App Review Kaspersky Security Cloud Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Would cylancece necessarily have significcantly better chance at detecting unseen?
There does not exist a commercial AV, available for ordinary people, which could have significantly better detection of never seen malware, than Kaspersky with tweaked Application Control. Sadly, Kaspersky Security Cloud (free version) has disabled Application Control.
The available solutions are based on similar techniques, used in Kaspersky (AI, Machine Learning, Cloud Sandbox, Big Data Analytics, HIPS, Exploit Prevention, and many more).
Most AVs have also special teams of experts (like Kaspersky Lab's GReAT) for discovering and analyzing cyber threats.
The above techniques can help to detect the malware. But, AV has to be also usable. So, it cannot apply very aggressive techniques, because of false positives.
All of this is similar to the Human Immune System. It can kill most patogens, but should not be too aggressive because of allergy issues. Some never seen viruses (or virus mutations) can be still dangerous to people.

Post edited/corrected thanks to harlan4096.

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
For me it reiterates the most important anti-malware system there is: C:\ images & backups of every file you wouldn’t want to lose in a location other than a PC or on your network - I use external hard drives & I have four, maybe paranoid but I have an awful lot to lose on my PC's - 1 is better than nothing, ransomware then becomes a inconvenience rather than a tragedy, also hard drive failure can give exactly the same consequences as ransom.

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
There does not exist a commercial AV, available for ordinary people, which could have significantly better detection of never seen malware, than Kaspersky with tweaked Application Control. Sadly, Kaspersky Security Cloud (free version) has disabled Application Control.
The available solutions are based on similar techniques, used in Kaspersky (AI, Machine Learning, Cloud Sandbox, Big Data Analytics, HIPS, Exploit Prevention, and many more).
Most AVs have also special teams of experts (like Kaspersky Lab's GReAT) for discovering and analyzing cyber threats.
The above techniques can help to detect the malware. But, AV has to be also usable. So, it cannot apply very aggressive techniques, because of false positives.
All of this is similar to the Human Immune System. It can kill most patogens, but should not be too aggressive because of allergy issues. Some never seen viruses (or virus mutations) can be still dangerous to people.

Post edited/corrected thanks to harlan4096.

Thank you, I really appreciate your thorough discussion of this - and I agree about the problems of false positives taking resources and creating problems...
I know it has been discussed before, but I guess the best guides for the optimal config of Kaspersky are in the Kasersky section under Anti-Virus?

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
I would say a mid point of both because i think i do have a backup of the most essential files, though not the 'lesser' essentials --> So, my life would not be over in case of a bad event. But yes mid point being pretty good security and good performance. So I'll look in the Kaspersky section then? I have Kaspersky anti-virus sub by the way, not internet security or total version. i don't really see a need for those, at least thus far, and in the future even.

RoxasDev

Level 1
Jul 1, 2017
@RoxasDev
you little devil:) how? what's wrong with trusted app mode? a Vulnerability? or what?buggy by design?

I would say a "flaw" in the Trusted Application module.

I have it bypassed by certificate injection in my LaunchMe dropper & on my ransomware Kyrox and Kaspersky authorizes the launch.

I will contact Kaspersky to show them and possibly help them fix this :)

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Thank you.
I have it bypassed by certificate injection
noob question sorry. what does that mean? you added a cert to windows trusted root certificates?? is it true? the only tool that alerts for such modification is 360 ts hips.
you are very helpful. keep up the good work : ) I will never pay for any av.imo ppl should pirate these kinds of software cuz they can't protect well

RoxasDev

Level 1
Jul 1, 2017
Thank you.

noob question sorry. what does that mean? you added a cert to windows trusted root certificates?? is it true? the only tool that alerts for such modification is 360 ts hips.
you are very helpful. keep up the good work : ) I will never pay for any av.imo ppl should pirate these kinds of software cuz they can't protect well

No, the antivirus does not trust Windows store usually him, COMODO for example does not trust Windows certificate stores because too dangerous, anyone or any program can add its signature as a valid signature.

I recovered and injected a signature of confidence as for example the signature of Avira and I injected it on my dropper and my ransomwar and Kaspersky authorizes the launch. ^^

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Is there another av that would've caught this?

I guess if u added the folder to protected mode in maspersky that would have precented?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Again, as I said before with Scorpion 3.1 test, probably disabling: Trusting digitally signed application setting in Application Control, would stop the attack, also if We tweak Unknown Applications to UnTrusted, would be enough. We all know that Kaspersky default settings can be weak against some types of attacks.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.