Advice Request Kaspersky slowing down my computer.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

asher1101

Thread author
Nov 7, 2018
Based on my observation on my PC:
with 4 gb of ram (low end)

I'm running Kaspersky Antivirus for about 3 months and I have noticed a great difference on how it affects the performance of my computer. Kaspersky slows my entire system for almost 70%. I am using Avast before (but switched to other AV since the scandal of it selling data to third parties). Now I'm switching back to Avast and notice the great difference, now my computer runs smoothly. Any ideas what are the reasons why Kaspersky is heavy on performance?

Reactions: dinosaur07

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Sorrry to say, but isn't a problem of Kaspersky. Sometimes is from your side the "problem". No one have fault you don't have a good computer.

It's like to force something working on something that can't be improved. Maybe if you contact support and ask how to reduce it maybe they will help you.

If your computer is being slow, maybe is time to switch to ESET is more lighter on the System, with less impact. But doesn't have all features that Kaspersky have.

I recommend use ESET Smart Security and no ESET NOD32, Firewall is always important feature to have.

The fault is from your side, not from Kaspersky. It's like "I have a PC with 2GB and Kaspersky slows down it" what I expect with these specs? It's obvious it willn't running smoothly. Just to be clear.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016

I'm running Kaspersky Antivirus for about 3 months and I have noticed a great difference on how it affects the performance of my computer. Kaspersky slows my entire system for almost 70%. I am using Avast before (but switched to other AV since the scandal of it selling data to third parties). Now I'm switching back to Avast and notice the great difference, now my computer runs smoothly. Any ideas what are the reasons why Kaspersky is heavy on performance?
Try Comodo firewall (cruel settings)
OS Armour , H_C , Voodoo shield .
As alternatives for a low end machine.

asher1101

Thread author
Nov 7, 2018

Attachments

• 2020-05-29 05_02_43-Window.png
    2020-05-29 05_02_43-Window.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 361

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Running W10 x64 with only 4GB of RAM is just not so recommended and only 3,77GB usable :rolleyes: o_O...

KAV2020 needs 2GB of free RAM:

Also FWIW a Pentium Silver 1GHz is a relatively weak machine compared to today’s computational power. It might not be the best candidate to run Kaspersky on. Lately Kaspersky has optimized their suite well enough that on a powerful computer it doesn’t noticeably impact performance. However for a lower end machine, overhead will be amplified.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky is too much for this computer. Avast will run much better on slower PCs due to much lower memory consumption. That's my experience. I have many 2GB RAM PCs around me
if you tweak kaspersky heavily, your PC will run much smoother. Default setting is too heavy for my liking even on strong PCs

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
Kaspersky is too much for this computer. Avast will run much better on slower PCs due to much lower memory consumption. That's my experience. I have many 2GB RAM PCs around me
if you tweak kaspersky heavily, your PC will run much smoother. Default setting is too heavy for my liking even on strong PCs

Why comparing Avast with Kaspersky? Avast is Shitty, gargabe. They steal your data and sell to 3rd parties.

Avast / AVG is the poor antivirus you can have on your computer. Gargabe total.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Why comparing Avast with Kaspersky? Avast is Shitty, gargabe. They steal your data and sell to 3rd parties.

Avast / AVG is the poor antivirus you can have on your computer. Gargabe total.

You can disable data collection from the settings. I can understand the hate against Avast but it's not garbage. It has a very good protection/performance impact ratio. Unfortunately, it doesn't even detect PUPs at default settings, so you have to tweak it a bit.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

The requirement for KAV on a 64 bit operating system is 2 GB of ram
The requirement for Avast is 1 GB of ram
I think the problem would be more the system specs than the software.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
FWIW I’ve been switching back and forth between F-Secure SAFE and Kaspersky TS.
On my high end machine (Core i9 9900KS gaming rig), I see almost no performance difference.
However on my ultrabook (Ice Lake), Kaspersky significantly slows down boot up and shutdown, and has a bit of an impact on web browsing speed too when running in Battery Saver mode.

I think on lower end machines you will see behavior more similar to my Ultrabook. No doubt in my mind that Kaspersky will provide better protection but on a lower end device it might make sense to consider a lighter option.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.