Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Saying that an AV (Kaspersky in this case) can spy on, means to compare the AV from a malware infection. Are they the same thing? I don't think.
I do not know the political interests, hidden activity with specific goals behind these assertions.
But I think how scary is the power that exists in the conspiracy theory.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
US GOP would spew any bullshit about Russia to save skin atm.

Nothing offensive to me in this statement. GOP doesn't function today consisent with what I envision as the ideal for that group.

Scenario->MS doesn't explain to the US govt the scale of the challenge they face in getting on the same page with such a large international group of customers and clients and also developers and foreign governments. US government doesn't sense the problem but becomes enamored with the possibilities of using MS' connections to individuals and companies to obtain sensitive information. MS misses their opportunity to explain the enormity of the difficulties and becomes prey to government interests from agencies which are ignorant about the issues facing MS and of the potential for global discontention if MS is discovered as doing business with US govt security agencies. Reluctantly at first MS agrees. Now the company is trapped and actually both entities. No way out and a big fall for many is looming.

Now I imagine this could be the year 1995 or so, and who knows what could have happened over many years of interactions between these two. Sure seem to be sketchy protocols and activities in Windows to me. I used to wonder when using Windows 3.1 if there were government back doors in the software.

Last edited:

PCGamer

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2015
I will Trust It
This Thread Is useless In my opinion
As Kaspersky only Bases In russia But they have many experts working for them al around the world also In US.

Reactions: ZeroDay and AtlBo

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Yes, mainly make me laugh and loud! Spies and spies. I don't think no offend but, US does not have much saying about spying.... No need much reseach things. Well, anyway, in this time in world if you think like that, it is like aragornnnn says, smashed all PC's in 1mm pieces and put those micro owen and then go some place where sun not shine.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'd imagine a lot of reputable AV vendors have varying ties with their country's respective governments due to the nature of their business. Kaspersky earns a lot of criticism purely off the basis of their Russian origins and Eugine's educational background but without proof of their alleged spying I'm inclined to trust them as much as any other vendor. At the end of the day they're a multinational corporation who's doing their best to solve a global problem and who's continued existence depends on the trust of their users.

Reactions: ZeroDay and AtlBo

drakester

Level 1
May 14, 2017
You really want to push Avira down people's throats don't you? :D

As for Kaspersky, no doubt Eugene has some friends in the government, there's no way a man as powerful and with the background he had won't have some old acquaintances still in touch.

Would Kaspersky as an organization and security vendor risk their reputation and face all the consequences that being singled out as a Russian government spy would bring? I'm not sure about that, doesn't seem smart to me. I wouldn't use it in the US gov as a cautionary measure though, I would only use US controlled products.

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
I live in Russia, true moved (a few months back) only, but I am Russian. This forum interesting me, many programs interesting me.Believe, for us majority does not divide the program into Russian and American, although and a worldwide policy wants quite another.

Exactly on antiviruses, I think that honesty of well-known brands is approximately identical, otherwise... otherwise, they would not be such popular in certain countries.

Arin

Level 3
Verified
Nov 1, 2014
Whatever I don't like the stone age interface of Avira with full of it's own adware .
another disappointment is whenever it found/detected any infection every time avira scan the memory.
I hate this and this is my personal opinion.
I LOVE KASPERSKY & WILL..

Reactions: military

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Russia must be the boogie man currently in the news, until it gets boring and something else becomes a hot topic. Why can't most news nowadays be about something other than shock and fads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.