Battle Kaspersky Pure 2.0 or ESET 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgodfrey90

Thread author
Jan 24, 2013
Kaspersky Pure 2.0 or ESET 6? I have been using Pure 2.0 and it has now expired. It let through some obscure stuff that Hitman Pro found. Since it is time to buy a new license, should I stick with Pure or switch to ESET? Not sure which way to go. Norton, Mcafee and Trend are all out because they are nowhere near as reliable as they used to be and they screw up your OS. I have cleaned far too many machines with major infections running these programs.

I want something that is both Win7 and Win8 compatible that are easy on the system resources that won't hose the system at some point and are extremely reliable and aggresively go after malware. I desire a complete security suite with the most types of protection, but a firewall that doesn't outright block everything,no matter how you set it up (had that happen once).

Thanks for any input...I am open to other products with teh exceptions noted above. I do a lot of social networking and browsing as well as online banking and shopping.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 178

first you should create a new Thread here: http://malwaretips.com/Forum-Security-Configuration-Wizard
So you can give more details about your skills and configuration, then we can narrow our suggestions to your specificity.

P

Plexx

dgodfrey90 said:
Kaspersky Pure 2.0 or ESET 6? I have been using Pure 2.0 and it has now expired. It let through some obscure stuff that Hitman Pro found. Since it is time to buy a new license, should I stick with Pure or switch to ESET? Not sure which way to go. Norton, Mcafee and Trend are all out because they are nowhere near as reliable as they used to be and they screw up your OS. I have cleaned far too many machines with major infections running these programs.

I want something that is both Win7 and Win8 compatible that are easy on the system resources that won't hose the system at some point and are extremely reliable and aggresively go after malware. I desire a complete security suite with the most types of protection, but a firewall that doesn't outright block everything,no matter how you set it up (had that happen once).

Thanks for any input...I am open to other products with teh exceptions noted above. I do a lot of social networking and browsing as well as online banking and shopping.

Thanks.

Norton, Mcafee and Trend are just as reliable as Kaspersky and Eset.

However when you say this:
I want something that is both Win7 and Win8 compatible that are easy on the system resources that won't hose the system at some point and are extremely reliable and aggresively go after malware.
I am afraid none will do the job. No solution is perfect.
Out of all names listed there, the one in the lowest resources usage (scan/idle/I/O/CPU) would be ESET but even so, I would stick to ESET 5 and not 6. Both 5 and 6 are also fully compatible with Win8.

If you really want best protection, you need to look at zero day protection, mainly HIPS and while Kaspersky shines as opposed to ESET/Norton/McAfee, it is the most resource usage solution.

You can get away with Emsisoft Internet Security (Paid: Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Online Armor): Behavior Blocker on EAM + HIPS on OA.

Or you can go Comodo route (if you know what you are doing): Comodo Internet Security Premium 5.12 or version 6 (Chiron's guide for maximum protection is recommended: Just google Chiron Comodo Firewall guide).

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
In your case, I would go with Norton.
Norton I have found to be the most balanced as I find it Light and it offers great protection.
Kaspersky can just hog up your system and Eset I found to have a higher RAM usage then Normal.

@Payback, When was the last time you used Norton? Its been a couple of years since it was bloatware, Its been very light on all different PCs, including a real crappy one with a old AMD CPU and 1.7GB of RAM.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Biozfear has nailed it on the head.I use Kis 2013 on Windows 7 & and CIS 6 on Windows 8.

Kaspersky is quite resource intensive depending on your system.On mine it doesnt really affect me.You will notice it on a older system though.

CIS 6 nothing to say about it.It runs smooth as silk on windows 8

I have only used ESET version 6 RC but it runs at around 100 MB.I also like the version 5 better.Again I have not tried the Final Version 6 release

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
3link9 said:
Norton I have found to be the most balanced as I find it Light and it offers great protection.
Kaspersky can just hog up your system and Eset I found to have a higher RAM usage then Normal.

@Payback, When was the last time you used Norton? Its been a couple of years since it was bloatware, Its been very light on all different PCs, including a real crappy one with a old AMD CPU and 1.7GB of RAM.

2011,December 1 :D

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
@3link9

I meant,last time I used NIS,it was 2011 December 1. I used it till 2012 Feb 25 (cause of re-format,and lost license)

dgodfrey90

Thread author
Jan 24, 2013
3link9 said:

I once had five PCs on the bench at one time that all had Norton Endpoint and they all had the worse Rogueware infections ever. Norton let all kinds of crap through. Some of those machines required a format and reinstall even after running numerous malware removal tools including Combofix, which is incompatible with Norton to begin with. So Norton is the absolute not ever going to use again product in my mind.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have never had a good experience with Norton.It is the first thing removed if bundled on a new PC.It is absolutely terrible to get rid of {even with Norton Removal tool} and has caused more problems than benefits from what I have seen.

dgodfrey90

Thread author
Jan 24, 2013
exterminator20 said:
I have never had a good experience with Norton.It is the first thing removed if bundled on a new PC.It is absolutely terrible to get rid of {even with Norton Removal tool} and has caused more problems than benefits from what I have seen.

Agreed!

dgodfrey90

Thread author
Jan 24, 2013
Looks like Comodo 2013 Complete is a really good bargain and has a lot of features. Can anyone share their experiences with this? This is the $40 paid version, not the free version I am looking at. Are there any other additional compatible programs you guys would recommend? MalwareBytes has gotten as bad as Norton and the others as far as I am concerned. Not sure if Hitman Pro is worth the paid version or not. Obviously no one product can catch everything, but I need protection that is reliable and won't crash my PC.

Also, any opinions on Comodo for Mac?

P

Plexx

dgodfrey90 said:
Looks like Comodo 2013 Complete is a really good bargain and has a lot of features. Can anyone share their experiences with this? This is the $40 paid version, not the free version I am looking at. Are there any other additional compatible programs you guys would recommend? MalwareBytes has gotten as bad as Norton and the others as far as I am concerned. Not sure if Hitman Pro is worth the paid version or not. Obviously no one product can catch everything, but I need protection that is reliable and won't crash my PC.

No need to pay for Comodo. Paid versions offer same core protection as free.

What you get extra is not in terms of protection module. Perhaps you can count trustconnect but that is about it.

Give CIS free a test run. Start off with version 5. Once you get comfortable then move to CIS 6.

If you insist on paying, Emsisoft Internet Security will do the job.

Or grab a trial of Kaspersky and take it for a test run and see how will it impact your system (tho I will rather suggest Kaspersky Internet Security).

P

Plexx

dgodfrey90 said:
I once had five PCs on the bench at one time that all had Norton Endpoint and they all had the worse Rogueware infections ever. Norton let all kinds of crap through. Some of those machines required a format and reinstall even after running numerous malware removal tools including Combofix, which is incompatible with Norton to begin with. So Norton is the absolute not ever going to use again product in my mind.

You can't compare Symantec Endpoint with the Home versions. Those are totally different solutions with different protection levels. Only thing that both share is the signatures and perhaps some core mechanics on protection/removal.

As long as you know what you are doing, Norton (home edition products) are just fine. Just a personal preference. I do not particularly like Sonar for example, but that is just me. Many would put McAfee down. I am an Endpoint user just fine. Mind you, the laptop where Endpoint is now installed has been virus free since I got the laptop 2 years ago and it is not used by me. It had avast, MSE, AVG, Forticlient (all free), Panda Antivirus Pro and Norton.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used KIS 2013 for a long time and knock on wood have not had any infections.The only draw back as Biozfear said it it is a bit heavy.How it runs depends on your system.On my laptops and desktops I dont see any slowdown except on boot.I also have Windows 8 on a dual boot with CIS 6 running.I really like CIS 6 and once you get accustomed to the GUI you shouldnt have any problems.I myself am in agreement that for Commodo the free version is just fine.If you are looking at a paid suite I agree that you should give some a trial run on your system.Kaspersky or Emsisoft are very good and if you like one of them that would be money well spent instead of paying for Commodo.

D

Deleted member 178

You want a good mix between high protection & lightness : Emsisoft IS

review here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Emsisoft-Internet-Security-Pack-EAM-OAP

- 2 Engines AV : emsisoft + Bit defender
- The best Behavior Blocker in the market
- One of the top 3 HIPS
- Policy-based sandbox
- 2 complementary Webfilters
- Anti-keylogger

the only cons is it has some cpu spikes during updates and reduce the boot times, but still lighter than KIS on system responsiveness.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There are NO additional PC benefits for the Comodo Complete version.

Comodo Internet Security Premium (FREE):
- Comodo Antivirus Cleans Malware
- Comodo Firewall Protection
- Defense+ Host Intrusion Protection
- Auto Sandbox Technology™
Comodo Internet Security Complete ($40):
- TrustConnect™ Wi-Fi Data Encryption
- Online Backup Stores Critical Files
- Live Expert Virus Removal
- $500 Virus-Free Guarantee

There are LOTS of Free Alternatives to the points listed under the $40.
- Free VPN = Same level of security and anonymity
- Free Online Storage = Same or more storage, more flexible
- Free Forum assistance = Why pay for expert help, when you can learn from your own mistakes -so you don't do it again.
- Learn from above. :D

I don't use a Mac, but some members here might.

dgodfrey90 said:
Looks like Comodo 2013 Complete is a really good bargain and has a lot of features. Can anyone share their experiences with this?

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
dgodfrey90 said:
3link9 said:

What? why would you use Norton with other antivirus? (If I got it right,you installed a 'rogue' software along with Norton end-point security.),also which year? Many people had bad experience with Norton in past,but it is one of major kick-butt Av's now. Anyway,it is upon you,not me or any member of MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.