. This was never the intent nor is there such a need.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I don't think anyone doubts that Kaspersky could be weaponized, as could any security software by the way, or that the US Government shouldn't be using Chinese or Russian software in any computer with access to sensitive information... The general outrage is how this whole story became a media circus with very serious accusations based on zero evidence.

As I said in a previous post if anyone accused Symantec of being an NSA or CIA spy software with the same amount of evidence that has come out against Kaspersky, I'd be defending them as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
May I laugh? :

Sin título.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.