App Review Kaspersky Premium

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Kaspersky Premium
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Performance (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
Top Protection of "Home AVs"
Positives
    • Many features
    • Minimal setup required
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Highly configurable
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Effective malware removal
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
GTX 1660 TI
Intel i7-9700k
16GB of Ram
HDD 1 TB, 250GB SSD (K on SSD)
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Kaspersky is a Russian anti-virus founded in 1997 - and its still holding up well till this today. With top tier malware protection in all departments (including java and script malware), along with a light performance impact, I fully recommend this for all users - both advanced and beginner.

Protection:
Kaspersky offer's (probably) the best protection of all of the home anti-viruses. Although protection isnt everything, its a important part in making your decision, and Kaspersky does it really, really well.
In terms of modules, Kaspersky offer's the following:

1: File Anti-Virus (Signature, Heuristic, ML, and Local Emulation based Scanning Engine)
2: Safe Browsing (Anti-Phishing and Malicious Website Blocker)
3: Host Intrusion Prevention System/Application Control (A highly customizable hardening tool allowing for modification of application rights based on reputation, also blocks anything blacklisted in the cloud from running)
4: System Watcher (A Deep ML/Signature Based Behavior Blocker - extremely, extremely effective)
5: Firewall (Blocks malicious connections. Highly Customizable)
6: Network Attack Blocker (Blocks Malicious Network Attacks)
7: Kaspersky Security Network (A Cloud-Based detection system where anything found malicious by detection components is uploaded to the cloud and blacklisted. Also contains reputation of applications and also improves detection of other components)

I would also like to mention Kaspersky offers a Memory Scanner in its home product line.

As you can see, Kaspersky offer's deep Multi-Layered protection. The chance of things bypassing it is low - and I've barely seen it happen.

Performance:
The Performance of Kaspersky is good, but not perfect. Kaspersky on average uses 1% of my CPU, spiking up a bit more when scanning and when applications open. Its light, but not the lightest of the Anti-Viruses.

Customizability:
Highly customizable. You can change many things in the settings related to components. For example, File Anti-Virus lets you choose Heuristic Deepness, what's scanned, etc. Also, components like HIPS/Application Control and Firewall have even more customization - providing per application rules, and with Application Control, you can create a default deny setup and place things into groups depending on reputation.

Other Features:
Kaspersky, besides of protection modules, offers a few other features.

1: Safe Pay (Protected Browser whenever you are performing transactions on the browser)
2: Anti-Banner (Ad Blocker)
3: Private Browsing (Block's Trackers)
4: Privacy Cleaner (Cleans traces of activity)
5: Secret Vault (Keeps important documents and information safe by encrypting it)

It also offers a bit of performance features, such as application start up configuration.

Password Manager and VPN:
Kaspersky Password Manager and VPN are both good. The VPN actually has high speeds - comparable to mainstream VPN's. The Password Manager is also very good, with a password generator, and is easy to use. Also, its not targeted by Info Stealer Malware :D

Overall Verdict:
Kaspersky is great - its really good. If you can get over the trust issues with it being Russian (which I would like to point out there is no proof showing wrong-doing of Kaspersky), I highly recommend it. For me, its blocked all malware threats I've been exposed too - such as Fractureiser (Minecraft Malware), along with some other malware. Kaspersky has consistently protected me and millions of other users, and has been the only AV to save me from Active Infection.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I agree Kaspersky is an first class AV if not the best - One of the points you raise is 'many features' for me that is a bit of a negative, to busy for me - I prefer a more simplistic approach such as F-Secure or Emsisoft for example, although we all have our own opinions & I still rate Kaspersky as excellent+ although I no long use it - Thanks for your review.

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
I trust it. There’s no proof it’s wrong doing and it’s data isn’t in Russia.
But it is not proven that they do not do it. For some reason it is banned from several countries. In my case, I use it on my notebook for 3 reasons:
- Decent Protection.
- It is the only antivirus that has an exit button, that is, you can close it. Other antiviruses cannot do that.
- Very light.
Greetings.
pd:
You may be wondering why I would like to close it, the reason is because if I want to open a heavy game, I close the antivirus, play and then open it again.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
But it is not proven that they do not do it. For some reason it is banned from several countries. In my case, I use it on my notebook for 3 reasons:
- Decent Protection.
- It is the only antivirus that has an exit button, that is, you can close it. Other antiviruses cannot do that.
- Very light.
Greetings.
pd:
You may be wondering why I would like to close it, the reason is because if I want to open a heavy game, I close the antivirus, play and then open it again.
Those are the exact same reasons I use it, Kaspersky Plus, on 2 work desktop PC's. When I'm running the CAD software, it's so easy to Pause Protection or Exit just to be sure it won't slow the program down. Even though I could add the CAD files into Exclusions, Kaspersky is still so light I don't even need to. I also enjoy running the beta on my notebook, as the threads here on how to enable the best protection are 2nd to none. Let alone @harlan4096 and @Berny are here to help :)

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
- Decent Protection.
- Very light.
Greetings.
pd:
It’s more than Decent Protection.

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

@Xeno1234
Thanks for the nice review​

I really hate it when any discussion of evaluating a technical product turns into discussions that are off topic and technology in general
While every person has the right to freedom of expression and express his opinion about any product, he does not have the right to invade the place just to take the discussion from a technical discussion, to discussions in which accusations and assumptions that have no real and proven evidence prevail, and then he ends by saying what he came for, directly or indirectly...
(This is a product from a specific country that you do not use because it is bad)....!!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.