Advice Request Kaspersky Total Security 2018, web antivirus is resource hog. Disabled.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I'm right that kaspersky antivirus doesnt have the application control? just include in IS and TS?
But the system watcher is enough for a solid protection or?

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
  1. On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Alt and Delete at the same time.
  2. Click Task Manager.
  3. Click the Startup tab. You should now see a list of every program that starts when Windows is loaded. To disabled an item, right click on it and click Disable.
    windows8_taskmanager.png

4. When you are done, close the Task Manager. Changes will apply next time you restart your machine.
Thank you for your suggestion. I am always zealous to to minimize start up programs with Autoruns from Sysinternals. Currently only 3 programs in startup, including KIS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Well I did stop K9 for 10 minutes then visited Softonic and Norton Safe Web did not block it or give a warning. According to MajorGeeks and others ( for example Computer totaal, a Dutch magazine/ website) Softonic installs wrappers with adware, malware and viruses. Back to K9.

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
neither of these symptoms i'm having, i'm using latest Opera, updates just fine.
maybe your best bet would be starting with a clean slate and format?
Well I already did that when with Eset things went wrong. The great advantage of MSE is you never have these annoying kind of things. I wonder what is up coming more in the coming weeks...

holst

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Well I already did that when with Eset when things went wrong. The great advantage of MSE is you never have these annoying kind of things. I wonder what is coming up more in the coming weeks...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Well I did stop K9 for 10 minutes then visited Softonic and Norton Safe Web did not block it or give a warning. According to MajorGeeks and others ( for example Computer totaal, a Dutch magazine/ website) Softonic installs wrappers with adware, malware and viruses. Back to K9.
actually, not everyone flags softonic for unknown reasons although it's reported malicious. Perhaps, softonic in the present doesn't contain malware anymore?
according to virustotal, none of the engines flags softonic
VirusTotal

weird

only custom filters block it
for example, ublock origin's default filter and Steven Black's hosts block it

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Can confirm also here that Softonic does share/host malicious softwares.

Reactions: frogboy

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
if you find KTS web antivirus slow
you can go to Settings -> Additional -> Network -> uncheck this option
this will significantly decrease CPU usage and increase speed
View attachment 183906

if your browser is slow to start, something is wrong with it
try to backup your settings and create a new profile or re-install it

EDIT: 1 more suggestion for PUP web protection
add this filter to you ublock origin
http://hosts-file.net/pup.txt
Hello @Evjl's Rain :)
How are you ?
1/ if I uncheck "inject script..." , will my security be reduced ?
2/ How can I add your filter to µBlock Origin ?
Thanks my friend.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
How are you ?
Thanks my friend.
If the check box is selected, Kaspersky Total Security injects a web page interaction script into web traffic. This script ensures the operation of such components as Safe Money, Private Browsing, Parental Control, Anti-Banner, URL Advisor, and Secure Data Input.
You will lose those features... but still protected at traffic level...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
How are you ?
Thanks my friend.
harlan said it all. I have nothing to add

about ublock origin, just copy and paste the links of the filters into the box at the bottom of ublock main page and then click apply

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As for Kaspersky's web extension: disable without issue

As for Kaspersky's web antivirus module I would highly recommend, DO NOT DISABLE! Same applies for firewall.

You must understand that antivirus developers create a perfect synchronization with all modules in order to achieve one decent solution. For example, Behaviour Blocker (BB) is really tied to firewall. The first one will monitor processes and application's behaviour. Suddenly, it will monitor an outbound connection thanks to its firewall and due to the AI realise such connection belongs to a malicious behaviour an application has. That's how modules are tied to work together.

Now if you disabled Firewall, for example, such scenario wouldn't happen, because no module would have been monitoring the connection so probably BB wouldn't have been triggered.

Avoid at all costs disabling/uninstalling security products components. If necessary, downgrade to a more basic version, or uninstall the product and choose another vendor. But do not sacrifice your system's security and stability.

nclr11111

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Feb 25, 2011
Not using Opera but do use KTS2018. Also have an old machine (Xeon x5680) but with a few more threads than yours. :)
But compared to other AV's, suits and combos I've tried I can't say there are any difference in browserspeed. Using FF with privacy badger, https everywhere and No-script.
I know this doesn't answer your question but thought I'd give some feedback from an equally old machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.