vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I think they have earned mention.
Great news! The latest generation of our security solutions for home users has received a Product of the Year 2023 award. It’s the result of extensive multi-stage testing conducted by independent European test lab AV-Comparatives over the course of 2023, which examined and evaluated 16 security solutions from popular vendors. Here’s what this victory means, what it consists of, how the testing was done, and what other awards we picked up.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Looks like it was very close between Kaspersky and Bitdefender as only these two received full marks in all the tests. Kaspersky probably won due to overall having fewer false positives.
Kaspersky = Product of the Year for 2023 (y)
Bitdefender = Outstanding Product of 2023 (y)
License and renewal prices may also played a factor into the final results.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Could this be the reason why some companies do not want to participate in such tests?

Introduction: In the increasingly complex world of cyber security, reliable antivirus software is of immense importance.

However, concerns have been raised about the possibility of manipulating tests to promote specific antivirus products. : Arguments for test manipulation:

1. Financial incentive: It is claimed that some tests may have financial motives to skew the results in favor of certain anti-virus products. These incentives can come in the form of sponsorships, partnerships or even direct payments from specific suppliers. Such conflicts of interest may tempt the testers to manipulate the criteria or methods to promote certain products.

2. Methodological biases: Testers are responsible for creating realistic scenarios to thoroughly evaluate the antivirus software. However, the choice of these scenarios and the criteria for evaluation can potentially introduce biases. Testers can customize tests to focus on areas where a specific antivirus solution excels, which can make it appear superior to others. This can create an unbalanced image and affect the overall ranking.

Last edited:

Pilot777

Level 1
Apr 25, 2022
I think they have earned mention.

Hi, vtqhtr413! Thank You for posting this thread. The original AV-Comparatives article can be found via this link: Consumer Summary Report 2023. However, what I actually disagree with, is Your argument that they have simply "earned mention". Because, literally, all of the products listed in annual AV-Comparatives' summary reports each year - are clearly "mentioned". So, the "earned mention" rhetoric doesn't actually fly, because the Kaspesky product wasn't just "mentioned" in the report, it got "The Product of the Year" award. As far as "they have earned mention" argument goes, each and every one of the products tested by AV-Comparatives - are "mentioned" by default.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Hi, vtqhtr413! Thank You for posting this thread. The original AV-Comparatives article can be found via this link: Consumer Summary Report 2023. However, what I actually disagree with, is Your argument that they have simply "earned mention". Because, literally, all of the products listed in annual AV-Comparatives' summary reports each year - are clearly "mentioned". So, the "earned mention" rhetoric doesn't actually fly, because the Kaspesky product wasn't just "mentioned" in the report, it got "The Product of the Year" award. As far as "they have earned mention" argument goes, each and every one of the products tested by AV-Comparatives - are "mentioned" by default.
My post could be considered promotion by Moderators, they will ask themselves why I posted this, I answered that question up front.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Does anybody still care about these tests and awards? Definitely not me. Although Kaspersky does deserve to be awarded. And not only them, a lot of them work hard.
I consider it along with the test done here and as well as on YouTube. But in my case, since I have a Kaspersky license, I uninstalled F-Secure and installed Plus on my main network work PC due to this report.

I also consider which AV is stable and plays nicely with my PCs. Bitdefender caused issues with two of my PCs that F-Secre and Kaspersky did not, but they both run smoothly and quietly in the background. So for me, that can be the final straw of what I use and why.

Pilot777

Level 1
Apr 25, 2022
Does anybody still care about these tests and awards? Definitely not me. Although Kaspersky does deserve to be awarded. And not only them, a lot of them work hard.
I would assume that the ones who care are individuals interested in monitoring how different IT security products perform relative to one another. So that they can make informed decisions regarding which of the tested products they will buy next. I would also assume that the other interested party are the IT security vendors themselves. For a variety of reasons, ranging from marketing purposes, down to actual technical data concerning protection rate and performance.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I care, which means I like to read them, do they influence me in any way, not really. Entertainment purposes only, it would be kind of boring if they didn't do these anymore. Look at all the discussions they create.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I care, which means I like to read them, do they influence me in any way, not really. Entertainment purposes only, it would be kind of boring if they didn't do these anymore. Look at all the discussions they create.
I particularly enjoy all the "I changed my security solution because of this test results" posts we usually get after every test... As I'm currently using Kaspersky maybe I should change to Avast or Bitdefender just to be different :alien:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I particularly enjoy all the "I changed my security solution because of this test results" posts we usually get after every test... As I'm currently using Kaspersky maybe I should change to Avast or Bitdefender just to be different :alien:
Yep, and I can tend to be one of those :) But when you have 3 licenses for 3 AVs (yep, I'm in ongoing treatment at AV Compulsive Anonymous, AVCA) and 8 PCs in your home and business network, can make it hard not to resist changing up some PC AV software once in a while. Even to test some new ones out. My AVCA counseling sessions, as you can tell, aren't taking hold, yet...lol :)

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
Yep, and I can tend to be one of those :) But when you have 3 licenses for 3 AVs (yep, I'm in ongoing treatment at AV Compulsive Anonymous, AVCA) and 8 PCs in your home and business network, can make it hard not to resist changing up some PC AV software once in a while. Even to test some new ones out. My AVCA counseling sessions, as you can tell, aren't taking hold, yet...lol :)
I was like that for a time. I had a Bitdefender, an Avast and a Kaspersky license all valid at the same time... Bitdefender completely killed my wife's work VPN, no matter how I opened a hole in the firewall... It would work for a day then after an update it would stop, then I tried Avast that gave me 0 problems until it started to false positive a site I needed for work and blocked it even after whitelisting... Then I switched to Kaspersky that gives me some minor problems in some sites but actually respects when I whitelist something.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
ditto & exactly... I got VMware Workstation & have 9 VM win10 clones each configured differently (+ 1 Linux), which has saturated my av compulsion, so now I've narrowed it down to running just 2 or 3 of the VMs but not at the same time. I now rarely make any changes to my hardware pc. Stability works. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.