Advice Request Kaspersky Products - To Trust or Not

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you still trust Kaspersky products?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
As I said in another thread if Kaspersky or any other security firm, Russian, American, Martian, whatever, tried to pull a trick like this, meaning actually spying on their users, they would be bankrupt in a few days. The first thing they would get would be all their corporate users cancelling contracts and requiring reimbursements.Then the legal storm would go their way taking whatever money they have left. Also the reputation of any analyst or engineer that works in that firm would be permanently ruined. They would never get another job in the industry.

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Here's what I believe.

To a limited extent, Kaspersky may (and probably does) share user Data to Commercial and Third-Party companies. But Kaspersky will NOT indulge this to a large extent - such as sharing it with Dubious and Criminal Companies - because they are very well aware that the slightest slip-up; and BitDefender, Sophos, Norton and other companies will launch a marketing blitz denouncing Kaspersky - and they WILL succeed. Remember what happened to Web of Trust? Imagine something like that but with corporate power.

Secondly, let us assume that Kaspersky is sending data to the Russian Government (and obviously it does) unless the user installing Kasperky is plotting against Russia - the citizens or the Government, or the Financial system; or any such interest, or any such matters of sensitive interest to the Russian Government, then yes they may need to be concerned. But if it's only used for Personal and Work purposes and nothing more - why worry? If your Electronic device doesn't contain data that is of no concern to them, then they will simply not care.

It's like Sunbathing nude, I guess. If you're a celebrity who doesn't want their nude sunbathing photos to be exposed - take caution. If you don't care, then don't. Simple analogy I hope..

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Even with Windows 10, Microsoft collects all kinds of data from users, and this is a product made in the U.S.A.

Wonder why there are so many free and shareware Windows 10 Privacy programs?

So in the end it becomes not so much about data collection but for most, the security a product provides, whatever one may chose, and the compromises we are willing to make to have it.

Update, running KAF and CFW/CS Settings, and no conflicts or BSOD on my Windows 10 Pro PC, yet.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I guess the alternative to preventing the questionable practice of user data collection is to use a program that is signature less and responds to behavior, like a HIPS program such as ReHIPS or NVTExeRadarPro as some have mentioned on this forum, so there would be no communications between a security program and software servers other than to check for updates, which one can turn off.

The next question would be are programs like these just as effective as traditional AV and Firewall programs? Can they be used as a substitute, or for those of us less advanced, would they open a pandora's box of problems and confusion.

I have tried HIPS before but found some to be overactive, and confusing for myself. That is why I am sticking with a traditional AV and firewall.

lets look it this way, if by some miracle all the things the US goverment implies of Kaspersky are true, what is the Russian government going to do with your data?

If any Russian 3-letter agency wants my system data, then all it need do is send an agent to my front door and ask for it. You want it - here you can have it. By the way - what do you think you can do with it ? They'll probably infect themselves with all the malware it contains. LOL...

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
People say they would rather trust Kaspersky than the US government. Case in point, the CIA/NSA/FBI employ people who are far more skilled in hacking than Kaspersky. There should not be a foreign AV from a dictatorship on any computer owned by the US military computers or their contractors. Automatic file submission could be retooled to collect sensitive data with a single update. Every corporate environment knows this which is why Windows Defender is getting in trouble.

Why on earth is the federal government even using traditional AVs when they have 3-letter agencies employing people who can outsmart any AV? They should be running a CIA/NSA/FBI developed security solution instead. That's the part that really confuses me. They know better.

Case in point, the CIA/NSA/FBI employ people who are far more skilled in hacking than Kaspersky.

Kaspersky has some extremely capable people on staff. I wouldn't say such a thing as there is no basis for judgment.

There should not be a foreign AV from a dictatorship on any computer owned by the US military computers or their contractors.

Probably. However, there is a much greater problem. Since 99 % of all electronic devices or components they utilize are manufactured in China, what is to prevent the Chinese government from finding innumerable ways to plant surveillance and other related software at a very low level on devices right within the factories. ;)

You think that such plans have not already been considered and devised ? The question is whether or not any have been already implemented and put into action.

Food for thought.

Longer term, the cyber security\warfare issue is mightily grim.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Consistent fear for privacy is bad for health as it can lead to sleeplessness. Worse, you wont even be able to take a bath without checking the walls for any hidden cameras :D

I blame the internet for this, because they spook us out more than what's necessary. Like the scam ads on your browser that shows that "your system is infected". Remember the time when we consistently hear that registry cleaners can damage your computer so badly it's impossible to recover. I've been happily using one for years with no damage whatsoever, but things just have been good.

It's all about perceptions, and with the right knowledge that we can tackle all this stuff

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hello I think that any security product you can spy, the most silent are the most dangerous, whether that I see no reason to distrust.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The issue of Kaspersky on alleged connection to Russia Government is nothing to do on the performance brought by their AV, in short both cases are isolated.

What things you need to determine if the product is trusted or not?

1) It does not commit regular human error on updates from signatures or other components.
2) It does not put the product on risk by not patching certain program on time.
3) It does not include any suspicious malware on their product.

However some information are still in the theory like AV's are producing own viruses/malware to claim it is detected by that certain product, so better we need to get straight facts than allegations.

Reactions: Fritz and Solarlynx

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If you believe fake news from CNN or US government, you should not use other than US products, simple.
Norton is actually pretty good, maybe not as light and cheap, but if the privacy is a priority, it is no-brainer.

Why on earth is the federal government even using traditional AVs when they have 3-letter agencies employing people who can outsmart any AV? They should be running a CIA/NSA/FBI developed security solution instead. That's the part that really confuses me. They know better.
They have backdoors in all US made software, it is required by law. Kaspersky is out of their reach, so they have to eliminate it.
People, who use it, follow a simple privacy rule, if in US/EU, use Russian/Chinese software/email/services and vice versa.

Reactions: Solarlynx and Fritz

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
If you believe fake news from CNN or US government, you should not use other than US products, simple.
Norton is actually pretty good, maybe not as light and cheap, but if the privacy is a priority, it is no-brainer.

They have backdoors in all US made software, it is required by law. Kaspersky is out of their reach, so they have to eliminate it.
People, who use it, follow a simple privacy rule, if in US/EU, use Russian/Chinese software/email/services and vice versa.
Do you have evidence for the backdoors? I really doubt they need to use backdoors at all. They will just demand that you hand over the source code and find a vulnerability that way or use an NSL.

Reactions: Solarlynx

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
kaspersky is a threat to the nsa

alot of computers probably come with nsa & gchq spyware. but still... kaspersky, as a russian anti virus, will never deliberately allow them to plant spyware onto your computer. their software won't ignore nsa/gchq spyware. key word here is deliberate

if the russian government found out they were doing this the antivirus company. the chairman, he would be arrested

Last edited:
Reactions: Solarlynx and Fritz

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've only marginally followed the news and this thread, not entirely sure what the allegations are against kaspersky, but reading some posts that make allegations that seem unverified from both sides. I use kaspersky on my home system. My wife worked for US federal govt not too along ago, and IIRC her office ran some enterprise version TrendMicro, although cannot confirm that from memory. (Wiki says TM started in California but now may be Japanese. Unclear to me) In any event, what I do clearly remember, whenever her office had a computer issue, the govt flew in techs from a military contractor to work on their computers. I happened to be in her office when techs came to make some adjustments, and they were serious #####ing people. And this was before the escalation in cyber warfare.

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
All software and for that matter firmware pass on info to their authors and manufacturers.
Do you think other software / countries do not engage in espionage / counter espionage?
Also, most if not all governments are snooping on their own citizens.
So as long as you do not work for a government agency, I do not think you need worry.
Kaspersky is the best in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.